Tealight candles are always in my pantry for their soft glow and convenience. This DIY wine glass tealight candle holder lantern tutorial turns a simple wine glass, some printed craft paper, and a tealight candle into a soft glowing lantern that is beautiful in any room.
You’ll love making your own customized lanterns or tealight lamps for every room and every occasion!
Looking for some DIY lantern ideas to use outdoors? Check out this list of 35 Luminous Garden Lanterns!
DIY Wine Glass Tealight Candle Holders Lantern
These wine glass lanterns are a perfect option when you are looking for inexpensive tealight candle holders. I think they are ideal for a romantic meal with your spouse or on guest tables at a wedding reception.
They can also be used for holiday parties or just because. Mix and match the paper patterns to create a theme that you love!
Where can I buy cheap wine glasses?
One of my favorite places to buy inexpensive glassware is at a dollar store. There are often tons of varieties, styles, and colors for just $1 per glass. Other options are looking at kitchenware outlet stores, bulk shopping warehouse clubs, or yard sales.
You may even be able to ask friends and family if they have spare glasses they can bring to use if you are hosting an event like a reception. Don’t be afraid to use tall slender glasses, martini glasses, champagne glasses, or even a highball or collins glass.
What is the best craft paper for DIY wine glass lanterns?
You can use any craft paper for this lantern, but I find that thicker craft paper holds up best to the shape needed. Traditional copy paper or white business paper is a bit too thin for this purpose. Especially if you are going to reuse them again in the future.
Craft stores like Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, and even JoAnn’s will often have sales on patterned craft paper. You can grab a variety when they are on sale, and store them for use on projects like this one.
Will the paper burn in this wine glass candle holder?
No! The purpose of this tealight candle holders lantern shade is to add some softness the candle burning. If you are using a small tealight candle rather than a taper or votive, the flame will remain low enough that there should be no potential for it to catch fire.
Remember, however, that you need to remove the shade and light the candle inside the glass before you place the paper shade. A deeper glass provides even more space between flame and paper making it a safer option.
Alternatively, you can use any glass if you have some led powered artificial tea lights.
Supplies for a DIY Tealight Lantern
- Wine Glasses
- Craft Paper
- Double-sided Tape or Glue
- Tealight Candle
How to make a Tealight Candle Holders Lantern out of a Wine Glass
Gather your supplies so they are all within reach while you make this cute tealight candle holders craft. You will need to choose the paper pattern you prefer.
Get creative and use fun patterns that match seasons, your favorite prints, or a simple geometric shape. For making the shape properly, you can use our template for lantern shade.
You will cut the paper into the shape of the template to create your lantern shade. In this project, we have used wine glasses, but you can use many different glasses and adjust the template to fit their sizing.
Measure the template against the glass to make sure it fits and trim ends as needed before securing ends together with double-sided tape or glue.
Place your lit tealight candle inside the glass, then drop your newly created shade over the top and display.
- Gather all supplies so they are easy to access while making this craft
- Cut the craft paper or the printable patterns into the correct shape using the template shown. If you missed the printable links click here to print them #Pattern 1 with flowers, #Pattern 2 colorful sticks
- Measure the craft paper to make sure it is the correct size for the glass you have chosen
- Attach the ends of the prepared craft paper using double-sided tape or craft glue
- Place the paper shade over the glass to make sure it fits properly
- Light and place a candle inside the wine glass, then top with the completed paper shade
- Display on tables, benches, or how preferred for event
More DIY Lantern Ideas
I love lanterns because they are just so versatile as decor. You can make them help illuminate a dark room, add beauty to a room, or as a functional centerpiece at an event. Below are some of my favorite lantern tutorials we have shared in the past.
- How to Make Decorative Tea Light Holders from Tuna Cans
- DIY Paper Lantern Floral Centerpiece
- How to Make a Farmhouse Lantern from Inexpensive Picture Frames
- DIY Simple but Beautiful Lantern with Lace
- How to Make Gorgeous DIY Tin Can Lanterns
- Magical DIY Fairy Lanterns Tutorial
- How to Make a Radiant 3D Lantern out of Paper
- DIY Decorative Lamp out of Clothespins
- How to Transform a Glass Bottle into a Simple Decorative Lantern