Macaroni and cheese is such a popular side dish – any macaroni and cheese, really. My kids would eat it every night if they could. If you’ve never made homemade macaroni and cheese you are seriously missing out on a delicious dish.
That being said, this particular macaroni and cheese recipe is likely not like anything you’ve ever made before.
While it still contains macaroni and you make a homemade cheese sauce, this dish is baked to perfection and topped with a tasty breadcrumb topping that is going to make it your go-to dish for all family reunions and other get-togethers.
With sour cream, Dijon mustard, and grated Parmesan, I promise this isn’t your grandmother’s mac and cheese, and your kids are going to love it. It’s a great dish to side with seasoned baked chicken and potatoes.
It takes about an hour to make this including prep time, but your family will seriously thank you for it. In addition to sharp cheddar, this recipe also calls for provolone cheese, which gives it such a wonderful flavor!
It’s really easy, even if you’ve never made your own mac and cheese, and I promise you that you’re going to be so glad you made it. Oh and if you’re looking for a great dessert to follow it, this lemon glazed zucchini bread is perfect.
Whether you are looking for a dish to bring along to your next potluck or you need a weeknight side dish that you know your kids will eat, this macaroni and cheese is perfect. It truly is a million dollar recipe and I can’t wait for you to try it!
Sharp cheese combined with parmesan and provolone give this mac and cheese great flavor
Melt sharp cheese with other ingredients to create cheese sauce
Mix macaroni with sauce for a creamy delight
Layer provolone over mac and cheese before baking
Top with breadcrumb mixture
Crispy breadcrumbs, cheese, and macaroni – you just can’t go wrong with this dish
- 1 pound dried pasta
- 4 tbsps. butter
- 2 tbsps. flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup full fat cream
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 3 cups grated sharp cheese
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Melt butter and combine it with flour. Cook, stirring for one minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Add mustard, garlic and parsley, leave to simmer over low heat until thickened and season with salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and whisk in sharp cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta and mix together.
- Transfer half of the mac and cheese into baking pan or cast iron skillet. Layer provolone cheese followed by an even layer of sour cream.
- Pour remaining pasta over, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grated parmesan.
- Bake at 180 C (350 F) for 25-30 minutes.
Serving Size:10 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1254Total Fat: 78.6gSaturated Fat: 40.1gCholesterol: 258mgSodium: 2208mgCarbohydrates: 86.5gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 51.8g