This DIY denim garland is super easy to make and ideal for upcycling that pair of jeans you ripped recently. You can add a touch of style – and personality – to any room with this project. Made from upcycled blue jeans pockets, each one is unique and full of character. Simply string them together to create a one-of-a-kind garland that’s sure to get the conversation started. Whether you hang it on your mantel or drape it across your dining table, this garland is sure to add some denim-chic flair to your home.
DIY Denim Garland
Upcycle your old jeans and make a one-of-a-kind garland for your home. This project is perfect for anyone who loves to sew, and it’s a great way to use up old denim jeans that you might not wear anymore. The finished product is a beautiful garland that will add some charm to any room in your house.
You can customize the look of your garland by using different colors and patterns of denim pockets. And since this project is so easy to do, you can make several garlands in different colors to match your decor or even a holiday season!
If you like the idea of adding a garland to your mantle, then you are going to love these other ideas. I love the paper hearts garland and this colorful paper fan garland is ideal year-round for a festive decoration.
Where Can I Find Old Jeans Cheap?
If you do not have enough old jeans lying around the house, you can buy some at many places. Of course, you don't want to spend a lot of money on something you are breaking down, so you aren't going to go and buy brand new denim for this project.
I like to get my old jeans from the thrift store. I always check to see what colored tags are on sale that day and I look for jeans that have that colored tag. In many cases, I can get the jeans for just $1 to $3 on sale days.
Another option that I love is the local yard sale or garage sale. Especially for kids' denim pieces. If they are on the worn-out side, you can find them for 2 pairs for $1 sometimes! Since this craft only uses pockets, you don't have to worry about how good the quality of the legs on these pants is outside the pockets.
What Can I Use This Garland For?
This garland is so versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes. Here are a few ideas that I love:
- Hang this on your mantle any time of year as a simple decoration.
- Add holiday-themed ribbons to use this for holiday decoration.
- Drape across the dining table as a table runner, or alternately drape across the side of a table that is being used as a buffet or gift station.
- Use as party decor or alongside a table to signify place settings by adding individuals' names on cards sticking out the top of the pockets.
- Hang in a child's bedroom after adding a message or their name on the backs of the pockets. It is ideal for adding a monogram sticker or letter onto each pocket for a birthday message.
- Use as part of a photography backdrop with different messages for family photos, kids photos, classroom photos, or pet photographs.
What Should I Use to Hold the Pockets Together?
I think the easiest way to hold the pockets together is to simply sew them together by leaving a bit of denim strip on both sides of the pockets. This allows you to sew the individual pockets together, but still leave a bit of room between each for them to dangle properly.
Another option is to use a hole punch for fabric and make a hole on both sides of the pocket to then string a ribbon or twine through to hang them. If you do this, however, you will need to make sure that the ribbon is tied in a knot to hold the pocket in place, or that you glue the ribbon behind the pocket so it stays in place and doesn't slide back and forth.
There is always the option to glue the pockets to twine, fishing line, ribbon, fabric strips, or yarn. The goal is to use what you already have on hand and not spend more money, so get creative!
What Other Ways Can I Decorate This Garland?
There are all sorts of ways you can decorate this Garland. I went with simple and just added the little ribbon bows/ties between each pocket, but you can do all kinds of things to make your garland unique. Below are a few ideas to consider.
- Add embroidery, beads, buttons, or small charms to the pockets to create a theme or message.
- Use different colors of ribbon in between each pocket for a rainbow look.
- Add rhinestones or sequins to "bedazzle" the pockets.
- Use a paint pen or fabric paint to draw patterns or write messages on the pockets.
- Spray with glitter spray or fake snow for holiday-themed mantle decorations.
- Tuck figurines or messages into the pockets so they poke out over the top.
There are so many ways you can personalize it to make it your own. As with most of our projects, just use your imagination and get a bit creative to customize this denim pocket garland for your own style.
- Old denim
- White beaded ribbon
- Pink and white checked fabric or ribbon
- Blue sewing thread
- Sewing needle
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
Note: A sewing machine can be used for this project if one is available.
How to Make a Denim Garland Out of Old Blue Jeans
Measure the length of the garland you plan to hang on the mantle, and then cut out enough pockets from old blue jeans to cover that length. When cutting out the pockets, leave a 1" strip of denim on each side of the pocket. This is used to sew them together to create the garland.
You will use 8 to 10 pockets total, on average, but if using children's denim, you may need more pairs for this project.
Once you have all of the pockets cut out, arrange them how you want them to hang. I like the idea of having them alternating colors or washes. Now, using needle and thread or the sewing machine, sew together the pockets, using the extra strips on each side.
Once all of the pockets have been sewn together into a garland, you will then decorate it. I cut 6" long by 1" wide strips of pink fabric or ribbon, one to go in between each pocket.
Now, tie these ribbons between each pocket. You can tie in a bow or just a knot. You can also add a bit of ribbon on the two ends to make it easier to hang on the mantle.
Now, decorate the pockets as you wish with beaded ribbon, beads, fake pearls, or rhinestones.
More Easy Denim Crafts
Old blue jeans are ideal for use in crafting. Whether you are turning them into a fun new outfit, or you are using them on something new and different like this garland, there are tons of ways to turn that old pair of blue jeans into something new. Make sure to bookmark these ideas, print out the tutorials, or pin them to a board on Pinterest.
- How to Make a Fashionable Denim Bag
- Stunning Old Denim Patchwork Quilt
- How to Make Drink Coasters Out of Denim Blue Jean Pockets
- 40 Incredible Repurposing Projects for Old Blue Jeans
- Mini Christmas Tree from Old Jeans
- How to Make Flowers Out of Denim Jeans
- Cut out the pockets from old blue jeans, leaving a small 1" strip of denim on the top of each side of the pockets. This will be used to sew the pockets together for the garland.
- Repeat this for 8 to 10 pockets, until you have as many as you want to make the garland as wide as needed.
- Once all of the pockets have been cut out, use a needle and thread or sewing machine to sew the pockets together using the small strip of denim on each side of the pockets.
- Once the pockets are sewn together into a garland, you will then begin cutting 6" strips of the pink ribbon or a 1" wide by 6" long set of strips of pink fabric.
- You will need one of these lengths of ribbon to go between each pocket and on each end.
- Now, tie these strips of ribbon between each pocket.
- Then, cut a strip of beaded ribbon the width of the pockets for a few of them, and glue it into place as an accent on the middle two pockets, or every other one if desired.
This is great to make using blue jeans that already have details and beading on the pockets.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bandana Fabric Bunting Bandana Fabric Garland Bandana - Etsy
Denim Bandanna Garland Western Cowboy Party Decor BBQ - Etsy
Denim Garland BBQ Decor Barn Wedding Decoration Blue Jean - Etsy
Denim Bunting Denim Banner Denim Pennant Garland - Etsy
Farmhouse Wood Bead Garland Beach Coastal Living Wood Bead - Etsy
Jean Pocket Bunting Novelty Gift Storage Solution - Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
This is a fun project you can customize with different colored ribbons or fabric between the pockets each season.
Tuck little toys or themed items into the actual pockets for a fun addition. Ideal at holiday time.