I really love rope projects! Rope is such an easy material to work with, and rope crafts give you beautiful nautical themed items that you can use to decorate your home and garden. So, I recently saw this adorable tassel adorned rope basket made by Aniko, and I knew that I had to give it a try.
What Can DIY Rope Baskets Be Used For?
You can use these DIY rope baskets for just about anything! I made mine to use as a planter for a houseplant, but you could also use them to organize your makeup, to keep pencils tidy on your desk, as a catchall bowl on your entry table, or anything else that you can imagine.
What Type Of Rope Do You Need For A DIY Rope Basket?
I used a pretty thick rope from my local home improvement store for this rope, but you can also find it online. Just keep in mind that this is actual rope and not twine.
Twine won’t cover the jar as well, and it definitely will not give you that great bohemian look that these little baskets have.
What Else Do You Need To Make A DIY Basket From Rope?
You will need an empty jar in whatever size you want to make your basket. The jar serves as the mold of sorts for the rope basket. You also need aluminum foil, which is placed over the jar, which makes it easier to pull the jar from your rope basket when you get it finished.
If you are planning to use the rope basket as a vase, then I recommend that you leave your jar inside to hold your water and flowers.
How To Make Rope Baskets For Decorative Storage
Learn how to make these adorable tassel adorned rope baskets. This video tutorial shows you how to create your own rope baskets for storage or decor.
- Empty Jar
- Aluminum Foil
- Yarn – For making decorative tassels
- Hot Glue Gun
- First, you will need to choose the jar that you are going to use to size your DIY rope basket. You can use any empty jar. Keep in mind that your basket will be just a bit larger than the jar, because you are working from the outside of the jar.
- Once you have chosen your jar, you need to cut a piece of aluminum foil that is large enough to cover your jar. If you are using a really large jar, you can piece together your aluminum foil.
- Press the foil around the jar to hold it into place while you are working.
- Turn the jar upside down and add a bit of hot glue to the center of the bottom. You will start wrapping your rope at this point.
- Continue wrapping the rope around the jar and gluing it down at the same time. Keep in mind that you want to glue the rope to itself and not to the aluminum foil that is covering your jar.
- Once you have the size of the rope basket that you want, you can stop wrapping and cut the rope off. Glue down the end of the rope to hold it in place.
- Carefully remove the jar and aluminum foil from the inside of your new rope basket.
- Glue on some DIY yarn tassels to the outside of your jar for decoration. You can skip this part, but honestly, it's such a lovely addition, and it gives it a charming rustic look.
- To make your tassels, wrap some yarn around two or three of your fingers.
- Once you have about 20 wraps, you can tie off one small section and then cut the bottom of the remaining yarn to create the tassel look.
- Then, just glue your tassels onto your rope basket.
- When you are finished, your new rope basket should look a little something like this one:
What Else Can You Make From Rope?
Oh goodness; there are so many wonderful DIY rope projects. Whether you want a nice boho look, or you're going for the nautical theme in your home, I've shown you some really great (not to mention easy) rope crafts, like these Pottery Barn inspired placemats, how to make an ottoman out of rope, and these 21 rope projects that are all super easy weekend crafts.
Pin this project:
What’s Your Favorite DIY Rope Craft?
Why is the aluminum foil necessary? If you're only gluing the rope to itself, and you aren't gluing the rope to the foil, why can't you just omit the foil and wrap the rope directly around the jar? What actual, practical purpose does the foil serve?