Have you ever wondered how to fold napkins into roses that look beautiful to display at place settings? This beautiful addition to your table is something anyone can learn how to create. A few simple steps and the right napkin and you will become a napkin folding pro in no time!
Excited about folding napkins? Then make sure to check out this napkin folding tutorial collection for other fun ideas!
How to fold napkins the easy way
I adore hosting dinner parties, and always aspire to have something unique and special for my guests. A cute folded napkin at their place setting is such a fun idea! This can really elevate a simple table setting and is something anyone can learn how to do in minutes. In fact, I can even use this tutorial to share with my children so they can help do this as they set the table!
This tutorial is a simple flower napkin, but it is the ideal option for most dinner parties or events. It’s even better when you use different shades of the same color so your table settings look like a giant bouquet! There are so many possibilities once you begin learning how to fold napkins. You will have tons of fun mixing and matching colors and patterns on your napkins to create unique new looks.
What is the best type of napkin for napkin folding?
Stiff paper napkins or quality cloth napkins are best for this project. As shown, we use paper napkins as they are flexible and inexpensive. If you want to get a little more upscale, then a cloth napkin works wonderfully for this design. A stiffer napkin is necessary if you plan to move the flower from the glass to a table.
When shopping for cloth napkins to create these fun floral napkin designs, you will need a specific type of fabric napkin. Yes, not all cloth napkins are created equal.For the best results, look for a polyester or cotton-polyester blend. This will give you a stiffer napkin which will hold the shape you are trying to give it as you assemble the design.
How do I display my new table napkin folding skills?
I love sharing how to fold napkins for the purpose of using them when hosting a party. There is just nothing quite as fun as seeing a face light up when they see that special addition to their place setting. Yet, that’s not the only place you can display your newfound napkin folding skills. Below are some fun ways you can show off your napkin skills to others.
- Use for birthday party decorations
- Add to place settings at dinner parties or family dinners
- Use at holiday meals like these cool ways to fold napkins into Christmas trees or these fun Christmas napkins
- Make flowers out of kitchen towels or hand towels with the same method to place on guest beds when friends come for a visit
- Include the skill on your resume if you are looking for party planning or waitstaff positions
Supplies for easy napkin folding
- A glass with wide rim (win glass is ideal)
- Paper or Cloth napkins
Protip: Get various sizes to use for adding dimension and extra pops of color to your cloth napkin flower
How to fold napkin roses tutorial
Prepare your work area with your napkins and a glass (or glasses if leaving in them at place settings).
First, you will place one napkin in the glass and fold it in half so it rests on the edge of the glass. Take a second napkin in the same or different color, and cover have of the previous napkin. Repeat this process moving around the glass until you are happy with the size of the flower.
If you want to leave the folded rose napkin in the glass, you can do that and leave at each place setting. You may also carefully lift it out of the glass and display on the plate, beside the plate, or as part of a centerpiece on your table
- Wide mouth glass (wine glass preferable)
- Paper or cloth napkins in desired sizes and colors
- Fold one napkin in half, and place over the rim of the glass pressing the sides down over the side of the glass. Note: If using multiple sizes of napkins, start with the smallest napkin first
- Repeat with the second napkin overlapping half of the first napkin
- Continue this process alternating colors as desired until you have placed 5-8 napkins and built a nice sized flower.
- Once ready, you will flip the glass over so that the flower base is on the table or plate and you can gently lift the glass out of the center leaving only the flower
- Carefully remove the glass, and fluff the "petals" of the napkin flower until it looks how you prefer
- Display flowers in glasses, on plates, or as a centerpiece on your table
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.