I love braids, but sometimes they get boring. This stacked braids hairstyle is a lovely choice that makes them look just a bit different. It has a unique Bohemian style to the look, and you only need to know how to make a simple three-strand braid to create this long hairstyle look.
Stacked Braids Hairstyle
This hairstyle is one that is ideal for medium-length to long hair. You could do this with a shorter hairstyle, but it wouldn't work well with anything less than shoulder length. If you have shorter hair, you may want to check out these short hair hacks instead.
If a boring braid is something you don't want, then this stacked braids idea is perfect. You basically will separate your hair into three main sections, and braid each one simply. Then you get to combine those braids into one large stacked braid. The look takes ordinary and turns it extraordinary with no special tools or skills needed!
What Do I Need to Make Stacked Braids?
I love that this is one of those hairstyles you truly just need a comb and hairband to make. For this braid, I like to use a final hair tie at the bottom with something special. A beaded tie or even a ribbon tied over the hairband can add a bit of something extra to the look.
Tools I Use
Below are some ideas of things I keep on hand for doing braids and various hairstyles. While they aren't necessary, they do come in handy and are worth checking out to add to your hair care collection.
Tools I Use
- Wide-tooth comb
- Detangling brush
- Hair rubber bands
- Satin hair ribbon (optional)
- Topsy Tail braiding tool (optional)
Other Items I Love:
Bohemian Stacked Braids Tutorial
As with any hairstyle, you first begin by combing your hair and removing any tangles. If your hair is naturally curly, you will want to at least finger comb to make sure you have no tangles that will create issues as you braid the hair. Once it is free from tangles, you will begin this simple stacked braids hairstyle.
Note: This hairstyle can work with both freshly cleaned hair as well as hair that hasn't been washed in 2 to 3 days.
Once your hair is combed, you will divide it into three sections. Just above the ear on both sides, you will part the hair so you have a section of hair from the front of your head on both sides.
Then, when you pull these back to connect, you will not pull in the hair on the back of your head. So, the hair will only be from the sides and not the top or back.
Once you have the two sides at the back of your head, you will then connect them together with a hairband. Do not pull in any of the hair from underneath, only tie the two side pieces together.
Now, you will twist this hair by pulling the end of the hair over and under the hair tie. Do this 1 to 3 times, depending upon how tight you want the twists on the sides to be.
Now, you will begin the braids. Divide the hair into three sections. One section on each side, and then the middle back of the head and end of the twist you just made.
Begin with the middle, and braid it together with a traditional three-strand braid. Secure the end with a hair tie.
Then repeat this process with the section on first one side and then the other.
When done, you will have three braids, one on each side and one in the center of the back of your head.
Now, you will treat each of these braids as a section for a final, three-strand braid.
Pull the sides to the back and braid these to the end and then connect with a hair tie.
Lastly, you can start at the top and work your way down the braid, pulling each section out just a bit to make it look a bit less structured and more Bohemian in style. When the braid is completed, you can spray with hairspray to set it in place if desired, but this is not necessary.
How Can I Make This Braid Look Unique?
One of the best things about this hairstyle is that it looks so great all by itself. It is quite simply, just a nice set of stacked braids. It is fancy enough for an event, but easy enough for you to throw your hair into on a busy morning headed to work. Plus, this allows you to braid and then pull your hair down at a later time and have stunning curls throughout. Below are a few more ideas to make your stacked braids extraordinary.
- Tie a ribbon around the original two pieces at the back of your head. Then, braid these into the final braid, adding one to each of the outside braids as you stack the three together at the end.
- Use a decorative barrette or bobby pin around the top of where you combine the braids together. You could also add one at your natural side part if you prefer.
- Use a decorative hair tie or ribbon on the end of the hair after you are finished braiding it.
- Divide your hair into more sections, adding two on each side so you have a total of 5. Use this to create a fishtail-style stacked braid.
- Add pins or clips throughout the braid that have rhinestones or flowers to give it more of a Bohemian look once complete.
More Easy Hairstyle Ideas
If you are like me and you need more ideas to use with longer hair throughout the week, don't worry! I have some great ideas below that are easy to create and ideal for daily wear. A few changes can turn any of these braids from basic to fancy and ready to use for an event in a matter of minutes. Make sure that you bookmark these tutorials, print out the handy guide, or pin them to a hairstyle board on Pinterest so they are easy to find when you are ready to braid.
- Simple Braid with Ribbon Hairstyle
- Fishtail Ponytail Pigtails with Bow Accent
- Braided Crown Princess Hairstyle
- Braided Dual Top Knot Buns Half Up Hairstyle
- Easy Half Up Side Braids Hairstyle
- Comb hair and part in the middle. Then, divide the hair with the section in front of the ear on both sides being pulled back and tied at the back of the head. Do not include the hair below this, but just the two sides.
- Then, turn this section over itself to twist, by pulling the hair over and under the tie 1 to 3 times.
- Now, divide the hair so you have a section on both sides and the rest on the back as the third section.
- Braid each of these sections in a three-stand braid and tie at the end.
- Now, pull the two side braids back to the back of your head and braid these individual braids together in a three-strand braid. Tie at the end.
- Gently pull and separate the braids to give it a Bohemian look.
Adding pins with flowers or rhinestones throughout the braid turns it into an elegant wedding hairstyle.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
LilMents 12 Mixed Designs Satin Head Hair Handbag Handle Highlights Scarf Tie Lot (Solid Colors A)
Mehayi 20 PCS Macaron Pearl Acrylic Resin Metal Fashion Hair Clips Set, Handmade Cute Hair Barrettes Bobby Pins, Gold Metal Hairpin Hair Accessories Headwear Styling Tools, Gifts for Women Girls Decorative Party Wedding
8 Pcs Big Satin Hair Bows for Women Girls, 8 Inch Large Bow Hair Clip Barrette Hair Ribbon Bows French Style Hair Accessories
Crave Naturals Glide Thru Detangling Brush for Adults & Kids Hair - Detangler Hairbrush for Natural, Curly, Straight, Wet or Dry Hair (TURQUOISE)
Youxuan 1000-Pack Elastic Hair Ties Non-slip Rubber Hair Bands for Girls, Clear
The Honest Company Conditioning Hair Detangler | Leave-in Conditioner + Fortifying Spray | Tear-free, Cruelty-Free, Hypoallergenic | Sweet Orange Vanilla Everyday Gentle, 4 fl oz