I have to admit, I’m a sucker for a good appetizer. Even if I’m not serving them before dinner, appetizers are the perfect anytime snack and I’ll even enjoy them for lunch on occasion. You can imagine how happy I was to find this delicious ham and cheese puffs recipe – it truly is a snack made in Heaven.
Not only is it fast and easy to prepare, it’s filled with delicious ingredients that make it the perfect appetizer or lunch choice.
First of all, aside from the ham and cheese, this flavor filled pastry has spinach. I’m just going to tell you that I love just about anything that has spinach in it. Have you tried my spinach and bacon frittata? It’s quickly become my family’s favorite breakfast food.
So, these ham and cheese puffs have spinach and a ton of other tasty ingredients with nutmeg, parmesan, and grainy mustard, they’re a great appetizer for any meal and they’re really great as a snack or quick lunch.
It will only take you about half an hour to make these and keep in mind that there’s dough baking in that time. You’re getting freshly baked pastry filled with delicious ham and cheese. What more could you ask for in a snack? These may even beat Hot Pockets in your house – they have in mine.
My kids love these and actually beg me to make them, even with the spinach in them! If you have trouble getting your little ones to eat spinach, you really need to give these a try. You could reward them for eating their spinach with a piece of this amazing blueberry pie.
I know you’re going to love this recipe. It’s quick and easy and gives you an appetizer that is simply filled with deliciousness. You get four appetizers out of one recipe so there’s enough to go around for everyone.
Or, just make it and keep it as a quick lunch – you can freeze it after it’s made to make a fast and easy lunch or snack.
Ham and Cheese Puffs Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 5 oz (150 g)
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 cups of milk
¼ tsp. of ground nutmeg
1 tbsp. of vegetable oil
1 tbsp. of butter
1 ½ tbsps. of flour
½ cup of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
½ cup of ham, cut into cubes
1 cup of parmesan cheese, shredded
1 tbsp. of grainy mustard
Fresh parsley for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
2. Start with spinach béchamel. Heat oil and butter in a pan and add flour. Stir to incorporate, then start slowly pouring milk while whisking vigorously. Add a pinch of salt and nutmeg. Cook for 5-7 minutes and mix with 2/3 cup of cheese and drained spinach.
3. Roll puff pastry sheet about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick. Cut into four rectangles.
4. Place about 1 ½-2 tbsp. of spinach béchamel into the center of each pastry sheet. Sprinkle with leftover cheese and some cubed ham.
5. Pinch each corner to form a little border, brush with egg.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until brown and crispy. Serve with fresh parsley.
Puff pastry, spinach and other ingredients give these puffs wonderful flavor.
Cook spinach with milk and other ingredients to make a creamy base.
Layer ham, cheese, and spinach mixture onto puff pastry.
Fold up edges to hold in flavorful ingredients.
Baked to golden perfection and enjoy.
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups of milk
- ¼ tsp. of ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- 1 ½ tbsps. of flour
- ½ cup of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- ½ cup of ham, cut into cubes
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp. of grainy mustard
- 1 egg
- Fresh parsley for decoration
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Start with spinach béchamel. Heat oil and butter in a pan and add flour. Stir to incorporate, then start slowly pouring milk while whisking vigorously. Add a pinch of salt and nutmeg. Cook for 5-7 minutes and mix with 2/3 cup of cheese and drained spinach.
- Roll puff pastry sheet about 3 mm (1/8-inch) thick. Cut into four rectangles.
- Place about 1 ½-2 tbsp. of spinach béchamel into the center of each pastry sheet. Sprinkle with leftover cheese and some cubed ham.
- Pinch each corner to form a little border, brush with egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until brown and crispy. Serve with fresh parsley.
Serving Size:5 oz
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 259 Total Fat: 17.2g Saturated Fat: 6.5g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 465mg Carbohydrates: 14.8g Fiber: 0.7g Sugar: 5.8g Protein: 11.7g