When you are looking for something special to bring to a baby shower, you have to make this adorable diaper cake castle. This is more than the usual diaper cake. Instead, it’s a great way to celebrate the new “royalty” that will be joining their family! Not only is it pretty, but it is also useful! Every new parent wants gifts that they can use, and nothing gets used more than a diaper. So, why not make it into a pretty gift they will enjoy!
Diaper Cake Castle
I have seen many diaper cakes through the years, but honestly, this one is definitely a new favorite. Many of my friends have referred to their daughters and sons as their “little princess” or “tiny prince”. So, why not give them a gift that is fit for royalty?
I love the way the diaper cake castle looks. It takes a simple diaper cake to a whole new level! You follow many of the same methods of any diaper cake but turn it into something just a little bit different.
For this project, you can get creative to add in extras to make it fit the baby nursery if you want. Obviously, this one is suited a bit more for a girl, but can be used for any gender!
What Sized Diapers Work Best?
Most people make diaper cake castles using newborn sized diapers because it is often used as a baby shower gift. You can also make them out of multiple sizes if you want to give this cake with a lot of sizes. I have also seen these types of diaper cakes made from cloth diapers too.
For this particular style, I would start with smaller diapers on the top towers and larger on the bottom. I would do this because while newborn diapers are needed at first, you’ll find they aren’t needed for very long. Babies grow so fast they outgrow them in just a few weeks. Instead, supply your friends with diapers they will need a bit later down the road.
A package of newborn, size 1 and size 2 can be used to make a large diaper castle that is amazing! I always say go big – and this is one project you can really add to and make larger than life!
What Do You Use to Secure Diapers That Won’t Tear Them?
The best way to secure the diapers together is to use ribbon or rubber bands. You do not want to glue or tape the diapers because this will cause them to rip as they are taken apart. I like to use a variety of ribbons and fabrics so that it adds visual appeal.
Basic thin rubber bands are ideal for rolling and securing the diapers together for the base of the cake. Then, you can wrap the rolled ones together with ribbon, fabric, or even, in some cases, strips of paper that have been glued or stapled together. It’s okay to get creative with this. Just try to keep the tape and glue away from the actual surface of the diaper to prevent it from ruining the diapers themselves.
What Small Gifts Can Be Added to a Diaper Cake?
One of the fun parts of making a diaper cake is adding all of the little extra things. So, with a castle, we decorate with ribbons and little towers topped by washi tape flags, but you can do so much more! Adding small toys and gifts in between the layers or by the diapers is a great way to give more to your friends and family all in one package!
- Add pacifiers and nipples for bottles all around the bottom edge of the cake
- Instead of rolling diapers for the top towers, add bottles tied with ribbon
- Stuff the inside of each tower “peak” with something like baby washcloths, burp cloths, or cloth diapers
- Use baby outfits or onesies to roll for added layers around or on top of the castle
- Attach little things like baby combs, nail clippers, hair bows, barrettes, and socks around the bottom layer of ribbon or cloth tied around the base of diapers.
Variations for Decorating a Diaper Castle
Obviously, you can switch out colors for adding to this castle. I used pink tones, but you can easily use blue, green, yellow, orange, red, purple rainbow, and all shades in between. You don’t have to stick with just the normal two colors. Get creative and match it to the party theme or nursery theme.
Since you use paper for most of the decorations, you can look for scrapbook paper with themes that match the baby nursery. Think about woodland creatures, Disney characters, safari animals, cowboy themes, princess themes, and more!
- Dark pink paper or wide ribbon
- Pink construction paper
- Light pink construction paper
- Pink glitter foam paper
- Silver washi tape
- White ribbon
- Dark pink ribbon
- Pink patterned ribbon
- Dowel rods or skewers
- Rubber bands
- Stapler with staples
- Craft glue
How to Make a Diaper Cake Castle
Roll one diaper, then wrap 4 more diapers around it creating a large roll for your base. Secure the diapers in place with rubber bands.
Repeat this process for 2 bases of the same size. Set one of these aside for now.
On a piece of cardboard for easy transporting, place one of these bundles. Now, roll and secure with rubber bands, 8-10 more diapers, and places these all around the outside of the base diaper bundle. The number will depend upon the size diapers you are using.
