Do you have a baby shower coming up and want to give a creative gift? If so, then this tutorial is perfect for you. Today I will show you how to make your own Cinderella Carriage Diaper Cake that any Disney or princess fan will ooh and ahh over. And nothing is more welcome than diapers to a new mom!
Cinderella Carriage Diaper Cake
You don't need any expensive supplies or hours of set-up time, all it takes is creativity and some simple supplies. This is a DIY project that can be completed in less than an hour. Follow these steps below to see just how quick and easy making a diaper cake for your favorite Disney mom-to-be can be!
If you like this diaper cake then I know you will love the royal castle diaper cake tutorial we made last year. It's so cute and easy to make and would definitely pair perfectly with this little carriage for a little girl's baby shower. This diaper cake basket baby shower gift is another fun option for a baby girl.
What size diapers are used?
Any size diaper can be used for this project. One thing to think of is that most people will give new parents newborn-sized diapers, so it's extra helpful if you go to the next size up. That way when the baby outgrows the smaller size, they have a package of new, larger diapers in the closet.
What brand of diapers is best?
It works well with Huggies, Pampers, or any other brand of diapers. I suggest looking on the gift registry to find out which brand the new mommy prefers. If there isn't a registry to check, you could always purchase a small package of whichever brand is priced best or looks best with your DIY project.
Alternately, you can use the cheaper diapers found at your local dollar store for the cake and then gift their preferred brand at the shower. Let them know that the diaper cake is intended as decor only.
Can I use glue instead of rubber bands?
No. Using a glue gun, duct tape, scotch tape, or even a glue stick directly on the diapers can damage the diapers, making them unusable- which is the opposite idea of this gift, right?
Instead, rubber bands are best, but in a pinch, you can use ribbon or yarn to tie the diapers together. Sometimes, if you are making this as decor only with no intention of it being used for the baby down the road, the glue would be a fine choice and would hold for longer.
What supplies do you need to make a Cinderella Carriage diaper cake?
You'll need an assortment of diapers, a hot glue gun, gift wrapping paper, an empty cardboard tube, scissors or a utility knife, 4 rubber bands, four medium-size flowers, a new teddy bear, or other stuffed animal to "pull the carriage" (this will be part of the baby's gift.) and various ribbon that matches the baby shower colors, the mom's favorite Disney princess, even the nursery theme. Below is the full list for easy reference.
- Paper globe lantern
- Plastic crown
- Gift wrapping paper
- Empty cardboard tube
- Silk flowers
- Stuffed animal
- Beaded string
- Hot glue gun
- Glue sticks
- Rubber bands
How To Make a Cinderella Carriage Diaper Cake
Cover two empty wrapping paper tubes with a piece of wrapping paper and secure the edges with hot glue.
Using a dot of glue, attach a piece of ribbon to the tube wrapping it around the tube and gluing down the end.
Lay four sets of three diapers in rows so they are overlapping a bit, making sure they are all facing the same way.
Wrap the diapers around the tube and secure it with a rubber band. Repeat on the opposite end. Repeat with the second tube.
Cover the rubber bands with a piece of ribbon and secure them with glue.
Use hot-glue to line the edge of the cardboard tube, then attach the flower to each end of the two tubes.
Next, add a bit of glue to the opening of the lantern and attach the ribbon in a ruffled pattern. Repeat with the other side.
Set the lantern on the two decorated cardboard tubes with openings on the side.
Secure by putting glue on the tubes, not the diapers. Then push the lantern globe down until the glue grips and dries.
Attach the crown of your choice to the top of the carriage.
Wrap a decorative ribbon around the stuffed animal of your choice and glue to the tube to make it look like the animal is pulling the carriage.
Note: Grab the printable tutorial for this project at the bottom of this post!
Diaper carriage variation ideas
Want a little different look for your diaper cake? Check out the ideas below to add some creativity to yours. There are tons of options and the idea is a basic guide and doesn't have to be exact.
- Put a large plastic teacup on the top of the carriage and use bright colors for an Alice in Wonderland version.
- Add some animal friends to pull the carriage, like two stuffed bears or one teddy and one bunny.
- Make a diaper cake with more than just diapers in them! You can add pacifiers, rattles, and other baby necessities into empty paper rolls. Wrap them up tightly in plain white tissue paper and put them in the tubes before adding the flowers.
- Dress up the carriage with extra small flowers and ribbons hanging from the top or on the sides.
You can always draw more inspiration from some of our past diaper cakes like this tricycle diaper cake, train diaper cake, owl diaper cake, diaper cake crane, or even this cute jungle themed diaper cake.
Can I Use Other Stuffed Animals?
Any animal will be adorable for your princess carriage, but why not try a few of these animal friends from the movie Cinderella?
- Mouse- They don't sew beautiful ball gowns, you know!
- Horse- But of course! What else would pull a princess' carriage?
- Cat- Cinderella's stepmother loved her cranky cat, Lucifer
- Dog- The dog who was turned into a coachman in the movie might be able to help with your carriage cake.
- Bird- It's not every day that you see a bluebird (or two) pulling Cinderella's carriage, but it could happen! Just make sure it's a baby carriage and not an adult-sized one.
More Baby Shower Gift Ideas
Need a few more ideas for your next baby shower? Check out the ones below and make sure you print, pin, or bookmark these for later!
- DIY Old CD/DVD Sun and Moon Baby Nursery Decor
- Upcycled CD Moon and Stars Baby Nursery Mobile
- How to Make an Adorable Washcloth Teddy Bear
- 25 Enchantingly Adorable Baby Shower Gift Ideas
- Cover two empty wrapping paper tubes with a piece of wrapping paper and secure the edges with hot glue.
- Using a dot of glue, attach a piece of ribbon to the tube wrapping it around the tube and gluing down the end.
- Lay four sets of three diapers in rows so they are overlapping a bit, making sure they are all facing the same way.
- Wrap the diapers around the tube and secure it with a rubber band. Repeat on the opposite end. Repeat with the second tube.
- Cover the rubber bands with a piece of ribbon and secure with glue.
- Use hot glue to line the edge of the cardboard tube, then attach the flower to each end of the two tubes.
- Next, add a bit of glue to the opening of the lantern and attach the ribbon in a ruffled pattern. Repeat with the other side.
- Set the lantern on the two decorated cardboard tubes with the openings on the side.
- Secure by putting glue on the tubes, not the diapers. Then push the lantern globe down until the glue grips and dries.
- Attach the crown of your choice to the top of the carriage.
- Wrap a decorative ribbon around the stuffed animal of your choice and glue to the tube to make it look like the animal is pulling the carriage.
Use any color paper lantern to create this carriage for a different theme. It can work for boys, girls, or any birthday party princess-themed event.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mini Pink and Gold Diaper Cake Baby Girl Shower Shabby Chic | Etsy
Four Wheeler Diaper Quad 4 Wheeler Diaper Cake Diaper Cake | Etsy
Safari Animals Diaper Cake 3 Tier Jungle Themed Diaper Cake | Etsy
Woodland Baby Shower Diaper Cake Woodland Animals Baby Shower | Etsy
3 Tier Diaper Cake and mini 3 piece set Adventure Awaits | Etsy
Baby Shower Gift Woodland Creatures Diaper Cake for a Boy or | Etsy