This adorable and rustic paintbrush Santa Claus is a simple and inexpensive holiday decoration. I love that it is both an upcycling option as well as a dollar store craft that is ideal for the holiday season. It's great for decorating, easy to make, and even the kids can get involved putting this together!
Paintbrush Santa Claus
This paintbrush Santa Claus is a simple-to-make craft that looks great with a retro, vintage, or farmhouse style tree and decor. It can be used as decoration around the house or it can be used as a special tree ornament. This can be made in a big version, using a large house painting brush or it can be made smaller with a smaller paintbrush. It's super versatile, definitely easy, and the best part is just how cute it looks.
If you like this idea, you might also like our cute Santa Claus decor from old books. It's so unique and easy to make. Another fun rustic look is these little Santa logs. So fun and look great with that rustic farmhouse Christmas. For the kids, you can make these adorable classic toilet paper roll Santa, or even this adorable craft stick Santa Christmas ornament. And I always like to hang this Santa hat wreath on my mantle or door!
How Can I Customize My Santa Claus?
I love taking ideas like this and making them my own with customizations. For this project, there are a number of things you can do differently to make your Santa look unique. Check out some ideas below.
- Use different things on the handle to make the hat look different. Beads, sequins, glitter, and spray glitter are all options to make it sparkle.
- Paint the bristles of the brush differently or solid white to more closely resemble the beard Santa wears.
- Add a felt or yarn mouth below the nose.
- Paint the metal of the paintbrush tan, brown, or cream for a skin color that matches your own.
- Add a bit of pink paint on either side of the nose to resemble pink cheeks.
What Can I Use for the Santa Nose and Eyes?
Santa always has a red nose and cheeks in pictures I have seen. So, I like the idea of using the red pom. Of course, googly eyes are a great option for the eyes. Below are some other fun ideas that can work to give your Santa a unique face and look.
- Glue buttons together with a large white one having a black, blue, green, or similar smaller button in the center to use as eyes.
- Pom poms, painted cotton balls, bits of fabric, or paint can be used for the nose.
- Cut felt into eye and nose shapes then attach on the paintbrush with glue.
How Do You Hang These?
The best way to hang these paintbrushes Santa Claus decorations is to use a nail or a screw through the hole in the handle. You can also add a string or ribbon into the hole of the handle. Then you can hang the ribbon using a thumbtack or something similar. Another simple way to use the ribbon to hang the Santa is to use a wreath hanger. This hooks to the top of the door and then hangs down. Hang the ribbon off the hanger and then it will lay on the door.
What Kind of Paint Should I Use on the Paintbrush Handle?
What you use really depends upon the type of paintbrush you actually buy. The wooden handles will work great with everything from craft paint to spray paint. A plastic handle may be more difficult to keep paint on. If that is the case, you might want to lightly sand it to create a surface for the paint to stick to easier.
- Large paintbrushes
- Red craft paint
- White craft paint
- Cotton balls
- Googly eyes
- Red pom poms
- Green foam paper
- Red beads or fake berries
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue stick
How to Make a Paintbrush Santa Claus
Paint the handle of your paintbrush red on both sides then set it aside to dry completely.
Then, once the handle is completely dry, you can add white dots of paint on the front (and back if wanted) to give a polka dot or snowy look. Set aside to dry completely.
Once dry, add glue around the metal part of the paintbrush and attach cotton batting around it to create the brim of the hat. Leave a small bit of the metal showing at the base.
Glue on googly eyes just below the white part of the hat.
Add a red pom pom in the center of the paintbrush bristles to create the nose.
Cut out three holly leaf shapes from the green glitter paper for each Santa you will be making.
Glue the leaves together on the top corner of the white cotton portion of the hat. Add a bead or fake berry to the middle of the green leaves with a bit of hot glue.
Hang or display your Santa Claus decorations on your tree, mantle, or as part of any Christmas display.
More Easy Christmas Decorations
If holiday decor is something you enjoy making, we have tons of great ideas to add to your mantle this year. Below are a few of my favorite holiday decorations that I know you will love making and adding to your home for Christmas celebrations. You can print the tutorials, pin them to Pinterest, or bookmark the individual crafts to your browser to make them soon!
- 60+ DIY Christmas Ornaments to Hang on Your Tree This Year
- Festive Snowflake Christmas Wreath
- Rustic Button Christmas Wreath
- Cute Wooden Spoon Christmas Decorations
- DIY Giant Lollipop Christmas Decorations
- Paint the handle of your paintbrush red on both sides then set it aside to dry completely.
- When the handle is completely dry, you can add white dots of paint on the front (and back if wanted) to give a polka dot or snowy look. Set aside to dry completely.
- Once dry, add glue around the metal part of the paintbrush and attach cotton batting around it to create the brim of the hat. Leave a small bit of the metal showing at the base.
- Glue on googly eyes just below the white part of the hat.
- Add a red pom pom in the center of the paintbrush bristles to create the nose.
- Cut out three holly leaf shapes from the green glitter paper for each Santa you will be making.
- Glue the leaves together on the top corner of the white cotton portion of the hat.
- Add a bead or fake berry to the middle of the green leaves with a bit of hot glue.
Decorate the handle with any of your favorite additions like glitter, sequins, or beads to make it more unique.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santa Claus Paintbrush Christmas Ornaments sets of 2 | Etsy
Hand-painted and Handcrafted Santa Paintbrush Christmas | Etsy
1 Santa Paint Brush Ornament Tree Ornament Santa Claus | Etsy
Paint Brush Santa Ornie | Etsy
Santa Paint Brush Ornament | Etsy
Altered Paintbrush in All the Colors of Santa Claus. Hand | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Need something cheap? Grab used brushes at a thrift shop or get them in bulk from a dollar store.
Such cute ideas can be customized with different colors, adding beads, or ribbons!