I was looking for a way to embellish another project I was working on, and I got to thinking that to celebrate summer, maybe I’d add some cute flowers—but where was I going to get them? And then I figured maybe there was a simple way to create flowers out of everyday materials which would be perfect for sprucing up outfits, hair clips, and so forth.
That was what led me to decide to make flat fabric flowers. I really love the result I came up with, and it was such an easy project that I decided to make a quick video tutorial to show you how it’s done.
How to Make Fabric Flowers
Once you are adept at making these flowers, you can create a lot of them quickly.
Materials for Making Flowers From Fabric
So what do you need to create fabric flowers by hand? In the tools department, you will need a pair of scissors, a pen, hot glue and a glue gun, and a sewing needle.
For materials, you will need some decorative fabric, some thread, and some type of bead to put it in the center of the finished fabric flower. Additionally, you will need some type of round object to trace like the lid of a jar.
Each of the flower petals will start out as a circle of fabric which you fold in half a couple of times. So keep that in mind when you are deciding what size of round object to use.
There Is So Much You Can Do With Handmade Fabric Flowers
What is fantastic about these handcrafted fabric flowers is how versatile they are once they are completed. You can turn them into pins or hair accessories, add them to jewelry or clothing, or use them as embellishments for other types of crafts. You will probably come up with a ton of ideas once you get started with this project.
How to Make Fabric Flowers Step-by-Step Video and Photo Tutorial:
Are you ready to make your own fabric flowers? Find the quick list of materials and tools below along with written instructions to go with the video.
- A round object (i.e. a jar lid)
- Hot glue and glue gun
- The first step is to begin making the circles of fabric that you need to create the flower petals. Place your round object on top of your fabric and trace around it using a pen.
- After you have finished tracing a circle, use your scissors to cut it out of the fabric.
- Decide how many petals you want to make per flower. I think that six petals work well for this project, so I cut out six circles.
- Take one of the fabric circles and fold it in half. Once you have done that, fold it in half again. It should now look like a quarter of a circle.
- Use a needle and thread to sew the sides of the folded piece of fabric shut. As you do this, it should take on the shape of a petal.
- Once you have created all of the flower petals, you will need to sew them together.
- Cut away any excess thread left over after tying a knot to secure the end.
- To complete the flower, use hot glue to attach a bead to the center.
- Once you have finished creating your first fabric flower, you can make more if you wish. Once you get into a rhythm, you will find that this is a fast and easy project.
- As I mentioned before, there are so many ways you can wear or display beautifully handcrafted flowers made from fabric.
My favorite Etsy flower decorations.
What to Make Next After You Create Beautiful Fabric Flowers
If you had a fun time making these easy fabric flowers, there are a number of other projects on the site which I think you’ll enjoy it. Here’s another easy tutorial for making fabric flowers which look totally different from the ones you just created. You might also enjoy this wearable project to make a gorgeous fabric flower headband.
I also recently posted a video tutorial which teaches you how to make beautiful flowers out of an old pair of jeans. And if you have fun with that, try and re-create some of these 40 repurposing projects for old denims.
Check back in again soon, as I am always putting together new fast and easy DIY tutorials for you to enjoy.
Pin this project: