Enjoy making craft projects out of old denim? Then you will love this easy floral centerpiece which you can create out of an old pair of jeans. It has a rustic flavor which will fit in great with other homespun decors.
And you can be sure that your creativity will receive a lot of compliments.
Want to See How Flowers Were Made From Jeans?
Not only will you be making a denim-decorated vase for your flowers, but even the flowers themselves will be made out of denim. In this video tutorial, you will discover that it is surprisingly easy to achieve this lifelike effect.
How to Make Flowers From Old Jeans: What You’ll Need
Let's gather the supplies that you will need to make this rustic decor project. For tools, you will just need scissors, hot glue and a hot glue gun.
For materials, you will need a pair of old jeans, some gardening wire, rustic ribbon, faux pearls, and a vase.
Regarding the vase, the only important thing is to make sure that you pick one that is not larger in circumference than the circumference of the pant legs on your pair of jeans.
Otherwise, there will be no easy way to cover the vase with denim. Extra steps would be required.
What Can You Do With Your Finished Floral Décor Made From Jeans?
Once you have completed your floral decor made from old jeans, it can bring rustic charm to any table, shelf or desk. Make one for yourself, and make another for a friend. After all, you have two pant legs to work with.
Flowers From Old Jeans Video Tutorial
Now that we've talked about the supplies you need to create a floral centerpiece using old denim, check out the quick list of materials and tools you will need below. You can also find written instructions to accompany the video tutorial. Let's get started.
How to Make Beautiful Flowers Out of Old Jeans
Did you know you can create beautiful flowers out of an old pair of jeans and turn them into a rustic centerpiece? Find out how to do it.
- Old jeans
- Gardening wire
- Rustic ribbon
- Faux pearls
- Hot glue and glue gun
- The first thing you'll need to do is figure out how much of the pant leg you need to cut out to cover your vase. The best way to make sure that you have enough material is to stuff the vase inside the pant leg, and then pinch it together at the bottom. Then go down an inch or so two from there, and mark where that spot is. Next, remove the vase and use your scissors to cut out that section of the pant leg.
- You need to close one end of the pant leg off so that you can set the vase inside. This is why I had you go an inch or two below where you pinched the fabric together. That way, you can apply glue to that section and fold it up to close the pant leg. Press down and wait for the glue to dry before proceeding to the next step.
- You can now insert the vase into the pant leg. Obviously, the base of the vase should rest inside the closed end of the pant leg, with the opening of the vase being at the top with the opening of the pant leg.
- For this project, I used a vase which pinched together just below the mouth. This made it easy for me to tie a rustic ribbon around the vase and make a bow. This type of vase is ideal for this project, but even if you do not have one, you can still tie a ribbon around yours. If you are worried about it sliding around, you can just dab on a little glue to keep it in place.
- Now, we will make the denim flowers. For each one, you need to cut a long strip of denim. Try and make them around 20 cm in length and around 3 cm in width.
- Fold the strip of denim in half. Then fold it in half again. Repeat this step a few more times.
- Cut a scalloped shape along one edge.
- Unfold the strip of denim and lay it flat. You should see the scalloped shape continue along the entirety of the length along one side.
- Apply glue along the straight edge of the strip of denim, and start rolling it up.
- As you did not glue together the scalloped edge of the strip of denim, you can fan it out and arrange it so that the scalloped shapes look like flower petals. It should come out looking like a rose.
- Get your gardening wire and wrap it around the base of the rose and then pull it out straight below that so that you have a stem attached to the flower.
- If you want, you can glue a faux pearl to the center of your flower.
- Continue creating as many flowers as you want.
- Once you have completed making your flowers, it is time to put them inside your vase and display them. I decided to add some paper flowers to mine as well since I make a lot of paper flower crafts (please see the next section if you would like to see some tutorials for those). The blue and white look nice together and offset one another, making each flower stand out more.
What to Make Next After You Create This Rustic Floral Centerpiece from Old Jeans
If you had a good time learning how to make roses out of old jeans, I have some more crafts to share with you. First of all, I had promised to link you to some tutorials for making paper roses which you can add to your denim arrangement.
Here are 10 easy ways to make DIY roses out of old book pages.
I figure you might also be interested in trying some more DIY crafts from old jeans. So here's a project for making a repurposed denim rag quilt.
You can also make drink coasters out of old jeans or if you really want to go wild, you can try a bunch of projects in our list of 40 craft ideas for repurposing up old jeans.
Amazing idea! 🙂
No so rag rug made out of old denim jeans. How to make a rug out of that.