Your favorite appetizer can now be made at home easily! Homemade soft pretzel bites with cheese sauce to serve your family or crowd. Your self-control won’t stand a chance with these cheesy bites of glory!
This is the perfect snack for tailgating, party appetizers, midnight snacks, and more. There is no wrong time to serve up these outstanding soft pretzels.
Plus, I share a variety of ways to dip your pretzels, in case you don’t want the cheese sauce. No matter how you serve up this pretzel bite recipe, you and your guests will be delighted.
More Appetizers or Snack Style Food
Soft Pretzel Bites
The beauty of this recipe is these pretzel bites will come together fast. Once your dough is ready, you just slice into bite-size pieces and start cooking. Pair with a homemade cheese sauce and dive in and enjoy the delightful flavors in each bite.
As you bake up these pretzels, they turn into a golden nugget that is slightly crispy on the outside and soft and flaky on the inside.
What To Dip Soft Pretzels In
You can dip soft pretzels into almost anything you want. Eat plain or grab one or more soft pretzels dipping sauces and dive in.
I personally love our cheese sauce that you will find attached with the recipe below. You can also dip these soft pretzels in:
- Honey Mustard
- Ranch Dressing
- Marinara Sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Spinach Dip
- Cream Cheese
- Chocolate Sauce
How to Store Pretzel Bites
The best way to store your soft pretzel bites is to wrap them in a dishcloth and then place in a plastic airtight container. Then store in a cool place. You can even store them in the fridge and allow them to reach room temperature before serving.
You can also heat them up in the microwave for that warm factor. Or wrap up in aluminum foil and place in the oven till warm to serve hot.
Can I Freeze Homemade Pretzel Bites?
Yes! I suggest freezing all the pretzels you don’t plan to eat the same day. This will give you the best quality later on. Just toss them in the freezer in a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to one month. Thaw and reheat and devour.
How To Make Pretzel Bites
- Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees.
- Then in a bowl, add your warm milk (110 degrees), water, sugar, melted butter and yeast. Whisk to combine and let sit for 5 minutes to ensure the yeast proofs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk your flour and salt and pour it into your yeast mixture. Stir the dough until formed and then knead for around 10 minutes.
- Cover and set the dough aside and allow it to double in size which takes around 1 hour.
- Once the dough has risen, cut the dough in half, and start making ropes. Cut ropes into bite sizes pieces.
- Then in a pot, bring water to a boil and add in your baking soda. Then drop in around 6-8 pieces and allow each pretzel to boil for 30 seconds.
- Remove and place on the baking sheet, with parchment paper. Repeat until all the pieces are boiled.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the pretzels are baking, start on your cheese sauce. Mix butter and flour together and whisk for around one minute.
(Pro-tip you can stock up butter when it's on sale and simply freeze it and use it anytime.)
- Slowly work the milk into the mixture, and once creamy, add in your cheese a little at a time. Once it is nice and bubbly it is done. Lower heat and serve warm with pretzels.
- Sturdy Pot
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Silpat
Easy Pretzel Bites Recipe
This truly is one simple and easy pretzel bites recipe. Once you make it you will never want to go out and buy it again. This recipe makes quite a few pretzel bites so feel free to freeze and reheat when you want to serve up more bites.
That is how we do it. I serve some up for a snack, and then freeze the rest. These make great after-school snacks, party appetizers and more. Just reheating from the freezer will be all it takes.
For The Bites:
- ½ cup of warm water
- ¼ cup of warm milk
- 1 ¼ tsps. of dry yeast
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 1.5 oz. (45 g) of butter, melted
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 2-2 ½ cups of flour
- ¼ cup of baking soda;
- 4 cups of water
- Salt and egg wash
For The Sauce:
- 4 tbsps. of butter
- 2 tbsps. of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 ½ cups of cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425F (210C).
- Combine warm milk and water with sugar, melted butter and yeast, whisk to combine.
- Separately whisk flour with salt and pour yeast solution in. Stir the dough with a wooden spoon, then knead until smooth (about 10 minutes). Set aside to double in size for about 1 hour.
- Cut the dough in half and roll each half into a rope. Cut the rope into bite-sized pieces.
- Boil 4 cups of water and carefully add ¼ cup of baking soda (water will boil very active after that, so be extra careful).
- Taking about 6-8 pieces at a time, boil pretzel bites for 30 seconds, remove and transfer to a parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Repeat with leftover pieces, let them dry a little bit, then brush with egg wash and sprinkle some salt on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until nice and golden.
- Meanwhile, make cheese sauce by melting butter and adding flour into it. Whisk and cook for about a minute, then start pouring in the milk slowly, while whisking constantly.
- When the sauce base is nice and thick, start adding cheese in small portions, still whisking constantly until cheese sauce is smooth and bubbly.
- Serve warm pretzel bites with hot cheese sauce.
Serving Size:6.3 oz. (180 g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 26.6gSaturated Fat: 16.7gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 2350mgCarbohydrates: 51.9gFiber: 20.8gSugar: 30gProtein: 16.7g