There is something absolutely stunning about a fall wedding. This beautiful fall leaf boutonniere is the perfect DIY wedding accessory to go on bridegroom collars. A boutonniere is typical for a wedding, but can also be seen for different prom and school dances. This one uses just a few cute little fake leaves, some glitter, and imagination. The best part? It's ready in 5 minutes or less!
Fall Leaf Boutonniere Wedding Accessory
I love the idea of having a wedding where all of the decorations and accessories are hand made. There is something special about knowing your hands and hard work are involved in every aspect. With a budget in place, a wedding with DIY accessories is a must. This little fall leaf boutonniere is such a cute idea!
While not intended to be a kids craft, this works wonderfully as a kids project to help create. Since it doesn't have to be a boutonniere, it's okay to use this project for kids to create something unique instead. Just get creative and have fun!
Can I Use This For Something Other Than a Wedding?
It definitely can be used for a number of other ideas. Weddings aren't the only ways to use a boutonniere, and this doesn't have to be a boutonniere. It can be the base for a number of different projects. It's all about upcycling some fall leaves, a bit of glitter, and maybe twine or ribbon. Turn those into something beautiful, and you will be pleased no matter what the intended purpose of the project! Below are a few other ideas that work with this craft.
- Use the boutonniere for a school dance, prom, or homecoming event.
- Attach these to a fall wreath.
- Glue to a plain napkin ring for a Thanksgiving table decoration.
- Add a magnet to the back and put on refrigerators or filing cabinets.
- Glue to a dowel or skewer and stick into a fall arrangement or bouquet.
- Attach to potted plants to create a decorative fall porch decoration.
What Ways Can This Be Personalized?
If you are using this for a wedding, there are a few great ways to personalize this to make it just a bit more unique. I love that projects like this one are basic in nature so you can so readily change little things to create a whole new look that suits your style.
- Match the ribbons around the base to your wedding colors.
- Add a monogram letter to the leaf for the individual or the wedding couple.
- Attach ribbons to flow off the bottom.
- Instead of a button on the front, use a small plastic embellishment in a motif, letter, or animal that is meaningful to the wedding couple.
- Add lace around the edges behind the leaves.
- Use burlap behind the leaves or around the base of the boutonniere.
How do You Secure a Boutonniere?
Most commonly, you will use a safety pin or a straight pin to secure it to the label or collar. Depending upon the person or what is handy, I find that a safety pin is the best option. You can hot glue it to the back of the boutonniere or you can actually pin it through the ribbon to secure.
Other options include things like using a tie clip, magnets, brooch backing, or even an earring stud and backing. I like to use what I already have on hand to make sure mine stay in place, but you can use whatever is handy. I've even seen them with a button attached to the back so they fit right into a buttonhole on the jacket or lapel!
- Artificial leaves
- Brown ribbon
- Orange ribbon
- Miniature flowers
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue stick or hot glue rope
How to Make a Fall Leaf Boutonniere
Remove at least 3-4 leaves per boutonniere from their stems and set aside.
Choose 3-4 leaves and the smallest of them, add hot glue all around the edges.
Sprinkle glitter around the outside of the edges of the leaf coating the glue with glitter.
Shake off any extra glitter and allow the leaf to dry.
Stack the leaves together with the largest in the back and the others slightly off center to create a fanned look.
On top of the leaves, add a small sprig of artificial flowers.
Add a touch of hot glue at the base of the leaves, then begin wrapping twine around the stems.
Continue wrapping until covered and secure the bottom with hot glue.
Tie a small bow and glue to the top of the stem. Add a button to the center of the bow.
Secure to a lapel or collar with your choice of straight pin or safety pin.
More Fall Crafts and Wedding Ideas
Whether you are looking for a few more fall-themed projects or something to add to a fall wedding, I have tons to share. Below are a few of my favorite fall projects that everyone will enjoy making.
- 25 Top DIY's and Hacks For the Perfect Outdoor Wedding
- 15 DIY Wedding Bouquets That Are as Unique as The Bride That Carries Them
- 25 DIY Wedding Photo Display Ideas to Showcase on Your Special Day
- Rustic Old Book Page Paper Pumpkin Decoration
- 35 Unique Wedding Party Gifts That Your Bridesmaids and Groomsmen Will Love
- 40 Frugal DIY Wedding Favors Your Guests Will Love
- Rustic Upcycled Cardboard Fall Leaf Placemat
- 35 Breathtaking DIY Rustic Wedding Decorations For the Wedding of Your Dreams
- Rustic DIY Grapevine Wreath with Fabric Flowers
Pick up large batches of artificial flowers and leaves on Dollar Tree online to save time and money when making multiples of this project. You can also find ribbon, twine, buttons, and safety pins on the website to save money on your wedding decor plans.
Active Time 5 minutesTotal Time 5 minutesDifficulty EasyEstimated Cost $1
- Choose 5 leaves per boutonniere with at least one smaller than the rest;
- On the smallest leaf, add glue around the edges;
- Sprinkle glitter onto the glue and shake off any excess;
- Stack the leaves together with the largest in the back and smallest at the front;
- Add a miniature flower on top of the leaves;
- Use glue to the base of the leaf and flowers then add the end of the twine to the glue then wrap around the stems of the leaves until all covered and secured with glue at the end;
- Make a small ribbon bow and glue at the top of the stem;
- Glue a button in the center of the bow;
- Add a pin to the back and secure to a lapel or collar for your wedding.
Add more glitter or different colors of ribbon as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Fall leaf boutonniere fall boutonniere faux boutonniere | Etsy
- Fall Wedding Boutonniere Maple & Twigs | Etsy
- Fall Boutonniere Dried Flower Boutonniere Lapel Pin October | Etsy
- Orange corsage and boutonniere set wedding boutonniere | Etsy
- Sola flower Wedding boutonni�res corsage | Etsy
- Burnt Orange Wheat Boutonniere Rustic Country Ivory Pheasant | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
The little accents on this are what make it stand out. Small flower buds and a button tie the look together for a wedding.
I love how these can also double as a fall-themed wedding decoration. They aren't only a boutonniere but also a fall decor idea that adds beauty to many things.
Add your own monogram, different ribbons, or even different shades of leaves to make your boutonnieres more unique.