If you want to add a bit of beauty to your day, check out this simple but stunning paper rose ball made from old book pages. A few cuts, rolls, and a dab of glue and you have a ball covered in paper roses. I added a few extra fake roses to the ball and a pretty ribbon to hang from and turned trash into true treasure with this project.
Paper Rose Ball from Old Book Pages
My obsession with old book page crafts and flowers combines once again for a beautiful addition to your home decor. This little ball ornament is such a fun project! It takes just a little time to create, but really brightens up a room.
While I hand cut out my roses, you can easily use a template or even an SVG file to make this. Grab any type of paper and use it for making simply rolled flowers that easily glue onto the ball for decorating. While I love turning old books that would be trash into something beautiful like this, I’m also happy to use any paper to match a theme or holiday.
Where Can I Hang This Ornament?
When you think of ornament, you may automatically think of the holiday trees. This is great for that as well, but I like this to hang in windows any time of the year. I’m also a huge fan of adding this to a wreath or even placing it into a bowl as part of a centerpiece.
You can hang this anywhere you want. From a door, windows, ceiling over a table, attached to a chandelier, from a light fixture, or even on a door handle. It’s to be used however you prefer! Whether you put it on a holiday tree as part of a decoration, or you add it to many other home decor ideas, it’s a super fun and easy project you’ll love.
Variations of a Flower Ball Decoration
This project focuses on using old book pages to create small rolled flowers. Adding those to a round form, adding a few fake flowers and some ribbon all elevate a simple project. Those aren’t the only options for adding to this decoration! Below are a few other ideas I love.
- Use different types of paper for the roses
- Accent with silver or gold beads instead of artificial flowers
- Spray with glue and sprinkle glitter onto the paper flowers
- Use spray paint or stain to paint the paper before rolling into flowers to add extra color
- Use twine or rope as the hanger instead of ribbon
- Add artificial green leaves to the bouquet around the flowers for more color and a more natural look
Do I Have to Use a Styrofoam Ball?
No! You can use anything you want. A round grapevine ball, paper ball, plastic ball, or even a wooden ball can all be used in place of the styrofoam. If you made this for Easter, you could even use an egg in a variety of sizes.
The idea behind this project can be used on boxes, wreaths, balls, wreath forms, and any shape you desire. It’s all about rolling the paper into roses and adding alongside colorful fake flowers and ribbons for a more beautiful look.
- Old book pages
- Styrofoam ball
- Pink satin ribbon
- Artificial flowers in shades of pink
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks or hot glue rope
How to Make a Paper Rose Ball from Old Book Pages
Tear pages from an old book. You will want around 10-15 pages depending upon what size Styrofoam ball you choose.
Cut these pages in half horizontally, and then cut a circle out of each half.
Cut the circles into a spiral starting on the outside and working your way inward leaving a small piece in the center to glue the flower together.
Start rolling from the outside inward keeping the paper tight until it forms a flower.
Add a touch of hot glue at the end to seal in place.
Continue this process until all of the circles have been rolled into flowers.
Glue the flowers onto the styrofoam ball.
Cover all sides of the ball until everything is covered.
Cut a length of pink ribbon and tie the ends together for a way to hang the paper rose ball. Use a pen or scissors to push the end of the ribbon you tied into the center of the styrofoam. Add a bit of glue to hold in place.
Now, add a few of the miniature flowers randomly around the ball between the paper flowers.
Hang on a door, mantle, or as desired in your home.
Do you love flowers as much as I do? If so, you will absolutely adore these easy paper flower projects! Here is another old book flower ball decoration to make. You might also want to make tissue paper ball flowers. Of course, these easy DIY yarn pom pom flower bouquets that are another fun option to make.
If using traditional craft or scrapbook paper instead of book pages, use these SVG or PDF flower files to print and cut out flowers to roll instead of doing them freehand.
- Remove 10-15 pages from an old book;
- Cut the pages in half horizontally and then cut a circle out of each half page;
- Cut a spiral out of the circle starting on the outside and ending with a small piece in the center to help secure the flower;
- Start rolling the spiral from the outside inward keeping the roll tight until it forms the flower, then glue in place at the bottom center;
- Repeat until all of the circles have been rolled into flower shapes;
- Glue the flowers onto the styrofoam ball covering the entire ball;
- Cut a length of ribbon and tie the ends then glue and stick the ribbon into the center of the ball to create a way to hang it;
- Glue fake flowers around the ball between the paper flowers;
- Once happy with the design, you can hang as desired.
Use any color paper and flower to create a look to match the season or holiday.