Are you looking for the perfect hairstyle for your next big event or for prom? Look no further! This side twist and the braided low bun is a perfect solution. It takes just minutes to put together, doesn't need special tools, and looks absolutely gorgeous. I love that it works for medium-length or long hair and can even work for any texture of hair.
Braided Low Bun Prom Hair
A basic bun is just boring, especially if you are looking for hair that is fancy enough for an event. If this braided low pun is on your radar, then you probably need something that can look upscale without taking a ton of time. My favorite part of this side twist bun is that anyone can do it. There are no special skills or tools needed to put this up.
If you like this idea, then you might also like this list of braided updo styles. They are great for events like the prom, and worth adding to your list of possible hairstyles to make. There are tons of ways to create a unique look and style, and this is just one of the possibilities. Another great option is this side Dutch braid hairstyle. It's simple and beautiful!
What Tools Are Needed To Make This Prom Hairstyle
One of my favorite things about this particular prom hairstyle is that you don't need a lot of products or tools. In fact, a hairbrush and bobby pins can do the trick. I do like having additional hair bands and a decorative pin or two on hand, but they aren't always needed.
Tools I Use
While this particular low bun tutorial doesn't require a lot of tools, I do have a collection of items that I recommend having on hand. The products below are some of my personal favorites and are ideal for creating a number of hairstyles for long hair. Check them out and add what fits into your collection of haircare products.
- Wide-tooth comb
- Detangling brush
- Hair rubber bands
- Satin hair ribbon (optional)
- Topsy Tail braiding tool (optional)
Other Items I Love:
Side Twist and Braided Low Bun Tutorial
This style works on any hair texture and most lengths. You can create this look with both freshly washed, clean hair, and slightly dirty hair.
Part your hair on the side or on your natural part. Start this hairstyle by combing your hair and removing any tangles.
Start on the side closest to your part, and begin pulling hair back and twisting it under.
Just pull back from your hairline about 1", twist under, and continue the process as you work your way down and behind your ear, adding to the hair and twisting.
Once you reach the base of your neck and the end of your hairline, secure it in place with a few bobby pins.
Repeat this process on the opposite side, until both sides are twisted and secured with bobby pins.
Now, you will gather the hair at the nape of your neck together and divide it into 3 sections. This will be the base of your braided bun.
Begin a classic three-strand braid and continue to the end of your hair, and secure with a hair elastic.
Now, go back through the edges of the braid and pull them loose just a bit so it makes a fuller-looking braid.
Do this on both sides all the way to the bottom of the braid so you have created a full look that makes the braid look thicker.
Next, you will begin rolling the braid back up toward your head. Start at the end, and just roll into a bun shape as you move upward.
Roll it over itself, then once you reach the nape of your neck, push it against the back of your head, and begin pinning it into place.
Add bobby pins on all sides until the bun is secure.
Tips For Making This Bun Prom Worthy
If you are wearing this style to an event or to prom, you may want to update it just a bit to make it a little fancier or more upscale. There are a number of ways to make it unique, and below are some of my favorite methods of taking this from pretty to stunning in minutes.
- Add decorative hair pins or combs behind the twisted sections on the sides of your head.
- Use decorative bobby pins to secure the braid into place as a bun against your head.
- Weave a ribbon or beaded ribbon into the braid before putting it into a bun so you have pops of color throughout.
- Add a decorative comb just above the bun on the back of your hair.
- Wear with a small tiara or beaded addition to the top of your hair.
- Pull a few tendrils loose around the edge of your hairline to curl and let hang down.
More Hairstyle Tutorials
I am always looking for something different to do with my longer hair. This idea is just one of many that work to give you a beautiful look with little effort. Below are some more of my personal favorite hairstyles for you to try. Find the ones you like on the list and bookmark them. You can also print out the tutorials with pictures or simply pin them to a hairstyle board on Pinterest, so they are handy when you are ready to put them to use.
- Elegant Braided Side Ponytail Hairstyle
- Single Twist Half-Up Prom Hairstyle
- Braided Dual Top Knots Half-Up Hairstyle
- Spring Inspired Half Up Half Down Hairstyle
- Half Up Half Down Hairstyle Tutorial with a Twist
- Easy Bubble Braids Festival Hairstyle
- Lazy Day Knot Braid Hairstyle
- Comb and remove any tangles from your hair, then part it on the side.
- On the side by the part, begin at your temple, and pull the hair back twisting inward toward your head as you go. Continue this pulling back and twisting until your each the nape of your neck. Secure the twist against your head and in place with bobby pins.
- Repeat this process on the other side of your head.
- Now, gather the hanging hair, and divide it into three sections. Braid this in a traditional 3-strand braid until you reach about 2" from the bottom of the hair.
- Next, go back over the braid on each side, loosening it slightly to create a fuller look.
- Then, roll the braid over itself and into a bun against the nape of your neck. Secure the braided bun in place with bobby pins.
This look is wonderful with a tiara hairpiece.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Honest Company Conditioning Hair Detangler | Leave-in Conditioner + Fortifying Spray | Tear-free, Cruelty-Free, Hypoallergenic | Sweet Orange Vanilla Everyday Gentle, 4 fl oz
Bartosi Star Hair Pins Rhinestones Hair Clips Crystal Hair Barrettes Decorative Bobby Pin Fashion Hair Pieces Hair Accessories for Women and Girls (Pack of 4)
Youxuan 1000-Pack Elastic Hair Ties Non-slip Rubber Hair Bands for Girls, Clear
Crave Naturals Glide Thru Detangling Brush for Adults & Kids Hair - Detangler Hairbrush for Natural, Curly, Straight, Wet or Dry Hair (TURQUOISE)
LilMents 12 Mixed Designs Satin Head Hair Handbag Handle Highlights Scarf Tie Lot (Solid Colors A)
Laicky Bobby Pins, 200Count Brown Hair Pins Hairpins with Box for Women Lady Girls Kids Hair Pin Invisible Wave Hairgrip Barrette Hairclip Bulk Hair Accessories (Brown,2.2 Inch)