If you want to add some cute floral decor to your home, this plastic bottle flower craft is absolutely adorable! It’s a fun and unique decoration that uses upcycled materials and is beautiful on any counter or shelf. The best part of this craft is that it can be so easily customized to fit any decor style. Whether you want a bright and colorful display, or you want to make something more subdued, this is easy to create.
Plastic Bottle Flower
This craft is also very easy to make, so it’s great for people of all ages. All you need is a plastic bottle, some paint, and a little bit of creativity. It’s a perfect craft to make with kids when trying to encourage them to recycle. You can make beautiful flowers like this in any color that you want, and they’re a fun addition to any room of your home.
If you want to display real flowers instead of a fake ones like this, then you can make another fun recycling project with this sparkling rhinestone vase that is made out of an empty plastic bottle. It’s just another wonderful craft that is also excellent frugal home decor.
What Should I Use For The Flower Base?
When you are making the flower base you want to use a strong wire that can be molded into place. I like to use stiff jewelry or floral wire. If you don’t have a sturdy wire that you can bend to shape, you can also create a base out of a plate, piece of foam, or wooden block. Then you just use a more traditional floral wire to create the stem. If you aren’t sure about how sturdy the flower will be, the heavier base is a good choice.
What Should I Use For The Stem of the Flower?
The stem of the flower is also made using the same floral wire. If you do not have the wire to use, you want something that is similar that you can mold into place but is strong enough to hold the flower at the end. Below are a few ideas that work well for the stem of the flower.
- A metal hanger that has been cut and bent into a curved shape.
- Dowels, sticks, twigs, skewers, or branches can be cut and taped or glued together then covered with foam paper to create a stem and curved top.
- Use an existing smaller hook for similar decor and just add your own flower to the end.
- If you do not have the wire, you could also use molding clay. Once hardened, you can wrap the clay in floral tape or something similar to help it stay strong enough to hold the plastic bottle.
How Can I Customize My Plastic Bottle Flower?
Now that you know how to make the basic plastic bottle flower, it’s time to get creative and customize your own! There are some more fun ways to make it your own below. Pick and choose what works for you, and create the ultimate flower decoration!
- You can paint the bottle any color you want and if you are especially good with painting, you could even make it multiple colors like a naturally swirled flower.
- Add some sparkle to the flower by spraying with glitter spray or brushing with glue and sprinkling on some glitter.
- Use different shapes and sizes of bottles to make your flowers look even different. You can even use a smaller bottle as the flower base then add a larger bottle over it for a layered look of petals.
- Add fake moss, sticks, pinecones, leaves, or acorns around the base to make a more rustic flower decoration.
- Finally, don’t be afraid to get creative with your leaves! You can use different colors of paper, or even real leaves if you want.
Just have fun and be creative! This is your decoration so use your own style and talents to make it truly fit your home, decor style, and personality.
- Empty water bottle
- Pink spray paint
- Green felt
- Green glitter foam paper
- Fake leaves
- Heavy-duty floral wire
- White yarn
- Craft knife
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Soldering iron
How to Make a Plastic Bottle Flower
To begin, you will make the base for your flower. That starts with a thick moldable wire that is sturdy and will hold its shape. Create a base by curving into a circle on one end.
Then, you will curve the wire upwards about 12 inches, and curve over the end to create a hook shape.
At the very end of the hook, you will create a small circle for hanging the flower from later.
Set this aside, and begin cutting the glitter paper into strips to wrap around the wire. I cut it into 1/4″ strips.
Begin at the bottom of the circle base, and start wrapping the wire with the strips of glitter paper.
Continue this process, overlapping and adding extra glue as needed. On the end of the wire, leave the circle/hook uncovered.
Set aside the base, and begin making your flower by cutting the top 1/3 of a bottle off. Discard the base of the bottle keeping the top lid end only.
Now, paint this piece pink and set it aside to dry completely.
Once the paint has dried, use a soldering iron to make a hole in the center of the lid on the bottle piece.
Now, make a loop of rope or thick twine and string it through the hole in the lid so that the loop is on the top, and a knot is tied on the inside of the lid to hold it in place.
Leave the two ends long enough to dangle down just to the edge or a bit below the edge, of the cut end of the bottle.
Glue the q-tips, one on each piece of rope dangling out from the bottom of the flower.
Cut a piece of green felt that is around 8″ long and 3″ wide.
Then, fold this in half a few times, and cut a “v” shape onto one edge of the felt.
Unfold this and then wrap it around the neck of the bottle. Glue into place so it covers the neck and upper part of the flower with the scallops pointing toward the bottom of the flower. Trim any excess felt off the end.
Now, use tape or glue to attach fake flowers along the stem you already created until you are satisfied with the look.
Hook the rope on top of the flower through the circle at the end of the wire stem.
Now you can display your flower on any table!
More Easy DIY Flowers
I love making flowers to add to my home decor. Whether it is a paper flower, a plastic bottle flower like this, or one made out of yarn, below are some great ideas that you can add to your crafting project list. Make these and add some beautiful flowers to your home Take the time to bookmark these ideas, print out the tutorials, or pin them on a Pinterest crafting board.
- Beautiful Miniature Ribbon Flowers Tutorial
- Fanciful Upcycled Soda Can Flowers
- Beautiful Hand Made Paper Flowers Decoration
- Decorative Repurposed Paper Roll Flowers
- DIY Pom Pom Flowers Bouquet
- Carefully curve the wire to create a round at the bottom for the base of your hanging flower.
- Then, curve the rest upwards at a hook shape angle. Add a small hook/circle at the very end.
- Now, cut the glitter paper into 1/4" strips.
- Starting at the bottom round, begin wrapping the wire with the glitter paper.
- Continue, overlapping as needed, until you have covered all of the wire except for the small circle on the end.
- Cut the top 1/3 of the bottle off and discard the base keeping the lid end.
- Now, spray paint this pink and set it aside to dry.
- Once it has dried, use a soldering iron to make a hole in the center of the lid.
- Then, string thick yarn or white rope through the hole making a loop on the top with two pieces dangling out from the base of the bottle.
- Glue a q-tip to each of these pieces so the bud of the q-tip dangles below the flower when held up.
- Cut a length of felt around 8" long and 3" wide.
- Now, fold the green felt in half, then in half again.
- Cut along one side making a "v" shape.
- Unfold this to see a scalloped/pointed edge. Then glue it around the lid of the bottle, so it covers the neck and lid but lays against the top of the bottle with the "v" pointing downward. Trim off any excess on the end.
- Next, glue or wrap fake leaves around the stem you created earlier. I added one every 3" or so.
- Lastly, hook the yarn from the top of the bottle through the hook you added to the top edge of the hook stem so the flower dangles downward with the q-tip pieces showing below the edge of the bottle.
Make your flower any color you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dried Flower Mobile Strawflower & Willow Hanging Floral | Etsy
Framed Floral Wall Hanging Dried Flowers Wall Decor Home | Etsy
Propagation Station Wall Hanging 7 Pieces Set Wall Plant | Etsy
Stained Glass Flower Suncatcher for Window Hanging | Etsy
Floral Wall Hanging Dried Flowers Wall Decor Home Decor | Etsy
Boho Wall Decor Flowers Pom Pom Flower Wall Hanging Daisy | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Make this in several colors and add one to each table around the house!