If you are looking for something tup update a favorite hairstyle, this is the one. A super easy-to-do and stylish bobby pin hairstyle with a braid is a perfect choice for every day. It's easy to create and always looks clean. You can take this from everyday wear to an evening out easily.
Bobby Pin Braid Hairstyle
Sometimes, a simple braid just feels boring. That's where adding something extra makes it perfect. Change out the basic braid with decorative bobby pins along the side to give it a look that is upscale without being difficult. If you can make a simple basic braid, this is a perfect starter style to add a more unique flair to your hair. It's also ideal for many hair lengths and types.
If your hair is shorter, you may want to also check out these stylish short hair tutorials for even more ideas.
What Do I Need to Create This Stylish Bobbly Pin Hairstyle?
This is a fairly simple style that really just needs basic items you already have on hand. Below I will share some ways to make it more unique, but for the basic braid style, the items below are a good start.
You will also need bobby pins, and I prefer these simple gold bobby pins for this, but you can use other styles if you prefer. The pins are to help hold the hair flat to your head, but also for style. Use different pins for daytime everyday use and replace them with fancy or beaded options for an evening out.
Tools I Use
While these are suggested, they are not always necessary. Use what you have on hand already and if you desire an upgrade, below are some of my personal favorite products and tools.
- Wide-tooth comb
- Detangling brush
- Hair rubber bands
- Satin hair ribbon (optional)
- Topsy Tail braiding tool (optional)
Other Items I Love:
The brands of products you choose will be specific to you, your hair type, and your budget. What's shown here are just a few of my favorite items that I keep on hand.
Bobby Pin Hairstyle with Braid Tutorial
Before you begin, the most important thing you will do is a comb or brush your hair to remove any tangles. This works well with both clean and slightly dirty hair. I find that dirtier hair will be a bit oily, and for this style, that works well. The style is sleek against your head, and freshly washed hair is more likely to have fly-away hairs than hair that hasn't been washed in 2 to 3 days.
Comb and part your hair as you would normally. Our model has a side part, and it works great with this style, but a simple middle part can also work. Once parted, you will then begin putting bobby pins in, starting right above your ear, and working your way down to the base of your head.
Now, repeat this process on the opposite side, starting just above or behind the ear, then continuing down to the base of the head.
I recommend putting a bobby pin every ½", but you can add more or fewer depending on your hair needs.
Now, gather the hair at the base of your neck and begin braiding. You will divide the hair into 2 sections, then begin a classic fishtail braid.
Once you have the hair divided into 2 equal sections, you will then pull a smaller portion from the outside of each, and fold over the main portion to the center. Now, incorporate what you folded over back into the main section.
Repeat this process, pulling from the outside, over the main portions, and to the middle where you incorporated it back into the main section.
Continue this process, moving downward, weaving the hair together into a braid. Once you reach the end of your hair, or your desired braid length, add a simple hairband to secure the braid.
You can also pull a bit of hair out of the braid at the end to wrap around the hairband if you wish. A ribbon or bow can be added to give it a fun look.
How Can I Make This Braid Unique?
While I find this style to be a perfect choice for something simple and easy to create that also looks upscale. If you want to make it just a little bit different, there are a few simple ways that work with this hairstyle.
- Use a different part than you normally would. Choose a side part on the opposite side or a part down the middle. You could even use a zigzag part for a unique look.
- Replace the basic bobby pins with decorative pins for part of the look. I like to use the same color as my hair down the sides and back, but add 2 to 3 beaded or rhinestone-covered bobby pins at the top or above the ear.
- Braid with a basic three-strand braid instead of a fishtail.
- If using a three-strand braid, roll it back up into a bun on the base of your neck and secure it with additional bobby pins.
- Add a ribbon to the fishtail braid to give it an additional kick of style.
- Tie the end with a ribbon or bow to give it more of a whimsical or childlike look.
- If your hair is longer, loosen the braids after it is finished to make it less exact and more Bohemian style.
More Hairstyle Tutorials
This beautiful hairstyle is just one of many that I love. Having had long hair most of my life, I know all about needing something new regularly. If you are looking for more ideas for your go-to hairstyles, check out the tutorials listed below. To keep them handy, bookmark the ideas, print out the tutorials, or just pin them to your hairstyles board on Pinterest to make soon!
- Simple Braid with Ribbon Hairstyle
- Fishtail Ponytail Pigtails with Bow Accent
- Braided Crown Princess Hairstyle
- Braided Dual Top Knot Buns Half Up Hairstyle
- Easy Half Up Side Braids Hairstyle
- Comb or brush your hair so there are no tangles, then part as normal. Once parted, begin just above the ear, adding a bobby pin every ½" until you reach the base of your head. Repeat this on the opposite side.
- Now, gather the hair at the base of your neck and divide it into 2 sections. Pull a small section of each side over and to the middle. Repeat this process, moving downward until you have braided all of your hair.
- Secure the end with a hairband and spray with hairspray if desired to hold it into place.
This can be done with a simple three-strand braid if you prefer over the fishtail braid suggested.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
10Pcs Hair Clips Retro Hair Pins for Women Hairpins for Women Ladies and Girls Headwear Styling Tools Hair Accessories (10 Count (Pack of 1))
10 Pcs Vintage Alloy Mixed Hair Bobby Pins for girls Hair Clips Barrettes for women NO REPEAT RANDOM PACKING
16 Pieces Rhinestone Bobby Pin Metal Hair Clips Clear Crystal Hair Pin Decorations for Lady Women Girls (Color 1)
6 Pcs Sapphire Rhineston Bobby Pins Crystal Hair Clips Set (Set 4)
Mehayi 20 PCS Macaron Pearl Acrylic Resin Metal Fashion Hair Clips Set, Handmade Cute Hair Barrettes Bobby Pins, Gold Metal Hairpin Hair Accessories Headwear Styling Tools, Gifts for Women Girls Decorative Party Wedding
Folansy 20 Pieces Elegant Hair Barrettes Bridal Golden Metal Hair Clip Artificial Pearl Hair Pins and Clear Rhinestone Bobby Pin for Weddings Hair Accessories