Angels are a huge part of the holiday season. I remember growing up with angels in all of our decorations and always on the top of the holiday tree. This year, you can make your own cute little upcycled bottle angel Christmas decoration. It's easy to make, a favorite craft this season, and definitely affordable. Using inexpensive materials, you are able to create this angel for practically nothing. I love that this is both affordable and beautiful!
Upcycled Bottle Angel Christmas Decoration
If you love angels as much as I do, then this gorgeous little craft is going to become a favorite this holiday season. Use this is a tree topper, or add to your mantle. It is beautiful and will become one of those cherished decorations you keep for years. Of course, you can make multiples of this and make extras to give for as gifts or to add around your home this Christmas.
I've always loved how beautiful angels look when displayed around the holidays. You can so easily make this one look unique with your own style and add it around your house as a little reminder of the beauty of the holiday season. If you love the look of angels, check out this upcycled book page angel wings idea. You can display these in many ways throughout the holiday season. You can even turn an old book into a beautiful Christmas angel too!
What Can I Use for the Angel Skirt?
When you are making the angel skirt, you can use a variety of materials, depending on what you have. You can use a scrap piece of lace. Tulle is another option for creating a skirt. You want to use a light and semi see-through fabric style.
I love the idea of using tulle then adding lace around the bottom. You could even use scrap material off of a lace dress you may have that no longer fits or has stains. I would even use something like satin to create a cute look for this that isn't see-through but still beautiful. Get creative to make your angel look beautiful!
How Can I Customize This Angel?
Angels traditionally have white, ivory, gold, or silver accents. Adding different items to make it sparkle or add color is a great way to make your angel unique. Below are some ideas I like that could also easily customize your angel with a unique look.
- Glue sequins or rhinestones on the angel skirt.
- Fill in the wings with fabric or paper.
- Spray the angel with glitter spray.
- Add feathers to the wings.
- Use fake eyelashes instead of the marker.
- Add googly eyes or painted eyeballs.
- Use red ink for the mouth.
- Add yarn or fake hair to give hair to the angel.
What can I Use for the Halo?
The easiest thing to use for the halo is to use silver pipe cleaners. These are inexpensive, easy to find, and easy to work with. You could also choose to use gold, which would look lovely. Another option is to use ribbons that have a stiff edge. The stiff edge will help the ribbon hold its shape, or you could use starch. Anything that will hold the shape can be substituted for the pipe cleaner.
I have used jewelry wire or even floral wire and covered it with ribbon to create a halo in the past. Creating a beautiful look you like is easy. Just look at what you have on hand and make it look magical on your angel!
- Empty plastic bottle
- Silver spray paint
- Silver pipe cleaners
- Styrofoam ball
- Lace ribbon
- Black marker
- Holiday ribbon
- Craft knife
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue stick or hot glue rope
How to Make an Upcycled Bottle Angel
Cut the top ¼ of an empty plastic bottle off.
Spray this portion of the bottle with paint and set aside to dry.
While the bottle is drying, thread a needle, and begin pushing the tulle over the needle to gather it together on one side. Gather enough to create a skirt to go around the bottle.
Glue the gathered edge of the tulle around the top of the bottle opening.
Attach lace ribbon around the bottom of the tulle with glue.
Draw eyes and eyelashes and a smile onto a Styrofoam ball.
Glue the ball onto the top of the bottle opening.
Form a halo on one end of the pipe cleaner and wrap the other end around the neck of the bottle to secure the halo above the head.
Make two wings using the pipe cleaners.
Then glue them onto the back of the angel.
Using a holiday ribbon, create a bow to glue just below the head onto the angel.
Display this angel as part of your holiday decorations.
More Christmas Decorations
Alongside this angel, you are sure to want more fun decorations at the holidays. I've shared tons of great ideas over the years, and below are some great ideas that are easy to make and look great in your home. Whether you want an ornament, wreath, or just mantle decor, the list below has something for you to create!
- DIY Giant Lollipops Christmas Decoration
- Festive DIY Christmas Wreath Decoration
- Adorable Christmas Pom Pom Gnome Ornaments
- 20 Unique DIY Wooden Signs for Christmas Decorating
- DIY Miniature Pasta Christmas Tree Decoration
- Artistic Music Sheet Mini Paper Christmas Tree
If you want to make this a bit easier to create, then you can also buy already made angel wings or an angel halo to glue onto your creation. This saves time, and while costs more, is a great addition if you need to make a lot of these at the same time.
- Cut the top ¼ of an empty plastic bottle off.
- Spray this portion of the bottle with paint and set aside to dry.
- While the bottle is drying, thread a needle, and begin pushing the tulle over the needle to gather it together on one side. Gather enough to create a skirt to go around the bottle.
- Glue the gathered edge of the tulle around the top of the bottle opening.
- Attach lace ribbon around the bottom of the tulle with glue.
- Draw eyes and eyelashes and a smile onto a Styrofoam ball.
- Glue the ball onto the top of the bottle opening.
- Form a halo on one end of the pipe cleaner and wrap the other end around the neck of the bottle to secure the halo above the head.
- Make two wings using the pipe cleaners, and then glue them onto the back of the angel.
- Using a holiday ribbon, create a bow to glue just below the head on the angel.
- Display this angel as part of your holiday decorations.
Use different colored paint and pipe cleaners to create a different look for your angel.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crochet Angel Pattern Thread Crochet Christmas Angel Home | Etsy
Felt angel decoration White angel ornament Christmas angel | Etsy
Cement Christmas Angel Silver trimmed Small and Large | Etsy
Kanzashi Angel Christmas angel Christmas angel decorations | Etsy
Large Angels-Deco Mesh-Assorted Colors | Etsy
Gold Angel Tree Topper Christmas Tree Topper Made in USA | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Add this to your mantle with the rest of your holiday decorations.
You can use any color tulle for the skirt to give your angel a unique look.
Add a bit of glitter spray to the angel to create a sparkly look that will look great with the Christmas twinkle lights.