For those of us with longer hair, a ponytail is an everyday need sometimes, but if you are like me, you want to feel a bit more pulled together. This super easy, lazy day knot braid hairstyle is one of my go-to choices. It looks like you have intricately braided your hair, but really you've just tied knots and overlapped sections of hair to create a lovely look that is casual but can be used for a professional look.
Knot Braid Hairstyle
One of the things I love about this style is that it takes just a few minutes to put together and you don't need any special skills to make it happen. This is one of those styles that even the novice and make look great. Add a few accessories like a ribbon, barrette, or a special tie to the base and you can take this from casual to upscale.
This style is a personal favorite because it takes only 10 minutes or less to create. Plus, it is ideal for those days when my hair needs washing but I am short on time. It keeps all of the hair pulled away from my face, while still being a style that is attractive and professional looking if needed.
What Do I Need to Create This Hairstyle?
One of the best things about this is that you don't really need anything more than a comb and hair ties. I prefer using the small rubber band style hair ties for this as they are slim and don't create added bulk. Try to match the shade of your hair if possible for a more seamless look.
Below are a few items I keep on hand for working with different hairstyles. While not all are needed for this particular lazy day knot braid, you may want to stock your bathroom with them for future styles.
Tools I Use
Other Items I Love:
How Can I Make This Hairstyle More Professional?
While it tends to come together and look professional as is, you may find that you want to make it just a bit cleaner for wearing to work. While it is a lazy day hairstyle, it is still ideal for wearing in any professional setting. If you want to update it just a bit for your workplace, below are some ideas that can add class and style.
- Use a comb and gel when pulling each section of hair back to smooth out flyaways.
- Make a part in the center of your hair before you begin and pull using a comb for the exact divisions of your hair.
- Tie in a beaded ribbon with each knot to add sparkle.
- Braid the bottom portion of hair then tuck it underneath the main portion and pin it into place similar to a bun.
- Add a decorative comb at the top of the hairstyle just before you begin knotting it.
And if you want something more professional that is different, definitely check out this elegant low bub braided hairstyle. It's so pretty and yet ideal for any event or situation.
How To Create the Lazy Day Knot Hairstyle
I find that braids are best done on hair that hasn't been freshly washed. This hairstyle, however, works great with freshly washed hair or dirty hair because you are working with ties between each knot. Either option will work, so this is one hairstyle you can keep in your arsenal for any day of the week.
Before you begin, make sure to comb out your hair and make sure there are no tangles or knots. If needed, use a bit of detangler on your hair at this point. You can also add a bit of mouse or gel if you want the style to hold longer or to keep flyaways and fuzz under control.
Pull back a 1" portion of hair from the top front, just above your ears. You will pull back a small section, leaving the hair on top of your head combed downward. If desired, you can put a solid part into your hair, but I like the simple combed back look for this.
Pull these two pieces together and then loop them into a knot against your head. You want to loop and knot but don't pull this too tight. The goal is for it to look loose but still pulled together. Tie off with a rubber band. You can pull some of the hair out to fluff a bit if desired.
Repeat this process, bringing back another portion of hair from each side. Make a loop and tie it like a knot, making sure when you do so, you tie it separate from the one above.
You want to keep the hanging pieces separate each time. Continue this process, until you have reached the base of your neck.
Pull just a small amount of hair each time to create more knots and a bigger braid, or leave it with larger portions for a bit sloppier look with a larger thick braid.
Pull the pieces from beneath your last knot and knot them over the entire base. Tie off with a rubber band.
Continue doing this until all of the hair has been gathered and knotted then tied off with a rubber band.
If desired, you can wrap a bit of hair around the bottom knot and tuck it under the band to cover the rubber band. The rest of your hair can also be braided at this point or left loose at the bottom.
A ribbon or bow can be added or left as is for a clean and sophisticated look.
More Easy Hairstyles
If you like this idea, then I know you'll love some of our other easy braids and hairstyles for long hair. Below are a few favorites for you to check out, bookmark, and use soon to give your hair some new flare!
- Simple Braid with Ribbon Hairstyle
- Fishtail Ponytail Pigtails with Bow Accent
- Braided Crown Princess Hairstyle
- Braided Dual Top Knot Buns Half Up Hairstyle
- Easy Half Up Side Braids Hairstyle
- On both sides of the head, pull back a 1" section of hair from just above the ears. Leave the top of your hair combed down but pull only the side pieces. Once they are behind your head and centered, fold over and loop to create a knot. Pull together, then tie off with a hair band.
- Repeat this process bringing back another portion of hair from each side just above the ears. Make a knot and tie it separately from the first section.
- Continue this process to the nape of the neck, leaving the separate pieces hanging each time and just creating the knots with the sides you pull back.
- Once at the name of the neck, pull the pieces from behind that have been hanging down, and create a final knot OVER the top of the base of the others. Tie this off with a rubber band.
- Pull one section of this remaining hair out and wrap it around the hair tie then secure it behind and underneath the braid.
You can continue braiding the hair in a regular plait to the end if desired rather than leaving the ends loose as shown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OGX Refresh Revitalize Extra Strength Dry Shampoo, Argan Oil of Morocco, 5 Ounce
12pcs Topsy Tail Hair Tool, MORGLES Hair Braid Tools Hair Braid Tool Topsy Tail Maker,Hair Loop Styling Tool Topsy Twist Hair Tool Set, 6 Colors
Ribest ⅜ inch Solid Grosgrain Ribbon Set for Gift Wrapping and Bow Hair Accessories-60 Yards (2 Yards*30 Colors)
Crave Naturals Glide Thru Detangling Brush for Adults & Kids Hair - Detangler Hairbrush for Natural, Curly, Straight, Wet or Dry Hair (TURQUOISE)
Onedor Handmade 100% Natural Green Sandalwood Hair Combs - Anti-Static Sandalwood Scent Natural Hair Detangler Wooden Comb (Wide Tooth)
1000 Mini Rubber Bands Soft Elastic Bands for Kid Hair Braids Hair