If you're looking for a one-of-a-kind baby shower gift, look no further than this unicorn diaper cake. This magical cake is made from rolled diapers and a unicorn horn, making it both adorable and practical. The lucky parents-to-be will appreciate the thoughtfulness of this gift, and the unicorn design is sure to be a hit. It's gender-neutral, easy to make, affordable, and will match almost any color theme!
Unicorn Diaper Cake
Over the last few years, unicorns have become more and more popular with kids and adults alike. This unicorn diaper cake is a popular baby shower gift that is practical and adorable. The cake is made using diapers, a few craft supplies, and fake flowers to create a simple but beautiful display or decoration that is also perfect for new parents to take home and use after their baby shower.
If you want to add more of this unicorn magic to the baby shower, there is a gorgeous quilled paper unicorn wreath that is ideal for a door wreath at a party. Or, you can just go through this list of unicorn craft ideas and find some ideas for party favors or decor! A bonus idea is this cute little unicorn poop cookie idea or even these unicorn cupcakes for the party! Delicious and adorable.
Can I Make This Taller?
Yes, you can make this cake taller. You will make more layers to build it up. Make each layer a little smaller each time, like the layers of a cake. Add the unicorn decorations to the top layer of the cake as shown.
I don't recommend making more than 5 layers and ideally, stop at 3. This is just for stability reasons. When going taller, make sure you put a few dowel rods through the center and edges to keep the cake from toppling over from the weight.
What Size Diapers Should I Use for a Diaper Cake?
The best part of making a diaper cake like this is that you can use whatever diapers that you want. I like to use larger size diapers so that the parents can display the unicorn diaper cake for a while. This is also a great idea when you are giving this cake to someone with an older baby, as you might with an adoption shower. You can also use smaller size diapers if that is the size diapers that the parents need.
So, to answer the question in numbers, a unicorn diaper cake would use anywhere from 20 to 75 diapers depending upon the size of diaper used.
What Can I Use for the Unicorn Horn?
For the unicorn horn, I am using rolled paper, like cardstock. I like using the stronger paper because it holds better. You can buy unicorn horns, hats with unicorn horns, or make them from something as simple as construction paper. I just have to share this idea for a unicorn horn headband that would be a perfect way to add something fun to the top that the parents could save for their little one later in life.
If you want something a bit more permanent, you could use modeling clay, or even buy a baby towel with a unicorn hood that can be draped over the back of the diaper cake and top to create the horn you want.
Ways to Customize My Unicorn Diaper Cake
You can definitely get creative with this cake and make it your own. As with all of our craft projects, this is just a tutorial with an idea for you to use, and can be adjusted for your own style or needs. Below are a few more ideas to customize yours.
- Use different colors of paper for the face and horn.
- Add glitter spray to the face, horn, or ribbons.
- Replace the flowers with sparkling ribbons or even sparkling pom poms.
- Use blankets, burp cloths, cloth diapers, or baby clothes instead of paper to wrap around the diapers.
- Add baby toys, teething rings, pacifiers, bottles, baby shampoo, and other hygiene items around the cake.
- Use googly eyes and a pink marker to create a face with eyes and pink cheeks.
- Pink tissue paper
- 1" Pink polka dot ribbon
- Small dowel rods or wooden skewers
- Fake flowers and greenery
- White cardstock
- Black marker
- Gold glitter foam paper
- Solid gold foam paper
- Double-sided tape
- Rubber bands
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
How to Make a Unicorn Diaper Cake
Start by creating a base for your diaper cake. I cut out a 12" circle from cardboard and then cover it with tissue paper or wrapping paper.
Then add a few strips of double-sided tape on top of this circle and set it aside until your diapers are rolled.
Roll around 30 diapers into tubes and wrap each one with a small rubber band or ribbon to hold secure.
Once you have the diapers rolled, begin putting them onto the pink circle base. Set them up on their ends so they are standing tall. You will use about 20 of the diapers on this base. Leave the rest for the top layer.
Note: If you don't want them to stick to the tape, you can also just stand them up and wrap them with a ribbon or a rubber band.
Wrap some pink polka dot ribbon around this circle of diapers and secure the end with glue or a staple.
