Owls are such a fun character to add to every part of your decor and crafting. Since I love them so much, I knew I needed to add another one to my list of projects, and this owl diaper cake came to be! This is surprisingly easy to make and will become the star of future baby showers and gift tables. Parents will love that they can use the items in the cake and you'll love being able to provide an easy and fun gift that is also useful!
Owl Diaper Cake
I love diaper cakes, and as you probably already know, I make them in all different ways. These diaper cakes are so much more than the ones that first came out looking like a 3 tier cake. Over the years, I've learned to really make them something new and unique, and this one is one of my favorites.
In the past, I have made basic ones like this Minnie Mouse diaper cake wreath or this adorable little diaper cake boat. Those are simple compared to some like my royal diaper cake castle, but the point is, there is so much more than just a three-tiered cake you can make from diapers!
How do You Wrap a Diaper Cake for Gifting?
There are a few ways to wrap this adorable diaper cake for gifting. Sometimes I like to give it exactly as it is but sometimes you want to surprise at just how cute this is when it is pulled out of the bag. Below are a few ideas that have worked well for me in the past.
- Use a large gift bag to simply place the diaper cake inside. Top with tissue paper and a card.
- Wrap in cellophane and tie at the top with a ribbon and bow.
- Place inside a larger box and surround with balloons in the gender color so when they open the box the balloons pop out and the diaper cake is inside.
- Wrap with a large baby blanket, baby sheet, or similar item that will also be used by the new parents.
- For smaller ones like this, place inside a large gift basket and surround with other baby items then wrap in cellophane or tissue paper.
What Gifts Can I Add to a Diaper Cake?
While this owl is a bit harder to decorate with gifts than others have been that I made, you can typically add other items into the folds between the diapers In this case, I used a bib but you could also add things like a baby hat, sweater, or blanket around the owl.
If you want to put this into a gift basket with other items, you can add more baby items around it like baby shampoo, booties, socks, gloves, hats, receiving blankets, pacifiers, bottles, and even more diapers.
You could wrap another whole pack of diapers in a coordinating piece of paper and attach the owl to the top. Alternately, you could wrap the diapers in brown or green paper and draw on it to make it look like a tree or grass.
Of course, one of my favorite things to share alongside this particular diaper cake is books! Books are always a hit with new parents, but they especially work with owls. Ever since reading the Winnie the Pooh books as a child, I always look to owls as the wise book reading creature of the woods.
- Baby bib
- Polka dot ribbon
- Artificial flowers
- Tissue paper
- Rubber bands
- Stapler with staples
How to Make an Owl Diaper Cake
Using a plate or bowl that is the size you want the base of your owl as a guide, you will begin by rolling the first diaper then wrapping the others around it until you are happy with the size. I used a frying pan as a guide that was around 12" wide.
Once you are happy with the size of the base, use rubber bands around the middle to secure this, then set aside.
Stack 4 diapers together so each one is overlapping the other halfway and then roll from one end to the other to create one large roll.
Secure this roll with rubber bands and repeat identically for a second roll. These will become the owl eyes.
Cut a square of tissue paper.
Fold the paper in half horizontally.
Next, fold the paper over into a triangle point, and then fold each side in again.
Secure with a rubber band about ¾ the way to the bottom so the point is on top.
On a flat surface, place the larger roll of diapers closest to you, and the two smaller rolls on top of it above to create a body with eyes.
Stick the tissue paper you just folded in between the two rolls and the bottom roll with the pointed end facing out to create a beak for the owl.
Place the bib over the top front of the larger roll of diapers so it is up against the "neck" of the owl.
Wrap a length of polka dot ribbon around the entire owl and tie at the bottom to secure. This will hold the owl shape together.
Glue the head of a flower only onto the ends of two Q-tips.
Stick those in the very center of each of the two smaller rolls to create eyes.
Fold a 3' long square of tissue paper into a length the width of the diapers so you have a long 4-6" wide strip of layered tissue paper.
Wrap this around the top of the owl over the two top rolls.
Fold the sides and staple into points so you create little ears on either side of the eyes.
Secure this to the top of the owl with rubber bands around the center.
Add any additional decorations or embellishments desired then wrap or decorate as desired.
More Baby Shower Gift Ideas
If you are attending or hosting a baby shower, you may want more ideas for gifting. Even in the crazy COVID-19 crisis in 2020, we have had time for sharing with our friends to help celebrate the birth of a new addition. Below are a few more of my favorite baby shower gift ideas that you will love being able to share with your friends and family.
- How to Make a Cute Diaper Butterfly Baby Shower Gift
- DIY Old CD/DVD Moon and Sun Baby Room Decoration
- Absolutely Adorable Jungle Themed Diaper Cake Palm Tree
- 40 Adorable DIY Baby Sewing Patterns Anyone Can Do
When making diaper cakes, I like to work with a variety of sizes of diapers. Usually, I will create the diaper out of a larger size diaper so the parents can use it as a nursery decoration if they wish. If you are on a budget and want this to be the main expense but want to add to the gift with other baby items, check out the collection of bibs, bottles, and other items on Dollar Tree online just for babies. There are tons of cute items there to fit your budget.
Adorable Owl Diaper Cake Baby Shower Gift Idea
Turn an ordinary pack of diapers into this amazing gift! An owl diaper cake is a cute and easy baby shower gift anyone can make!
- Stapler with staples
- Wrap diapers around each other until they are 12" wide then secure with a rubber band;
- Stack 4 diapers so they are overlapping half on each other then roll into a roll and secure with a rubber band around the middle then repeat to create a 2nd roll;
- Cut a square of tissue paper. Fold the paper in half horizontally. Next, fold the paper over into a triangle point, and then fold each side in again. Secure with a rubber band about ¾ the way to the bottom so the point is on top;
- On a flat surface, place the larger roll of diapers closest to you, and the two smaller rolls on top of it above to create a body with eyes;
- Stick the tissue paper you just folded in between the two rolls and the bottom roll with the pointed end facing out to create a beak for the owl;
- Place the bib over the top front of the larger roll of diapers so it is up against the "neck" of the owl;
- Wrap a length of polka dot ribbon around the entire owl and tie at the bottom to secure;
- Glue the flowers to the top of 2 Q-tips and then stick those into the center of the two smaller rolls to create eyes;
- Fold a 3' long square of tissue paper into a length the width of the diapers so you have a long 4-6" wide strip of layered tissue paper;
- Wrap this around the top of the owl over the two top rolls and fold the sides and staple into points so you create little ears on either side of the eyes;
- Secure this to the top of the owl with rubber bands around the center;
- Wrap or display as desired.
Add any color tissue paper or bib to match the baby shower decor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Diaper Owl Diaper Cake Boy Diaper Cake Girl Diaper Cake | Etsy
Owl diaper cake pink and aqua diaper cake unique diaper | Etsy
Owl Diaper Cake Baby Shower Gift for a Girl Sweet | Etsy
Owl Cut Outs Lavender Owl Owl Die Cut Purple/Gray Owl | Etsy
Newborn Baby Diaper Cake Owl Diaper Cake Owl Baby Gift Mom | Etsy
New custom cotton bib for hand-painted childrenMickey Mouse | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Use different colors of tissue paper to distinguish gender or to be neutral if preferred.
Add a base to the owl if needed so it will stand up on the table as part of the decor.
Use socks or bows for the eyes and even for the ears!
Leave a Reply