Anytime I have a potluck dinner to attend, mashed potatoes are my go to side dish. In fact, I fix mashed potatoes at home several times per week. My kids love them and it is the one dish that I know will be eaten no matter what main dish I am serving. Of course, nobody likes boxed mashed potatoes. They’re quick and easy but there is just nothing like the real thing – which is where these crockpot mashed potatoes come in.
If you have a big potluck dinner coming up, these are the perfect side dish potatoes to fix. They are super quick and easy and you can just take them in the crockpot so they will stay perfectly warm. My kids love mashed potatoes in general but they really loved these, probably because they are made with real potatoes and aren’t just from a box. Plus, you could use any type of potato that you want. New red potatoes would be great for this – and you can leave the peelings on to give them a bit of color. If you want a great comfort food meal, serve these alongside this beef casserole.
Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 hours
Total time: 4-5 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 200 g (7 oz)
Type: Side dish
1 kg (2 pounds) of whole potatoes
3 garlic cloves
2 ½ cups of milk
¼ cup of butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and chop potatoes into about 2.5 cm (1-inch cubes).
2. Put potatoes into a slow cooker, add whole peeled garlic cloves, a generous pinch of salt and pepper and 2 cups of milk.
3. Cover with a lid and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
4. Combine leftover milk with melted butter.
5. Mash potatoes with a potato masher and start slowly adding milk and butter mixture to reach desired consistency. Add more salt and pepper as needed.
Fresh potatoes give these mashed potatoes a wonderfully traditional flavor
Wash, peel and cube potatoes and then put into the crockpot for cooking
Potatoes cook up perfectly in just a few hours
This is the perfect side dish to compliment any main course
Yields 6 servings
Serves 7 oz (200 g)
15 minPrep Time
5 hrCook Time
5 hr, 15 Total Time
- 1 kg (2 pounds) of whole potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 ½ cups of milk
- ¼ cup of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop potatoes into about 2.5 cm (1-inch cubes).
- Put potatoes into a slow cooker, add whole peeled garlic cloves, a generous pinch of salt and pepper and 2 cups of milk.
- Cover with a lid and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine leftover milk with melted butter.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher and start slowly adding milk and butter mixture to reach desired consistency. Add more salt and pepper as needed.