Looking for a fun and creative way to repurpose those old jeans that you never wear anymore? This denim-covered storage box tutorial is an easy DIY project that is a perfect way to add some personality to your home décor. Plus, it’s a great way to upcycle those old denim pieces that you have hanging in your closet.
Denim Covered Storage Box
This idea upcycles an empty box and old denim to create the perfect way to organize your space and add a little bit of stylish flair. The best part about this project is that it’s easy to customize. You can use different fabrics or trims to create a one-of-a-kind storage box that is perfect for your home.
This is also a perfect craft to make with your kids. It is fast, easy, and only needs a few supplies you have on hand. Make one for every room, or just for their desk! It's made out of recycled denim, so it's eco-friendly and stylish too.
We love making fun new ways to organize. You might remember this method of turning a cardboard box into a storage solution, or this fun idea to make a cardboard box drawer that is super easy and cute.
Should I Seal The Denim On This Box?
I don't think there is a need to seal the denim on the box. However, if you would like to, you certainly can. I would use a spray sealer because it is the easiest, however, a brush-on method such as Mod Podge would also work.
While it would be nice to keep it stain-free, since it is denim, it's fairly easy to wash off any stains with a damp cloth. Sealed or not, it should work great for a long time to suit your storage needs.
Can I Make This Any Size?
Absolutely! You can make a box covered in denim in whatever size you want. I like using cardboard boxes I already have from things like Amazon packages, but you can also cut down cardboard and create your own custom size to cover in denim.
Just adjust your measurements and cut the denim to suit as needed. If you can't cover it completely with just a single piece of fabric, you can always make it even more unique by creating a striped look using different shades of denim.
What Can I Use a Denim Storage Box For?
There are so many uses for a denim storage box! You can use it to store anything from throws and pillows to books and magazines. How you use it will mostly depend upon how large you make the box, but below are some ideas that this smaller size would work great for in your home.
- Sit on your desk to hold pens, pencils, markers, scissors, stapler and staples, note cards, or other smaller office supplies.
- Use to sort and store kids' small games or toys such as cards, dolls, or puzzle pieces.
- Add to your craft close to store rolls of vinyl, bits of scrap fabric, or paints.
- Place on a picnic table to hold silverware and napkins for a weekend barbecue with friends.
- Use it as the base of a gift basket and fill it with treats for your friends and family.
- Organize spices that you use regularly and keep them near your stove.
- Sit on a side table in your living room for small books, magazines, coasters, or even the remote controls.
- Place on your bedside table to hold your chargers, reading glasses, books, or journal.
- Add to your bathroom counter to hold makeup, perfume, skincare items, or hair accessories.
Basically, for anything that you need to organize and store, this old blue jeans-covered box is perfect for it!
How Else Can I Decorate a Denim Box?
As with most of our projects, this is just a base tutorial and is ideal for customizing to suit your style and needs. Below are some ways you can make your box a bit more unique or better suit your needs.
- One idea is to add some fun appliques or patches to the denim. This is a great way to personalize your storage box and make it unique.
- You could also add some embroidery to the denim. This is a great way to add a pop of color or pattern to the storage box. Embroider the denim by hand if you have the skill, and make it custom with a theme or message.
- Another idea is to add some beads, sequins, or other embellishments to the denim. This is a great way to add some sparkle and interest to the storage box.
- Cover smaller strips of cardboard with denim to slip inside the box to divide it and give a more orderly sectioned look for items.
- Add a ribbon or lace around the top edge of the box.
- Sew or glue on handles on each side to make it easy to carry. This is ideal for using handles from an old purse.
- Empty cardboard box
- Old blue jeans
- Lace ribbon
- Fake pearl beads
- Sewing needle
- White thread
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
How to Make a Denim Covered Storage Box
Begin by choosing a box you want to cover, then measuring it. You will need the width, length, and height/depth of the box. A smaller box is easiest since you can cover it with just one strip of denim, but if needed you can sew or overlap denim to cover the entire box.
