I am so excited that it's finally spring! That means that I can get outside and work in my gardens. I recently came across this fantastic garden treasure jar that I couldn't wait to share with you all.
What Is A Garden Treasure Jar?
Garden treasure jars are decorated jars that you place in your flower garden. Kids can place their wishes in them and when the sun shines on the jars they will come true, but they can hold real treasure – you could use them to hide your spare house keys, too – or you can just use them for decorating.
Add some lights, and you could turn these into gorgeous lanterns for your garden, also.
What Types Of Jars Can You Use For Treasure Jars?
This is the great part! You can use any glass jar that you would typically throw out. You all know how much I love my decorative mason jar crafts. You can use mason jars, but don’t worry if you don’t have any of those on hand. You can also use:
- Pickle Jars
- Jelly Jars
- Applesauce Jars
- Mayonnaise Jars
- Any glass jar that you have on hand!
How To Make Garden Art Treasure Jars
You’re basically going to be gluing glass stones onto your glass jars. You can get glass stones at the Dollar Store for just a dollar or two per bag. I’ve found them on Amazon as well, and they are really inexpensive. They come in different colors, too. You could get all clear stones for an exquisite look or use stones of different colors.
What Other Crafts Can You Do With Empty Jars?
I know that I have shown you loads of ideas for using empty mason jars. I’ve got a great video on how to make a fairy house from a glass jar and some great DIY mason jar organizers. And of course, there are these cute baby food jar craft ideas. There are just so many things that you can DIY with empty jars!
How To Make Garden Treasure Jars
If you want a super easy – not to mention really cheap – way to dress up your garden, these DIY garden treasure jars are perfect. You only need a jar and some glass stones to create these gorgeous garden decorations.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Active Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Empty Glass Jar
- Decorative Glass Stones
- Hot Glue Gun
1. Choose your empty glass jar. Make sure that the jar is clean and dry before you begin.
2. Get your selection of glass stones together – clear, multi-colored – the choice of design is yours!
3. Begin gluing stones onto the outside of the jar, beginning with the very bottom of the jar. Note that if your hot glue gun doesn’t do a great job, you can also use Super Glue for this step.
4. You want to place the stones as close as you can to create a completely covered design.
5. Continue gluing stones onto the jar until you have it completely covered.
6. All done! You can also add in some clear lights or solar powered tealights to create garden lanterns. Dollar Store has battery powered tealights that are really cheap.
7. If you want to use these as actual treasure jars, print off a treasure map and hide it inside! So much fun for the whole family!
8. Your finished treasure jar should look something like this:
What’s your favorite DIY garden decoration?
what kind of light would you use? Do I take the light from a solar light that you would pick up at the dollar store? This is such a cool project I want to try this and put them around the base of the many trees we have and around the outside of a pool. no glass near the pool ...could cost you a liner,if one broke and went in the pool
Try some battery powered led lights, solar lights would need sunshine to re-charge, if you can manage that it's doable but that would involve cutting the lid and gluing the solar part on top of the jars.
Glad you like this project Sherry!
I really love these jar. I always keep old jars and bottles, decorate them with floers, fairy doors, mermaids and fish made with clay and they go a local charity shop to raise funds. New ideas always appreciated. Helps the planet recycling too.
Love this idea...The best kind of jars, I have found, are the ones green olives come in...these have the perfect width. for all my crafts.