This salmon patty recipe is going to become a favorite at your dinner table. The combination of canned salmon, pantry spices, breadcrumbs, and a hint of special sauce make them flavorful and affordable. You can whip this recipe up in minutes, and serve as an appetizer, or the main dish of your meal.
If you like fritters, you can make these cauliflower fritters as a vegetarian option that can be a side dish or an entree.
Salmon Patty Recipe
This salmon patty recipe is a favorite for those busy nights when I want something homemade, but don't have a lot of time. I keep canned salmon on hand at all times because it is such an affordable protein. Mixing it with a few ingredients to add flavor, I whip up these patties and have them in the pan to cook in no time at all.
If you like simple salmon recipes, make sure to check out my crispy garlic parmesan salmon recipe as another main dish recipe your family will love.
Can I Use Fresh Salmon Instead of Canned?
If you happen to have fresh salmon on hand, you can definitely use it for this recipe. I typically don't like to use fresh salmon in this kind of recipe as it cooks so much more delicious in other methods.
However, it's ideal for a meal when I have a piece of leftover salmon from grilling or broiling it the day before.
Simply make sure the salmon is cooked through and flake it until it is easy to blend with the other ingredients.
Unlike canned salmon, you likely won't have to worry about removing any bones or skin pieces, which can make a better overall experience.
What Do You Serve with Salmon Patties?
For this recipe, I typically serve rice and a vegetable. As seen in the pictures, sliced tomatoes and rice are a perfect option. However, that's not always the best option or what I have on hand. So, below are some of my preferred sides that fit well with salmon.
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Asparagus Spearsor roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.
- Your favorite rice or rice blend. White rice, brown rice, wild rice, or rice pilaf.
- Summer Squash or Zucchini roasted, baked, or sauteed.
- Baked potatoes, roasted potatoes, or these Crockpot mashed potatoes.
Note: Make sure to have a sauce option for dipping. I love making homemade tartar sauce, but a jar from the grocery store will work just as well.
- Red onion
- Lime juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper
Steps to Make Salmon Patty
Measure and prepare your ingredients so you can have everything on hand needed to prepare your salmon patties.
When using canned salmon, drain the salmon and then pour it into a bowl to remove any bones, skin, or fatty pieces that may be on the salmon. Once that has been removed, you can pour into the bowl you will use for mixing the salmon patty recipe together.
In the bowl, you will use a fork to mix together all ingredients until you form a paste that comes together easily.
Separate the salmon mixture and form into 6-7 patties. Place these on a plate and begin heating oil in a skillet or frying pan.
Once the pan is hot, place the salmon patties in an even layer and cook until golden brown on both sides. This will take around 3-4 minutes per side.
Remove from the skillet, and allow to drain on a paper towel before serving.
Printable Recipe Card:
Salmon Patty Recipe with Video
This salmon patty recipe is a perfect recipe for a fast weeknight meal! Salmon, breadcrumbs, and the perfect additions for the flavor it will become a family favorite meal.
- 2 cans salmon
- 1 egg
- ¼ red onion, minced
- ½ cups breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- To begin, gather your ingredients and prepare anything needed. I like to go ahead and measure out everything, and dice the onion at this point;
- If you are using canned salmon, make sure to drain it first and clean out any bits of bone or skin that may be mixed into the can;
- Next, you will mix together the salmon, egg, breadcrumbs, onion, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, and salt and appear until this forms a paste that comes together easily;
- If unsure about the salt and pepper amounts, add ⅛ teaspoon of each and then season with additional if needed after they are done cooking;
- Begin heating oil in a large skillet;
- When the oil is hot, you will form 6 patties from the salmon mixture and place them in an even layer in the skillet;
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown and heated through;
- Place the cooked salmon on a paper towel covered plate to drain;
- Serve with sauce and sides as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 19g
Leave a Reply