Once these are together, cut a length of ribbon and wrap around the entire base, and tie.
Now, cut a length of 4-5″ wide ribbon or paper that is long enough to wrap around the middle of that bundle.
Wrap this around the middle of this base of diapers and staple or glue the ends together to keep in place.
Using an opposite color ribbon, wrap around the center of this paper and secure with a staple or glue.
Now, repeat the ribbon around the middle process with the second core bundle of diapers and set it aside.
Next, roll 5 more diapers individually and secure with a rubber band so you have 4 diaper “towers”.
Around each tower, you will wrap a length of wide white ribbon, and then in the middle of that ribbon, a length of opposite color (I used dark pink).
Now, slide a dowel through the center of each of these single diaper rolls. Set all of these towers aside.
Now, cut 5 pieces of paper into half circles with one flat side.
2 of these pieces should be lighter in color (light pink), and the other 3 the darker shade of pink.
Roll each piece of paper so that it forms a cone, and secure with a staple.
Now, slide these over the top of the dowel of each diaper roll and use the washi tape and attach around the top end leaving a little excess hanging like a flag. These will go through the top opening of 2 of the light cones and 2 of the dark cones.
In the center of the base of diapers, place the second larger base of diapers. Center this in place, and slide 2-3 of the dowels through open spaces to hold it in place.
On each side of the base, you will do the same with 4 of the single diaper rolls. With the diapers that have darker tops in back.
Put the ones with lighter tops in front. You can slide the cone further down onto the diaper to make them appear shorter.
Add one of the single diaper rolls in the center of the base for the top tower.
Secure each of the diaper rolls with a dowel through the center for stability.
Cut out a few squares and door shapes from the glitter paper and add doors and windows to your towers.
Now, your diaper castle is done and ready to gift or display!
More Baby Shower Ideas
Before you head to the baby shower, check out our other ideas! We’ve gathered tons of baby patterns that anyone can sew. If you prefer crocheting, then here is a list of 50 more great crochet baby item ideas. To decorate their nursery, check out these DIY baby mobile ideas. If they prefer educational items, check out these great educational baby toys. Of course, every baby has to eat, so why not share some of these great homemade baby food recipes!
If you aren’t comfortable with doing a full design for a cake but want to make one for someone, you can now find diaper cake kits on Etsy. These come in many varieties and styles and usually include ribbons, signs, and accent pieces to decorate the castle or cake with a theme. These are great for baby showers with special character themes.
- Roll a single diaper into a cylinder, then wrap 4 additional diapers around that creating a large bundle and secure with rubber bands then repeat for a second bundle;
- Using a cardboard or table base, place one of these bundles on the center, then start creating single diaper bundles and securing them in place with rubber bands until you have them in a circle around the base, this is usually 8-10 diapers;
- Now, tie a ribbon around the center of this core of diapers to secure them;
- Cut a length of ribbon in a dark color to wrap around the center of this and secure with staples or glue;
- Add a smaller strip of a lighter colored ribbon on top of that one and secure;
- Repeat the dark then light ribbon process on the other core 5 diaper roll;
- Now, create 5 more single diaper rolls and tie with rubber bands;
- On each of the single diaper rolls, wrap with a piece of white ribbon, and then a smaller piece of darker pink ribbon around the middle;
- Now, cut out 5 half circles from paper, 2 light pink and 3 dark pinks;
- Roll these pieces of paper into cone shapes and secure with staples;
- Place the middle-sized diaper roll on the top of the large base in the center, then secure in place with 3-4 dowel rods through the spaces between the diapers;
- Now, push a dowel through each of the 5 single diaper rolls;
- Place the cone shapes on top of the dowels on the single diaper rolls;
- Add a small piece of washi tape on 4 of these towers to create a flag at the top of the dowel;
- Add four of the single diaper rolls on the sides of the middle diaper roll, and then one in the middle of it on top to create "towers";
- Use glitter paper to cut doors and windows to add to your towers;
- Now you can display or add other baby gifts around the edges if desired;
Use any color theme for this diaper castle to fit the baby nursery theme!
Youtube Video Tutorial:
Finished Project Gallery