This DIY wood slice picture frame is the perfect solution when you are looking for a creative way to show off your family photos. Made using natural wood slices, it's a beautiful and unique way to display your cherished memories. And the best part is, it's easy to make!
Rustic Wood Slice Picture Frame
This rustic wood slice picture frame craft makes frames that will become a treasured part of your home décor. The finished frame is perfect for displaying family photos, kids' artwork, or special memories. It also makes a great gift for friends and family.
Where Can I Get Wood Slices for Crafting?
The best place to get wood slices for crafting is your own yard. If you have thick limbs that have fallen from trees, this is a great way to use them. You can slice them into thin rounds and create this craft using free materials.
You can also find the wood slices at retail stores and online. Sometimes you can find the slices at the dollar store but almost all big box stores and craft stores sell them. You can also ask friends or family if they have any branches or limbs in their yard that you can slice and use.
Should I Paint This DIY Picture Frame?
You can leave this wood frame as is if you like the wood look of it. If you, or the kids, want to take it a little further, you can also paint the wood. This is really a personal preference.
If you choose to paint the wood slice picture frame, I recommend using acrylic paint. You can also use spray paint if you are painting it all in one color with no specific details. And to add a bit more "extra" special look, consider spraying with glitter paint!
What Glue Holds Wood The Best?
I love to use hot glue for this craft but the E6000 also works well. Another choice would be to use Gorilla Glue. When using these glues, you need to be careful because each one has its own downfalls, like burning yourself with the hot glue gun or gluing your fingers together with Gorilla Glue.
How Can I Make My Wood Slice Frame Unique?
There are a few things you can do to make your wood slice frame unique. Below are some of my favorite ideas.
- You can add embellishments like rhinestones, buttons, or beads.
- Of course, many people love (or hate) glitter and it would add a fun look to the frame.
- You can also add some greenery or flowers for a pop of color. Unless you are using evergreens, be careful using live flowers or greens because they will wilt and turn brown quickly.
- Another idea is to personalize it by adding a name or special message with a wood burner or by painting it. A monogram in one corner would be another fun way to personalize the frame.
- You can also distress the wood for a shabby chic look.
- Use different colors of paint or even a stain for the wood instead of the natural look.
How to Make a Wood Slice Picture Frame
Before you begin, I recommend washing any wood slices you got from outside. This will just make sure you have no critters lingering in the bark. Let them dry completely before you begin crafting. Once they are dry, sand off any extra pieces that stick up. Especially if kids are going to help with this, you want to prevent splinters.
Now, get your base frame ready by removing the glass and picture. Discard the paper photo and choose a personal photo to fit here instead. Put your preferred image back into the frame and the glass in places.
Now, you will start gluing on your wood slices. Add a bit of glue to the frame and begin placing the wood pieces around the edges. I like to start with larger slices first, then fill in the gaps around them with the smaller pieces.
Once the frame is covered, you can then go back and add the little embellishments. I used some fake berries and a few acorns. Add them into any open spaces, or create a little bunch in one corner.
Once you are satisfied with the look, clean the glass and display your picture frame.
More Wood Slice Crafts
I love the idea of using natural elements in crafting. Wood slices have become super popular in recent years, for good reason. I absolutely love how these look! Below are a few more of my favorite ideas that feature the simple slice of wood. Bookmark these ideas, print out the tutorials, or pin them to Pinterest to make soon!
- Rustic Wood Slice Butterfly
- Cute Wood Slice Spring Chicken
- Adorable Hanging Wood Slice Owl
- Rustic Wood Slice Chalkboard Ornaments
- Adorable Wood Slice Bunny
- DIY Painted Wood Slice Pumpkin
- Rustic Wood Slice Snowman
- DIY Rustic Wood Slice Reindeer Ornament
- Remove the paper from a picture frame and add your preferred image.
- Now, glue the wood slices all around the outside edge of the wooden frame.
- Once they are in place, use the fake berries and glue one or two between each slice of wood.
- Now, glue a few small pinecones or acorns around the frame as desired.
For added beauty, you can paint the wood slices before attaching to the frame.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
5x7 Dried Flowers & Abalone Shell Super Unique Frame - Etsy
Handcrafted-wood-slice-picture Frame - Etsy
Rustic Wood Slice Picture Frame Painted or Stained Wood - Etsy
5x7 Wildflower & Feathers Boho Photo Frame - Etsy
Tree Slices Rustic WOOD SLICES 100 Assorted Tree Branch - Etsy
Rustic Picture Frame With Beetle Kill Pine Wood Slices Real - Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Spray with sparkling paint and add jingle bells to the side to make it a great Christmas decoration!