As much as I love decorating for Halloween, the real appeal is the candy! There is something wonderful about a holiday that is dedicated to giving out candy! That’s why I fell in love with this idea for a cute upcycled flower pot Halloween character to use as a candy “jar”. This can, of course, be used as simple decor, but I love the idea of filling it with treats and gifting to others. Such a fun and easy idea for adding a little cuteness to a spooky holiday!
Upcycled Flower Pot Halloween Characters
If you’ve noticed, I have a thing for flower pot crafts. They are so easy to make, look cute, and well, honestly I love that they are cheap and sturdy. As a base for a craft, you can’t find a better choice. So, trying to figure out what to do for Halloween, I knew I wanted to turn some into common characters. Bats and Frankenstein included spooky and yet friendly into my project. These are easy to make, can be customized if you prefer, and the best part to me is that you can make them big or small.
What Can I Use These For?
This simple project is ideal for decoration on a counter, shelf, or mantle. Of course, as you see, I used it to add a cute little dessert treat. If you’ve never had “dirt dessert”, then you are in for a treat. In this, I added some crumbled cookie bits and candy, but there are tons of ideas out there that use the same idea.
This is a dino dessert cup that has layers of chocolate pudding topped with chocolate rocks and dino candy. Some are topped with things similar to this garden bark or even layered like this shark week pudding cup. The idea is to add a dessert into the flower pot that includes a pudding or cream layer with cookie crumbles on top to resemble dirt. It looks like you are eating a bowl of dirt, but in reality, it’s just a tasty dessert trifle!
While that is my favorite way to use these pots, below are a few more cute ideas that work for this project.
- Fill with individually wrapped candies, wrap in cellophane with a bow and give as a “gift basket” to friends or trick or treaters.
- Add a candle to the inside and use it as a lantern at night.
- Line up on a mantle or shelf and create a Halloween character display.
- Use as part of a Halloween table centerpiece with black and orange flowers, pumpkins, and similar decor items.
Can I Use Plastic Flower Pots?
You can easily make this using a plastic flower pot. I would recommend scuffing up the sides of the flower pot before painting. Use fine-grit sandpaper to create small scratches that are not noticeable. This will create a surface that the paint can stick to. Besides that, all of the steps to make this flower pot craft are the same.
You can also find some flower pots may already be black or green, so you only have to add the added face, eyes, etc. to the fronts. This makes it an easy project to do with younger kids since you don’t have to worry about the time spent letting the paint dry.
Can I Make These Halloween Characters with Larger Flower Pots?
You can definitely make these in any size you want. I like the idea of small characters as they don’t take much time to make, but if you want, big ones are great. Imagine turning the large 12″ flower pots into these characters and lining your porch with them. Fill them with dirt and orange, red, or green plants and flowers. What a fun way to decorate your porch or walkway for Halloween!
- Flower pots
- Black glitter foam paper
- Googly eyes
- Green craft paint
- Black craft paint
- White paint pen
- Black paint pen
- Craft glue
How to Make an Upcycled Flower Pot Halloween Character
Paint one flower pot black on the bottom and all sides and the second flower pot all green on the bottom and sides, then set aside to dry.
When the pots have dried, begin decorating them.
Draw a batwing shape onto the back of black foam paper.
Cut out the wings.
Add glue onto the center front of the wings and press the black flower pot onto it so the wings are on the back of the pot.
Glue googly eyes onto the top half of the flower pot.
Use a white paint pen to draw a mouth onto the bat below the eyes. A simple smile with two triangle teeth looks good.
Cut a 1″ strip of foam paper the length of the paper. Cut notches into one side of the foam paper making a jagged edge with points.
Remove the backing and stick the jagged foam paper around the top of the green flower pot so the edges point downward creating a hairline.
Glue the googly eyes just below the hair.
Use a black paint pen to draw a jagged mouth and stitches onto the Frankenstein’s face.
Fill with candy, pudding, or flowers and display as desired.
More Fun Halloween Crafts
Halloween has never been more fun! There are tons of great ideas to decorate your home with or just to have fun creating with the kids. I love the fun and silly crafts the best, but there are a few spooky ideas on the list too. You’ll find a variety of projects to add fun to your Halloween on the list below.
- Popsicle Stick Spider Web Halloween Decoration
- Cute Clothespin Monster Kids Craft for Halloween
- Upcycled Spoon Bat Cute Halloween Decoration
- Funny Upcycled Old Book Monster Kids Craft
- DIY Old Book Floating Witch with Broom Halloween Decoration
- Decorative DIY Scarecrow Clay Pot Lantern
- 30 Monster Doors or Monster Wreaths to Greet Trick-or-Treaters This Halloween
- How to Make a Wine Glass Pumpkin Art Decoration
If you prefer not to freehand the bat wings, you can grab an SVG bat wing file on Etsy and print them using your Cricut. You can also use this for the jpg and png versions to print off on your regular printer and cut around the lines.
- Paint one flower pot black and another flower pot green on all sides and the bottom then set aside to dry;
- For the bat, trace bat wings onto the back of black glitter foam paper;
- Cut out the wings and glue them to the flower pot so the glitter side is facing the pot;
- Glue googly eyes just below the rim of the pot;
- Use a white paint pen to draw a smile and two triangle teeth on the bottom;
- For the Frankenstein, cut a strip of black glitter paper the length of the paper;
- Cut notches into that strip so one side is flat and the other jagged;
- Remove the backing and place the strip around the top of the flower pot so the jagged edge is facing downward;
- Glue googly eyes just below the rim of the pot;
- Use a black paint pen to draw a jagged mouth and stitches onto the face.
- Fill with candy and display!
Use the same process to create pumpkins, ghosts, witches, or spiders with flower pots.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Orange and Black Glitter Planter Autumn Themed Flower Pot | Etsy
Baby Yoda Pumpkin Halloween Flower Pot | Etsy
Black Cat Painted Planter Autumn Themed Flower Pot Fall | Etsy
Hippie Hills hand painted clay flower succulent air and | Etsy
Pumpkin Jack-O-Lantern Painted Planter Autumn Themed Flower | Etsy
Little monsters Halloween inspired hand painted clay flower | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Fill your flower pots with candy, dirt dessert, or toys and add to place settings at a Halloween dinner party!
Customize the faces with glitter, added character, or even add a hat to the top if you want!
If using plastic flower pots, give kids tons of added options for customizing theirs.
These can also be used to create a cute centerpiece and filled with flowers instead!