These paper flowers are a perfect addition to tons of things in your life and home. Using just basic colored paper, some glue, and scissors, you can create beautiful fake flowers that are so simple your kids can make them. Since I love the look of flowers, and even more brightly colored ones, this craft is one of my favorites!
DIY Paper Flowers
I'm a sucker for paper crafting of all kinds. You've already seen my flowers from old book pages, decorative paper flower balls, tissue paper flowers, and more. If you haven't figured it out yet, flowers are kind of a big deal for me. The beautiful petals of a real flower opening up in the springtime are one of my favorite things in the world. When they aren't in season, I satisfy my need for that beauty with a few of these great homemade flowers.
Another reason why I love making these simple paper flowers is that they are so fast to make. I can whip up a flower in just 2-3 minutes. That means if I want to add a personalized flower to any decoration in my home, it only takes a short amount of time to finish.
What Is The Best Paper For Making Flowers?
The joy of making these paper flowers is that you can use truly any type of paper! I like keeping a nice stack of colored craft paper on hand. Depending on how you are using these flowers, you can use construction paper, copy paper, or colored paper. I usually have some of each on hand, so grab whatever I feel like using. I've even been known to take white copy paper and use markers or crayons to color them for an even more rustic look.
If I want a thicker paper, I like the Tru-Ray Heavyweight Construction Paper. When I just want a simple but brightly colored option, I go for the Astrobrights Neon Paper. It's a great choice for flowers since it comes in so many bright colors you would see naturally on a plant.
What Can I Use These Paper Flowers For?
I've added them to the top of a gift, in a vase as a faux arrangement, or on top of a Valentine's Day heart as a fun way to dress up your box of candy. These are super easy to make and cute enough you feel good about adding to your decor. Below are some more ideas you might use these for in the future.
- Attach to a piece of elastic for a fake flower corsage.
- Place inside a glass terrarium with other fake greenery for an indoor garden.
- Glue onto a basic wreath frame to create a beautiful fake flower wreath for your front door.
- Spray with sealant and attach it to a barrette to wear in your hair.
- Colored paper
- Craft glue
How to Make Paper Flowers
Begin by cutting a 1- 1 ½" strip of paper (vertically)
Now, you will fold this paper in half, and then begin cutting halfway through the paper on the folded side to create a fringe effect.
Now, you will cut a slightly larger piece of paper (2"-3") and follow the same process of folding and cutting.
Using the smaller paper first, add a bit of glue along the uncut edge of the paper.
Begin tightly rolling it from one end to the other.
Once that has been rolled completely and secured with glue, you will add the second strip of cut paper that is wider and continue rolling it until the end.
Secure with glue, and continue adding until the flower is the size you prefer.
Display on boxes, add to jars or make into a wreath as desired.
Printable Step by Step Photo Tutorial:
- Colored Paper
- Craft Glue
- Begin by cutting a vertical strip of colored paper 1-1 ½" wide;
- Fold this paper in half vertically, and begin cutting slits on the folded side, do not cut all the way through, but halfway through paper;
- Once you have cut slits throughout the paper, you will add a bit of glue on the solid side, and begin tightly rolling it from one end to the other;
- Once that has been rolled together, you will cut an additional strip of paper 2"-3" wide and follow the same process, attaching to the smaller "flower" with glue;
- Continue this process until you are satisfied with the size of the flower;
- Display or use as desired.
Make these in various sizes, then attach with floral tape to the bottom and slide into a vase for a beautiful paper bouquet!