My kids absolutely love Hot Pockets. Seriously, they would eat them every day, which is fine but those things can get really expensive. You can imagine how happy I was to come across this recipe for ham and cheese pockets, which is basically Hot Pockets, but they’re homemade. Any time I can give my family homemade makes me happy and I really do love these little pockets.
So, these little pockets are great for an after school snack or even a quick lunch. They would even be a great addition to your “appetizer night.” You have that right? Where you serve appetizers for dinner? My family does this about every other week and we always choose a great movie to go along with our appetizers. I’ve made these crunchy parmesan garlic baked potatoes for appetizer night and now we’ve added ham and cheese pockets.
So, if your kids love Hot Pockets but you want to make sure that what they are eating is actually freshly prepared and good for them, these ham and cheese pockets are perfect. It takes just over an hour to make them from start to finish and they bake up so golden brown and delicious!
Seriously, I may never buy Hot Pockets in the store again.
You make dough completely from scratch for a fresh and delicious taste.
Let dough rise until it’s doubled in size.
Each dough roll gets filled with ham and cheese mixture.
Crimp edges of pockets with a fork before baking.
Bake until golden brown.
Delicious ham and cheese in every bite.
Serves 4 oz (115 g)
20 minPrep Time
1 hr, 35 Cook Time
1 hr, 55 Total Time
- 1 ½ tsps. of dry yeast
- 2 cups of flour
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of diced ham
- 2 cups of sharp cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup of green onions, sliced
- To make the dough, combine yeast, flour and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Pour in lukewarm milk and mix by hand for 7-10 minutes or until dough is soft and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm environment for about an hour or until double in size.
- Mix ham, cheese and onions. Punch the dough down and divide into 6 equal pieces. Roll each one into a disk and put ham and cheese mixture on top. Fold one of the sides over the filling and crimp the edges with a fork. Use a bit of water to stick edges together if necessary.
- Brush each pocket with beaten egg and bake at 400 F (200 C) for 20 minutes. Rotate baking sheet once in the middle of cooking.