Do you love the cute little snowmen around the holidays and winter season? I love them and this adorable flower pot snowman is a favorite little project for decorating. How cute will this adorable snowman look sitting in your house or on the front porch this holiday season? You are going to love how quickly this winter craft comes together. Make one for yourself and make some as gifts too.
Flower Pot Snowman
Now that the weather is a bit cooler, it's time to bust out the winter crafts. A flower pot snowman is a great craft for kids to make. Of course, it is great for anyone who loves upcycling crafts or snowmen. They are a great project for adding a cute look outside that works for Christmas but also throughout the winter season.
The craft is extremely easy to make and you use the same clay pots from your garden to build your snowman. You just need a few simple supplies, which makes this the perfect last-minute winter craft idea for kids or even for adult groups like book clubs! Flowerpot crafts are always fun to make, and this one is truly a perfect choice for a fun and versatile project.
If you like snowmen, you might also like this cute little painted tin can snowman we made last year! So easy and fun!
What Paint is Best for Clay Pots?
When you are painting the clay pots you want to use a paint that has good sticking power. You can use spray paint or I also recommend using acrylic paint. Both of these paints stick well to the pots and are known to last long. The spray paint can be used for painting the larger areas but when you are doing the details, you will need to use a paintbrush and acrylic paint to do the details.
Of course, if you have leftover paint from house projects you can use that as well. I just recommend a thicker paint rather than a stain or water-based paint. This will stick better and cover the color of the base pot better.
Note: If you can find white flowerpots instead of the red clay style, you can skip the painting portion and just use the pots as they are!
How Can I Customize My Snowman?
Once you have made the base of your snowman, you can change it up any way you like. That's one of the best things about a snowman is that while the base body is white and tiered, everything else can be totally customized to what you want. Below are some fun things to change up and make unique.
- Add a different look to the face on your snowman with different objects used for the eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Give it different colored eyes or even add pink color on the cheeks.
- Use buttons, rhinestones, beads, or just paint on buttons down the front of your snowman.
- Use glitter or glitter spray to make it sparkle more in the sunlight.
- Add a bowtie or hairbow to give your snowman a gender.
- Use a beanie hat, cowboy hat, baseball hat, or even a beret instead of the typical tophat style option on your snowman head.
The best thing about making crafts like this flower pot snowman, once you have the general idea of what you are making, you can let your creativity fly and have fun.
What Works Best for the Snowman's Hat?
You want to use something that resembles the general shape of the hat. A plastic bucket works great because it comes in different sizes and you can usually find something that will fit over the top clay pot. Plastic buckets are also easy to paint in case you can not find one in black.
If you do not have a plastic bucket, you can also recycle plastic food containers. You might need to remove the outside decorations on these containers. You can usually strip it with some rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover.
Of course, an actual hat is always a good idea if you can find one or already have one on hand that would fit. I love beanie-style hats because they fit almost any size flower pot and adjust perfectly without needing to be cut down to size or stretched out too much.
Can I Put This Flower Pot Snowman In My Front Yard?
Yes! One of the best things about this is that it is actually meant to go on your porch or in your front yard. Of course, some of the materials are designed for inside conditions, like the scarf, but that's okay - you can make quick changes to protect those if needed.
If you want to put him outside, you can, with a few changes. You will want to seal the paint if you plan to leave it out in inclement weather. The harsh weather can easily cause the paint to come off. Make sure to use clear coat paint or spray-on sealer. This will help the paint not wear away from the weather.
Also, the scarf on the snowman is not meant to withstand the weather. You will want to use something a bit more weatherproof or be prepared to have to replace the scarf often to keep your terra cotta snowman looking his best.
- Flower pots in 3 tiered sizes
- White paint (if needed)
- Small styrofoam balls
- Black marker or paint pen
- Orange marker or paint pen
- Black bucket
- Holiday greenery or berries
- Wide red ribbon
- Craft knife
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue stick
How to Make a Flower Pot Snowman
If using traditional flower pots that should be painted - paint them and set them aside to dry for 1 hour.
Taking the smallest of the three flower pots, flip it upside down so the bottom faces up, then draw a nose onto the middle using an orange marker. Shape this like a carrot.
Using a black permanent marker, draw two circles for eyes above the nose.
Then draw on a mouth using the black marker, just below the nose.
Use the marker to then outline the nose to make it stand out a bit more and even add a few lines to give the "carrot" texture.
Cut two small styrofoam balls in half using a craft knife.
Use the black marker to color the top rounded half of the cut styrofoam balls and then set them aside.
Wrap red ribbon around the bottom (open end) of the bucket and secure with glue to create a hat "brim" look.
Glue a small piece of greenery and berries onto the hat over the ribbon.
Assemble the snowman with the largest flower pot on the bottom, then the medium, then the smallest with the face on top. You can secure these with glue if desired.
Place the hat on top of the snowman at an angle and secure it with glue if needed.
Wrap the scarf around the base of the top flower pot and tie it to secure.
Glue the "buttons" made from the styrofoam balls along the middle of the snowman.
Now you can display this in your front yard or on your porch!
More Snowman Decor Ideas
I adore the snowman as a winter decoration idea. Whether you add this to your holiday decor or just use it throughout the winter months, below are some of my personal favorite ideas. Make sure to bookmark these, print the tutorials, or pin them to your favorite Pinterest board to make soon!
- 35+ Snowman Crafts Perfect for Winter
- Adorable Rope Snowman Christmas Decoration
- Cute Craft Stick Snowman Photo Ornament
- How to Make a Snowman Out of a Bottle
- Cute Upcycled Lightbulb Snowman Ornament
- If using traditional flower pots that should be painted - paint them and set them aside to dry for 1 hour.
- Taking the smallest of the three flower pots, flip it upside down so the bottom faces up, then draw a nose onto the middle using an orange marker. Shape this like a carrot.
- Using a black permanent marker, draw two circles for eyes above the nose.
- Then draw on a mouth using the black marker, just below the nose.
- Use the marker to then outline the nose to make it stand out a bit more and even add a few lines to give the "carrot" texture.
- Cut two small styrofoam balls in half using a craft knife.
- Use the black marker to color the top rounded half of the cut styrofoam balls and then set them aside.
- Wrap red ribbon around the bottom (open end) of the bucket and secure with glue to create a hat "brim" look.
- Glue a small piece of greenery and berries onto the hat over the ribbon.
- Assemble the snowman with the largest flower pot on the bottom, then the medium, then the smallest with the face on top. You can secure these with glue if desired.
- Place the hat on top of the snowman at an angle and secure it with glue if needed.
- Wrap the scarf around the base of the top flower pot and tie it to secure.
- Glue the "buttons" made from the styrofoam balls along the middle of the snowman.
- Now you can display this in your front yard or on your porch!
You can use any bucket or flower pot in tiered sizes to create this snowman.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Snowman Christmas Decor Snowman Figurine Clay Pot Snowman | Etsy
Snowman Gift Candy Christmas Decoration Friend Gift | Etsy
Snowman Ornament Flower Pot Ornament Snowman Flower Pot | Etsy
Christmas Ornament Flower Pot Snowman Head With Knit Cap | Etsy
Snowman and Gingerbread Flower Pot Candleholders Hand Painted | Etsy
Little Snowman Pothead | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Add your own unique style with unique hats, scarves, and more on your snowman.
You can even paint the Styrofoam pieces different colors to make a colorful button on the front of the snowman.