With this easy snowman pinecone ornament, you can create a festive decoration for your home that will last all winter! Of course, this is ideal for Christmas, but a snowman is a winter theme that can add to your decor throughout the season. These charming ornaments are made from pinecones as the base of the snowman. Simple and fun, these ornaments are perfect for the holiday season!
Snowman Pinecone Ornament
This is an awesome project for kids and adults alike. Your family will love seeing these cute ornaments hanging on their Christmas tree every year, and they are sure to become a tradition in your household that everyone looks forward to each holiday season. Plus, once you get started making them, we know you won’t want to stop! And with such affordable supplies (and no special tools required), there's no reason not to make them today.
If you have extra pinecones after you make this ornament, you might want to make this colorful Christmas pinecone ornament or even this miniature Christmas tree pinecone decoration. Both are great ways to add more rustic looks to your holiday decor.
What Can I Use for the Snowman Head?
When you are making the snowman head, you will want to use a small ball. I like to use what I have on hand, and in this case, it was a small styrofoam ball. Other popular options include some wooden balls that you can find in the craft store. I have also seen these or wooden beads in stores like Walmart, Target, or even at a local Dollar Tree store.
Another option to use would be a golf ball or a ping pong ball. Both are items you may already have on hand and that can glue onto the pinecone easily. Of course, if you want to paint them a different color or add faces, you can do so. Also, if gluing the paper hat on top is difficult, use a bit of sandpaper on the top to roughen it up so the glue and paper will stick well to the top of the ball.
What Can I Use for the Snowman Hat?
I grabbed some craft paper and cut and glued it together for this hat. You can make your snowman hat using craft paper, scrapbook paper, cardstock, or even foam paper. Of course, for a larger snowman, you might use an empty toilet paper roll or a paper towel roll. Just cut it down to size and paint or cover with paper.
How Should I Hang This From the Tree?
You will need to add some twine to the snowman to hang it. I like to add the twine around the hat so that it looks like a decoration as well. Run the twine along the top of the hat and along the base of the hat. You can also use the twine or other string around the snowman's neck. Then you can cover the string with the pipe cleaner. Either of these methods will work for hanging the snowman pinecone ornament.
Gluing a hook or length of ribbon along the back of the pinecone underneath or behind the styrofoam head or just at the top of the pinecone can also work well for making this easy to hang on a holiday tree.
What Other Ways Can I Decorate a Snowman Ornament?
You can decorate the snowman ornament any way you like. There are tons of fun ways to add your own style to this. Below are just a few of my personal favorite ideas.
- You can change the color of the hat from red, to black to blue or any color you like.
- I am always a fan of glitter, so you can add some glitter paint or fine glitter to the snowman face, or you can also add glitter to the pinecone to give it that snowy shimmer.
- Use paint or marker to add a bit of pink or red as blush to the cheeks of the snowman.
- Wrap the hat with a pipe cleaner, ribbon, or yarn, instead of the twine used.
- Use googly eyes on the front instead of drawing on the eyes.
- Replace the pipe cleaner scarf with a length of fabric, felt, ribbon, or yarn that can be braided and tied around the neck.
- Paint the edges of the pinecone with some white paint to create a look of snow. You can also add a bit of sparkling glitter on the edge of the pinecone to create a glow and sparkle in the light.
- Add beads, sequins, or buttons along the front of the pinecone to look more like a traditional snowman.
There are so many ways that you can change things up and decorate this adorable snowman pinecone ornament. Just use your imagination and have fun creating a unique look on your ornament.
- Styrofoam ball
- Green pipe cleaner
- White paint
- Black marker
- Orange marker
- Red paper
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
How to Make a Snowman Pinecone Ornament
On red paper, draw two circles 1" and ¾" wide. Cut these out and set them aside.
On the same paper, measure and cut out a length o paper that is 1 ½" wide and 6" long.
Now, glue this strip of paper around the edge of the smaller of the two circles, creating a cylinder. Cut off any excess paper at the end.
Then, glue the larger circle to the open end of this cylinder. This creates the hat for your snowman.
Next, glue a bit of twine around the top edge and base of the hat, to add a bit of trim.
Glue the styrofoam ball to the flat end of the pinecone.
Use a black marker to create two dots for the eyes and a few dots for a mouth on the styrofoam ball.
Then use an orange marker to create a "carrot" nose.
Glue the hat to the top of the styrofoam ball.
Fold a green pipe cleaner in half, then loop around the "neck" of the snowman and loop through to hold in place. Can add glue if desired.
Cut and tie a loop of twine for hanging and glue it to the back of the pinecone, just below the head.
More Easy Christmas Ornaments
For more inspiration for your holiday decor and tree ornaments, check out some of my favorites below. These lists have tons of great ideas that are sure to please. Make sure that you bookmark these ideas, print out the tutorials, or pin them to Pinterest to make soon!
- 20 Hopelessly Adorable Christmas Ornaments Made From Paper
- 35+ Creative DIY Disney Christmas Ornaments
- 30 Easy DIY Crochet Christmas Ornaments
- 60+ DIY Christmas Ornaments to Hang on Your Tree
- 25 Easy and Festive DIY Christmas Ornaments
Rustic Snowman Pinecone Ornament
Make a rustic snowman pinecone ornament with just a few craft supplies. The perfect rustic addition to your holiday tree!
- On red paper, draw two circles of 1" and ¾" wide.
- Cut these out and set them aside.
- On the same paper, measure and cut out a length o paper that is 1 ½" wide and 6" long.
- Now, glue this strip of paper around the edge of the smaller of the two circles, creating a cylinder. Cut off any excess paper at the end.
- Then, glue the larger circle to the open end of this cylinder. This creates the hat for your snowman.
- Next, glue a bit of twine around the top edge and base of the hat, to add a bit of trim.
- Glue the styrofoam ball to the flat end of the pinecone.
- Use a black marker to create two dots for eyes and a few dots for a mouth on the styrofoam ball.
- Then use an orange marker to create a "carrot" nose.
- Glue the hat to the top of the styrofoam ball.
- Fold a green pipe cleaner in half, then loop around the "neck" of the snowman and loop through to hold in place. Can add glue if desired.
- Cut and tie a loop of twine for hanging and glue it to the back of the pinecone, just below the head.
Replace the pipe cleaner with a strip of cloth or felt for the scarf if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Primitive/country Christmas 5.3 Resin Pine Arm Snowman | Etsy
Glittery Snowman Pinecone Scarf Hat Tree Decor Xmas | Etsy
Pinecone Snowman Family of 4 FREE SHIPPING | Etsy
Pinecone Snowman Ornament | Etsy
1 Winter Miniature Glittering Snowkids Boys and Girls 11 | Etsy
1 Winter Snowman Pinecone With Top Hat FREE SHIPPING | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Add spray glitter to make the pinecone sparkle against the lights on the tree.
Leave a Reply