One look at this adorable upcycled spoon butterfly and you will want to make a dozen of them. These butterflies are absolutely precious. It’s an ideal craft to do with the kids. I love that the supplies are so easy to find at the dollar store, and it’s easy to get creative and make them unique. I’m sure the kids will love this project as much as I do!
Upcycled Spoon Butterfly
Upcycled crafts are a wonderful way to reuse materials that are laying around the house. A simple spoon easily turns into a cute little critter in no time at all. This project is perfect for use in homeschooling when teaching kids about butterflies. I love the beauty in them changing from an ugly caterpillar to a beautiful butterfly.
This project is fun for adding to spring and summer decorations. There’s just something fun about seeing a little cute butterfly poking out around a plant or sticking up from a centerpiece on your table!
What Ways Can I Use These Spoon Butterflies to Decorate?
Butterflies are the epitome of delicacy and beauty. Adding them to home decor is a favorite way to take something basic and turn it into something special. I love getting creative with crafts I make with my kids, and this one is super easy to add to my regular decor.
- Add them to a bowl of fruit on your table
- Stick inside a potted plant to add spring or summer vibes
- Place in a vase with artificial or real flowers
- Create a terrarium style centerpiece with these at the center
- Tuck them into decorations for birthday parties
- Add to a utensil holder at a party
- Stick into your herb garden to add some extra beauty to the room
- Put a magnet on the back of the spoon and add to the refrigerator
How Can I Customize my Spoon Butterfly?
Since butterflies come in all different colors, it makes perfect sense to make your own in different colors. There are tons of fun ideas for customizing your butterfly. I tend to make things like this simply as an example for those who may have limited access to supplies, but there are a ton of ideas in my head for adding to them.
- Use glitter foam paper for adding sparkle
- Add a variety of different scrapbook paper styles for different colors
- Draw a pattern onto the wings and copy it with markers or paint pens so it matches on each side
- Accent the shape with beads or sequins that glitter in the sun
- Use different types of spoons
- Add googly eyes instead of drawing them onto the butterfly
Can I Use Wooden Spoons Instead?
I made my butterflies using a plastic spoon. It was a great way to upcycle household materials, but you can definitely use a wooden spoon if you prefer. In fact, you could use any spoon you wanted to make these.
If you are using a wooden spoon, you can leave it a natural wood color or you can paint it to give it the bright look that it has with the plastic spoon. For those wanting to take it to the next level, there is always your regular dining spoons. These could be turned into a butterfly using beads and glittery papers or cloth instead.
Get creative and make your butterflies into anything you want. They are a beautiful creation that can be customized easily to suit your mood and style.
- Plastic spoons
- Multiple colors craft paper
- Scrapbook paper in bright colors or patterns
- Pipe cleaners
- Beads, sequins, or mini flowers
- Paint pen or marker
- Craft glue
How to Make an Upcycled Spoon Butterfly
On a solid paper of your choice, draw the wings shape.
Cut out this shape (one for each butterfly you plan to make).
On a patterned piece of paper, trace the same shape, only slightly smaller, and then cut it out.
Tip: To make this shape, draw a heart shape on paper, fold the paper at the bottom of the heart, then cut out the two-sided heart that now looks like wings.
Glue the smaller scrapbook paper onto the larger to create the wings for the butterfly.
Try to make sure both sides are matching.
Glue the wings to a plastic spoon making sure the bottom of the spoon is facing up.
Cut the pipe cleaners into small pieces and curl to add antennae. Glue the pipe cleaners onto the back top of the spoon.
Use a paint pen or permanent marker to draw on eyes and a smile.
Use an accent color to add color to the cheeks or eyes.
Add embellishments to the wings. I used mini flowers, but you can add sequins or beads if desired.
Now you can display your butterfly as wanted.
Butterflies are so beautiful and unique that I have a number of great ideas for adding them to crafts. One of my recent favorites is this toilet paper roll butterfly, but you might also love this rustic butterfly from an old book page. I even love this rustic burlap butterfly craft. It’s so cute and a great addition to any wreath.
For projects like this one, I love using paint pens. I found this great set of 30 acrylic paint pens that are affordable and perfect for those times when you want to paint but need an extra fine point.
- Draw and then cut out a wing shape on a solid colored piece of paper;
- Using that as a template, draw a slightly smaller wing shape on the patterned or scrapbook paper and cut it out;
- Glue the smaller wings onto the larger ones;
- Now, glue the spoon, bottom side up, to the paper wings;
- Cut and roll pipe cleaners into an antenna and then glue those on the top back of the spoon;
- Use a marker or paint pen and draw a face and eyes onto the spoon;
- Add dots of pink for cheeks;
- Add any embellishments like beads, sequins, glitter, or flowers to decorate your butterflies;
- Now they are ready to display!
Have fun adding glitter and sparkle to your butterfly to make it your own unique butterfly!
Finished Project Gallery