When you are looking for a simple holiday craft, you are going to love this super easy wine cork wreath ornament. Combining a few corks and some craft foam, you get this adorable wreath that will look perfect hanging from the tree. Use this DIY Christmas wreath on the tree, on gifts, or hanging around the house. It is so easy to make these, that you might decide to make them for everyone you know.
Wine Cork Wreath Ornament
Making ornaments is a fun tradition. You can spend time each night making new ones or you can make a new one each year. Either way, you are going to love making this wine cork wreath ornament. This wreath is simple enough for kids to make but fun enough for the adults too. This is a craft that can be made for your own home or you can make it to give as gifts. Use it as a gift topper or have the kids make them for family and other important people in their lives, like teachers. Whatever you choose, this is a great idea to make using upcycled materials.
If you love the idea of using corks in your holiday decor, make sure you check out this list of DIY wine cork projects, this easy wine cork reindeer, and my favorite, this wine cork snowman ornament. All give you even more great inspiration!
Do I Need to Clean Corks Before Using in Crafts?
While you don't need to clean the corks before using them in crafts, you do want to at least rinse them and then let them dry completely. If you want to clean the corks, you can use soap and water to clean the corks. You can also use a vinegar solution to clean the corks.
Most often they only have a bit of residual wine on the base. The only reason to clean these is going to be to remove any staining from them or to make sure it doesn't mold. Whether you decide to clean the corks or not, make sure they are dry when you start crafting with them. If the corks are not dry, they can start to mold when you craft with them.
What Paint is Best for Using on Corks?
While this project is not painted, it may be easier for you to paint instead of using craft foam. If that is easier for you, then you may want to consider painting them instead. Whenever I am working with rocks, I prefer using craft acrylic paints or even spray paint for a solid coating of color.
Water-based paint will stain the cork rather than cover it with a solid color. And while oils are great, they can be pretty expensive to use on a simple craft like this one.
When choosing between acrylics and spray paints, I decide on which to use depending on what kind of project I am working on. If there are a lot of details or things that have to be precise, I choose to use acrylic with a paintbrush to make those smaller details. If it is just to cover the space, I use spray paint.
How Can I Decorate This Wreath Differently?
There are so many ways to decorate this wine cork wreath ornament. I chose to cover each cork with a bit of green glitter foam paper. You can do different things, including painting it green and then sprinkling on some glitter for sparkle. Below are a few other ideas that will work well on this ornament.
- Add white or silver glitter to create a snow look on the wreath.
- Use a few pieces of the pinecone to create a rustic look on the side of the wreath beside or in place of the holly berries and beads.
- Add bits of pine needles or fake evergreen picks to add more style.
- Cover the corks with green sequins instead of paper or painted glitter.
- Coat the entire cork with paint or scrapbooking paper to cover the natural cork for a solid look.
Can I Make These Bigger or Smaller?
The great thing about this wine cork wreath is that it is easy to make it bigger or smaller. To change the size of the wreath you only need to change the number of corks that you are using. If you want to increase the size, add an equal number of corks. This increases the wreath an equal amount and keeps everything symmetrical.
You can make larger versions of this wreath to hang around the house or smaller versions of this wine cork wreath ornament to add to gifts. It's super versatile and really easy to make and customize for your own holiday decorating style.
- Wine corks
- White cardstock
- Green glitter foam paper
- Red ribbon
- Red beads
- White beads
- Red yarn
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
How to Make Wine Cork Wreath Ornament
Start by deciding how large you want your wreath to be. Then, cut out a circle from white paper. This will be the base for your wreath. Mine is around 4" wide.
Next, cut your corks in half. I used 4 for a total of 8 rounds, but you may need more, depending upon how large your wreath ends up being.
Use one of the cork rounds to trace circles on the back of the glitter foam paper. Cut out a circle for each cork half you need for making your wreath.
Next, line up the corks onto the white circle, sitting them side by side. You'll then glue them together, side by side, and the bottom onto the white circle. Next, glue or peel and stick the green foam paper rounds on the tops of the cork rounds of the wreath.
Cut a small strip of red ribbon and make it into a bow.
Then, glue the little red bow on the top of the wreath.
Next, glue a few red beads or fake berries in clusters of 2 to 3 on a few of the corks to give it a bit more of a natural look.
Lastly, cut a length of yarn or ribbon for hanging the wreath and tie it at the end. Use scissors or a craft knife to create a small hole in the top of the wreath, just above the bow.
Tuck the end of the length of ribbon into the hole on top of the wreath. Add a bit of glue to secure it into place if desired.
More Easy Christmas Ornaments
There are so many unique ways to make ornaments for your tree. From using cork to craft paper to natural elements. Below are some of my favorite ideas for creating your own homemade ornaments. Make sure that you bookmark these ideas, print out the tutorials, or just pin them to your Christmas board on Pinterest to make soon.
- 20 Hopelessly Adorable Christmas Ornaments Made From Paper
- 35+ Creative DIY Disney Christmas Ornaments
- 30 Easy DIY Crochet Christmas Ornaments
- 60+ DIY Christmas Ornaments to Hang on Your Tree
- 25 Easy and Festive DIY Christmas Ornaments
DIY Wine Cork Wreath Ornament
This adorable wine cork wreath ornament is a perfect addition to your holiday tree this year! Super easy to make and practically free!
- Draw a 4" wide circle on white paper then cut it out.
- Cut 4 corks in half to create 8 thick rounds.
- Use one of these, to trace 7 circles on green foam paper.
- Cut out the glitter paper circles.
- Glue these rounds, glitter side up, onto the top of 7 of the cork halves you cut out.
- Now, line these cork halves up around the edge of that circle you cut out earlier, into a wreath shape and glue them together and onto the paper, side to side with the green facing out.
- Trim the white paper around the corks, only on the outside. Leave the center intact.
- Cut a length of red ribbon and create a small bow.
- Glue on the top of the wreath.
- Add a small bead to the center of the bow.
- Now, glue the red beads in clusters on the green pieces of the wreath, to look like berries.
- Finally, cut a length of yarn or twine for hanging, and use scissors to create a hole in the top of the cork wreath to stuff this into and hang your ornament.
Add more glitter, fake snow, or miniature ornaments to the pieces on this wreath if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wine Cork Wreath Ornament | Etsy
Handmade Wine Cork Ornaments Gnome Reindeer Jingle Bell Wreath | Etsy
White Wine Cork Wreath Ornament | Etsy
Wine Cork Wreath Ornament | Etsy
CLEARANCE Wine Cork Wreath Christmas Ornament // Wine Ornament | Etsy
Handmade Wine Cork Wreaths Made From Wine Corks Beads Wire | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Add beads, bows, or glitter to make your wreath more unique!
Leave a Reply