Do you love paper lanterns as much as I do? They are so much fun to hang on the porch or deck for a party. This tutorial shows you how to make a ghost face on a paper lantern. What a fun idea for adding light to your Halloween party!
Want some scarier for your party? Check out my haunted house prop ideas that give that extra spooky feeling so much love!
Ghostly Paper Lantern Halloween Decoration
Paper lanterns are one of my favorite party decorations. They are super inexpensive, come in dozens of colors, and so easy to hang or sit on surfaces around the room.
If you want something that is fast and super cheap to make for your Halloween party or haunted house - these ghost paper lanterns are going to be a hit!
Where Can I Buy Paper Lanterns?
These are such a popular item to use for parties and events that you can find them almost anywhere. In my area, they are easy to find at party supply stores, Asian markets (usually more colorful or printed ones), and even at the dollar store. Check at your local department or discount stores in the party supply area to find them.
If you can't find them locally, you may find them online at the Oriental trading party supplies lantern page, or even on Amazon in their party supplies section. Remember that if you are ordering them online, you will likely have to order a bulk package or pay more per lantern than you would in a local store.
Can I Use a Real Candle in These Lanterns?
Traditionally, an actual candle or wick would be inside a paper lantern. You would light that and watch the lantern float up into the air. For this purpose, you want the paper lantern ghosts to stay in your home or yard, so it is best to use a battery-operated candle instead.
You also don't want to take any chances of the paper catching on fire and creating a fire hazard in or around your home. Practice safety first with this craft.
Supplies for Making Ghost Lanterns
- White round paper lanterns
- Black permanent marker
- Battery operated tealight candle (1 per lantern made)
How to Make Ghost Face Paper Lanterns
To make a ghost face on a paper lantern, you will need to carefully open the lantern first.
Using your marker, gently draw the outline of the ghost face on the outside of the paper lanterns. You may want to hang the lantern above your work surface so it is easier to use both hands for steadying it as you draw
Very gently fill in the face with marker or paint. I think a light paint might be easier for filling in the face to prevent holes, but I have only used marker at this point
Once your face is done and has dried completely, you will attach a string to hang from the ceiling and place your tealight candle inside to create a soft glow
Have fun making different faces on your paper lanterns. Some should be scary. Other faces could be goofy, happy, or even sad with tears drawn on the side.
Step by Step Photo Tutorial:
- White round paper lantern(s)
- Black permanent marker
- Twine or string (for hanging lanterns)
- Battery operated tealight candle
- Scissors (for twine or string)
- Grab your supplies and lay on the work surface;
- Open the paper lantern completely;
- Gently use your marker to outline a face on the lantern. Go slowly so you don't poke holes through the thin paper;
- Once you have an outline in place, fill in with marker or paint. Again, be gentle so you don't poke holes through the paper lanterns;
- After the marker or paint has dried, you will add a string or twine to the top if you want to hang the paper lanterns;
- Place a battery-operated tealight candle inside the ghost, and display around your home;