I love simple recipes; recipes that I can make during the week when it’s so busy that I barely have time to cook. This simple chicken enchilada casserole recipe is one of those. This casserole only takes about an hour from start to finish, and it is indeed a crowd-pleaser. My family loved it – and I have a lot of picky eaters in my house!
What Do You Need To Make Enchilada Casserole?
Your ingredient list for this yummy casserole includes:
- Enchilada Sauce
Can I Substitute Ingredients In This Recipe For Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
- You can. Some of my favorite enchilada substitutions are:
- Zucchini Tortillas – Use homemade zucchini tortillas instead of flour tortillas to save fat and calories
- Taco Sauce – If you don’t have enchilada sauce, you can substitute taco sauce instead
- Beef – If you prefer, you can use ground beef or shredded beef in place of the chicken
- Toppings – Use your favorite toppings, like homemade guacamole or sour cream
How Long Does Chicken Enchilada Casserole Last?
In my house, this chicken enchilada casserole didn’t even make it to the next day. However, if you do have some left over, you can store this in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to six months.
Be sure to cover the casserole tightly so that you keep out those other fridge and freezer smells. This is actually one of my favorite freezer casserole recipes because it holds up so well in the freezer.
How Do You Reheat Enchilada Casserole?
This chicken enchilada casserole recipe is simple to make for those busy weeknights, but if you wanted to make it ahead and freeze it, that would work, too. To reheat, take it out of the fridge or freezer and allow it to warm up a bit to room temperature.
Then, just stick it in the oven and follow the recipe instructions for baking. If you have already baked it, just put a serving or two in the microwave to reheat.
What Side Dishes Go With The Best Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe?
You really don’t need anything to go along with this enchilada casserole to make it into a meal. It has just about anything that you would want, but if you want to add some sides, you certainly could.
I would go with an easy to prepare salad of some sort or maybe serve up some black bean flautas as an appetizer while you’re waiting on the casserole to cook.
Printable Recipe Card
- 1 ½ cups of minced chicken, cooked
- 2 cups of mixed cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp. of pickled chili, chopped
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro, cooked
- 1 can of beans
- 6 flour tortillas
- 14 oz. (400 g) of enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Combine minced chicken with chili peppers and cilantro.
- Spread some of the sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Cut tortillas in half and layer a few of them to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken mixture on top, top with beans and sprinkle some cheese over. Repeat all the layers one more time, then cover casserole with leftover tortilla pieces, add sauce and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Serve topped with fresh cilantro and (optionally) sliced avocado.
Serving Size:7 oz. (200 g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 64mg Sodium: 1164mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Protein: 23g