Now, cut the leg off of a pair of blue jeans, then cut the seam out of them to create one wide piece of denim. Set the seam aside but do not discard it. Use the measurements you made earlier, and trace out that shape onto the denim, add an extra 1" around all sides then cut out this piece of denim. If it is soo small, then divide it into different sides and cut each side out individually.
Now, place the box in the center of the denim (inside facing up), and begin pulling the denim up and over the sides, gluing it into place. Tuck the excess edges down over the inside of the box and glue them into place.
If desired, you can now add paper or additional fabric to the inside of the box for a seamless look, but this is not necessary.
Go back to the blue jeans you used, begin cutting the seams off the waist, and the hem, and grab the seam from the leg you used earlier.
Now, go around the four corners of the box, and glue the seams on each side corner as a little extra "seam" addition to the box.
Next, cut a pocket off the back of a pair of blue jeans. Trim around the edges leaving just the pocket, then glue it to the side of the box at an angle.
Grab the needle and thread and the lace ribbon, and begin sewing along one edge, pulling it tight into a circle shape. Sew and tie this off, creating a round bow.
Use another piece of the seam, and roll it into a circle, gluing it together as you go. Then, glue this onto the center of the round lace bow you just made.
Add a fake pearl or bead to the center of the denim circle, and then glue this to the side of the box, by the pocket.
Add a strip of lace or ribbon along the top of the pocket then add any additional ribbons, lace, beads, or other accents you want to decorate your box before putting it to use.
Then your box is ready to use!
More Easy Storage and Organizing Ideas
As a busy mom, I have to keep things organized. Doing that with some fun methods of storage is always a plus. Below are some great ideas to make your own unique storage solutions as well as some ways to keep everything organized from your bathroom to your jewelry! Make sure that you bookmark these ideas to put to use in your home soon!
- 30 Brilliant Bathroom Organization and Storage Ideas
- 60+ Innovative Kitchen Organization and Storage Methods
- 25 Brilliant Jewelry Storage and Organization Ideas
- 30 Ways to Add Storage and Organization To Your Laundry Room
- 50 Decorative Rustic Storage Ideas to Beautify Your Home
DIY Denim Covered Storage Box
This denim-covered storage box is a super easy upcycled way to organize your home and add a bit of fun to your decor!
- Empty cardboard box
- Old blue jeans
- Lace ribbon
- Fake pearl beads
- White thread
- Measure the width, height, and length of the box you are using. Ideally, you will use a small box that can be covered just by one complete piece of denim. Now, cut a leg of denim from the top of the pants, and cut along the seam so you have folded out the leg into one large piece.
- Place the denim on a flat surface so the outside is facing down and the inside is facing upwards. Then, glue the bottom of the box onto the center of this piece of denim.
- Continue gluing around the edges and folding the denim up and over the sides and into the inside of the box. Cut off excess as needed.
- Cut the seams off of the legs, waist, and hem of denim pants, and then glue them along the seams/edges on all four sides of the box.
- Now, remove a pocket from the pair of jeans. Glue this pocket onto the side of the box, at an angle and fold underneath the base if needed.
- Then, use a needle and thread with the lace ribbon to sew it together into a circular bow.
- Next, take a seam you cut off of the jeans, and roll it into a circle, gluing it together.
- Glue this onto the center of the lace bow.
- Then glue a bead on top of the denim circle.
- Now, glue this to the side of the box, by the pocket.
- Glue another strip of lace over the top of the pocket on the box.
Decorate the exterior of your box with whatever theme you prefer from lace and pearls to spikes and neon.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
DIY Upcycled Denim Basket Digital PDF Download Sewing Pattern - Etsy
Denim Pockets Distressed Denim Silverware Holder Jean Pocket - Etsy
Denim Zipper Pouch // Makeup Bag // Boho Pouch Made From - Etsy
Set of 3 Storage Bag // Fabric Plant Basket // Home Organizer - Etsy
Denim Recycled Storage Basket Small Storage Box Braided - Etsy
Denim Home Decor Decorative Box Storage Box With Lid - Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
This is ideal for a desk organizer for a teenager's bedroom!
Leave a Reply