Now, wrap the remaining 10 diapers into a circle bundle. Secure with a rubber band around the center. Use the same ribbon from the first bundle to wrap around the smaller bundle.
Place the small diaper layer on top of the larger one. Stick a few dowels through the top layer of the diapers down to the bottom to hold them in place.
Now, you can decorate around the layers by tucking in pieces of fake flowers, vines, or greenery. Add plenty of the flowers, but leave some of the diapers showing through.
On a piece of white paper or cardstock, draw two unicorn eyes/eyelashes.
Place this on top of the base layer but standing up against the front of the top layer. It can be taped or glued to the ribbon around the diapers.
Now, cut out two small white pieces of cardstock into curved ear shapes. Top them with slightly smaller gold ears pieces.
Stick these on top of the cake on the top tier, one on each side leaving room between them for the horn.
Cut a large piece of white paper and roll it into a cone shape and then secure the edges with glue.
Wrap the cone with gold foam paper or ribbon.
Then sit it on top of the cake.
You can add additional flowers to fill in the gaps if desired, and your unicorn diaper cake is ready to gift or display! Now you can wrap or gift the unicorn diaper cake.
More Easy Diaper Cake Tutorials
If you want to add more diaper cakes to your gift projects list, we have some amazing ideas to choose from. Below are a few more of my favorite designs that I know will be sure to please the new parents in your life. Make sure that you bookmark the ideas, print out the tutorials, or even pin them to a baby-themed Pinterest board.
- Absolutely Adorable Jungle Themed Diaper Cake
- DIY Butterfly Diaper Cake Tutorial
- Royal Castle Diaper Cake Baby Gift
- Adorable DIY Owl Diaper Cake Baby Shower Gift
- DIY Cinderella Carriage Diaper Cake Gift Idea
- Cut a 12" circle on cardboard and cut it out. Then cover in pink paper.
- Place 3 to 4 strips of double-sided tape onto the top of the pink circle then set it aside.
- Roll 30 diapers into "tubes" and secure each with a rubber band individually.
- Begin placing the rolled diapers onto the top of the pink circle.
- Fill in the circle with the diapers standing upright. This should use about 20 of the diapers, leaving the remaining for topping the cake.
- Once the circle is covered, wrap a length of pink polka dot ribbon around the center of the diapers and secure with hot glue.
- Wrap the remaining diapers into a smaller bundle.
- Add a length of the same pink polka dot ribbon around the smaller bundle.
- Place this bundle on top of the first larger one.
- Then, use a few long dowels or skewers through the top tier of the cake to hold it in place.
- Next, begin tucking flowers and greenery throughout the diapers around the base and between the layers of the diaper cake.
- Add a variety until it is mostly covered but the diapers are still visible.
- On a rectangular piece of cardboard, draw two "lashes" for the unicorn face.
- Glue this onto the ribbon of the top tier of the cake.
- Next, cut out 2 white pieces of paper in the shape of ears.
- And then 2 glitter gold pieces slightly smaller than the white ones and then glue them into place.
- Stick these onto the top tier of the cake above the face.
- Next, cut and roll a larger piece of paper into a cone to create the unicorn horn.
- Then add strips of solid gold foam paper or ribbon around the cone to create a spiral of color.
- Tuck it on top of the top tier of the cake.
- Then add a few additional flowers around the cone and on top of the cake.
- Now you can wrap or gift the unicorn diaper cake.
Decorate with added ribbon or rainbow-colored streamers if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Unicorn Diaper Cake/baby Girl Diaper Cake/diaper Cake/baby | Etsy
3 Tier Diaper Cake Unicorn Diaper Cake Sleepy Unicorn Baby | Etsy
Unicorn Diaper Cake | Etsy
Unicorn Diaper Cake Unicorn Baby Shower Decoration Unicorn | Etsy
Unicorn Diaper Cake Baby Shower Centerpiece Decor Pink | Etsy
Unicorn Baby Gift Baby Shower Gift for Girl Unicorn Diaper | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Decorate the diaper with lace ribbon or twisted ribbon to create a unique look without the flowers.
You can also spray the paper for the face and horns with glitter!