This apple crumble recipe is a classic American dessert. Using fresh apples, real butter, sugar, and the oatmeal crumble topping you create warm cinnamon and sugar spiced apple dessert everyone loves. Serve this with a freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream for the iconic apple dessert of your dreams.
If you love apple desserts as I do, then I know you will rave over these caramel apple and peanut butter pie cookies.
Apple Crumble Recipe
As soon as apple season hits, I am headed to the local orchard to stock up on my favorites. I already have in mind the list of apple recipes I will be making.
This apple crumbles recipe, however, is one of my favorites. Unlike a pie, it is one of those recipes that no matter how good or bad your baking skills are, it’s easy to make.
I love how easy it is to throw this together in a few minutes to pop into the oven for a warm dessert after dinner.
There is no need to fuss over a perfectly shaped crust, or even how identical my pieces of apples end up being. A crumble is a thrown together and easy to assemble dessert that tastes incredible, and is meant to look a little bit messy.
What are the Best Apples to Use?
For any baked apple recipe, I find that the tartness found in a Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apple works well. Combined with the sugars, they soften nicely and aren’t overly sweet.
Other amazing options I have used are Braeburn, McIntosh, Jonagold, and even Honeycrisp.
Aside from the sweetness of the apple, when baking, you want to consider how they soften.
An already softer apple like a Red Delicious will soften wonderfully while baking, but you may find it is too mushy for a crumble or pie, but great for applesauce.
No matter which apple you have on hand, it will likely turn out wonderfully in this foolproof apple crumble recipe.
How to Serve an Apple Crumble
The best and most obvious ways to serve this apple crumble recipe are hot out of the oven and topped with whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream. These methods are the most common. They are also my personal favorites for a classic flavor. Below, however, are some alternate ideas that are equally delicious and elevate this recipe just a little to make it superior to any other apple dish you’ve enjoyed in the past.
- Drizzle hot caramel syrup over the top.
- Serve with salted caramel ice cream.
- Top with a cinnamon sugar ice cream.
- Serve with butterscotch syrup.
Ingredients for Apple Pie Crumble
For the apple filling:
- Powdered sugar
- Dried cranberries
For the crumble topping:
- Powdered sugar
- Rolled oats
- All-Purpose Flour
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Sea salt
How to Make an Apple Crumble Recipe
Begin by gathering and measuring all of your ingredients so they are on hand and easy to access as you assemble this dessert.
Prepare a baking dish by spraying with non-stick spray, or greasing with butter. You will also want to preheat your oven at this time.
Next, you will combine the apples with the filling ingredients and mix together until well coated before pouring into the prepared baking dish.
In a separate bowl, you will combine all of the crust dry ingredients until they are well blended, then mix in the butter as directed.
Once you have the crumble ready, you will pour it over the top of the apples and top with a sprinkle of sea salt before popping into the oven to bake.
Serve as desired with syrup, ice cream, or whipped topping.
Printable Recipe Card:
Apple Crumble Filling:
- 6 apples, chopped
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup water
Apple Crumble Topping:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 ounces butter, cut into small pieces
- Pinch of sea salt
- Gather all supplies, measure, and prepare for making the recipe; Preheat the oven to 180C/350F;
- Prepare a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter and set aside;
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped apples with powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, and cranberries until well coated and combined;
- Mix in water and then pour into prepared baking dish;
- In a separate bowl, combine crumble ingredients of flour, oatmeal, powdered sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and stir until mixed together well;
- Cut cold butter into small pieces, and then mix with the dry ingredients until it is combined and butter pieces are the size of peas. You may use a pastry cutter or your hands for this step;
- Pour the crumble topping on top of the apples in the baking dish and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the top;
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top has browned and the apples are soft and bubbling around the edges;
- Serve with your preferred topping of ice cream, whipped cream, or caramel syrup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 51mg Sodium: 225mg Carbohydrates: 105g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 70g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g