As soon as that first cool breeze hits, I am ready to dig out the craft supplies to make fun harvest craft ideas. This DIY glitter acorns craft is such a fun way to incorporate natural elements into my table centerpiece. A few minutes outside gathering acorns from the yard, and some glitter and I have created a fun addition to any harvest of fall craft.
For some more natural elements in your decor, check out my list of pinecone crafts for fall and winter. Using natural elements is so much fun!
Glitter Acorns Harvest Craft
You already know that I adore the fall and harvest season. Cooler weather, fun holidays, and tons of ways to decorate and create abound. There is nothing like feeling the weather change to get my creative juices flowing.
I have seen these glitter acorns in potpourri mixes and glued to various fall or harvest wreaths, but they are so expensive in the store. There was no way I was going to pay for these when I knew I could do it myself!
A trip outside and I came in with a bag full of acorns out of the yard. All I had to do was find some glitter in my craft stash and get started. I'm in love with the result and excited to display them this year on our Thanksgiving dinner table.
How Should I Display Glitter Acorns?
As you can see, I dropped these into a basket with some straw and a few acorns that aren't painted. It really adds a bit of nature to the table and looks beautiful when the light catches the acorns. That alone is a perfect way to display your new harvest craft idea.
I also love seeing these added to a mix of fruit in a cornucopia on the Thanksgiving table. What a beautiful display that would make.
Another option that is fun is adding these to a fall or harvest wreath you've made. Simply hot glue them in place to add a bit of sparkle to your decor. This list of fall wreaths is a great place to find inspiration for adding these.
What is the Best Paint for Glitter Harvest Craft Acorns?
I have tried a variety of glitter paint, glitter and glue, and even nail polish for harvest craft ideas. There is no best, but there are some that are a bit less messy to work with when crafting.
- For fast and easy with little mess - use glitter nail polish
- A thicker application of glitter happens with a coat of craft glue then dip into a bowl of loose glitter and shake them off
- If you want a lighter application of glitter that is also fast - spray glitter works wonderfully
Use gold or green glitter and add them to this rustic Christmas wreath later in the season.
Supplies for Glitter Acorns Craft
- Acorns - as many as you want to paint
- Glitter spray, glitter nail polish, or craft glue and loose glitter
How to Make Harvest Craft Glitter Acorns
Begin by gathering your supplies and choosing the type of glitter you will be using on your acorns.
Once you are ready to dip or paint them, set down a newspaper or cloth to cover your table or work area. The glitter spreads fast and sticks to everything, so covering your area is best.
Hold the acorns from their top, and coat with glitter.
If using nail polish, you will simply brush around all sides until coated, then hold them up for a few minutes to air dry or sit them on a paper where they can prop on their tops without hurting the glitter.
The glue and loose glitter method will involve using a paintbrush to apply glue to the bottom of the acorn, then dipping it into loose glitter. Shake off any excess glitter and allow to fully dry.
If you decide to use spray glitter, you will go outside or in a well-ventilated area of your house, and hold them up while spraying all sides until coated the way you prefer.
Printable Step by Step Photo Tutorial:
DIY Glitter Acorns Fall Decoration
This harvest craft is all about natural elements and glitter! Grab those acorns to add your favorite glitter shades and create a sparkly fall harvest element for home decor.
- Glitter nail polish, spray glitter, or glue and loose glitter
- Gather your supplies and set them up on your workspace;
- Lay a newspaper or drop cloth below your work area so any loose glitter is easy to pick up;
- If you are using nail polish, hold the acorn by the top piece and brush glue on until all of the lower parts of the acorn is covered;
- For loose glitter, use a small paintbrush to add glue over the acorn, then dip it into your choice of loose glitter. Tap it gently against the container to shake off any excess glitter;
- If you chose spray glitter, take them outside or into a ventilated room in your home and hold them up to spray before allowing to air dry;
- Add the completed glitter acorns to your favorite harvest decor display;
My favorite Etsy acorn items.
Interested in all crafts