If you want to wear colorful earrings which make a statement, tassel earrings are the way to go! Did you know you can make tassel earrings yourself at home using yarn and a few other simple, cheap supplies? In this video tutorial, you can follow along and create your own.
How to Make Tassel Earrings With Yarn
What is awesome about making your own tassel earrings at home is that you can customize just your liking. Instead of searching far and wide for tassel earrings in the perfect color, you can simply choose any yarn you want at the store and make your own.
What Do You Need to Make Yarn Tassel Earrings?
To make your yarn tassel earrings, you will of course need yarn in a color of your preference. You are also going to need some jewelry wire. Jewelry wire comes in different gauges. I recommend 20 gauge if you’re not sure what to get. It is an all-around useful wire size and easy to work with.
Additionally, you will need some faux pearls or other beads, and you will need to pick up some earring hooks as well.
In terms of tools, a pair of scissors will be required to cut the yarn. You will also need a pair of needle-nose pliers to help you bend and shape the wire and a pair of diagonal pliers to cut the wire.
DIY Yarn Tassel Earrings Spruce Up Any Outfit
Once you have crafted your yarn tassel earrings, you can wear them to add a splash of color and boldness to any look.
Yarn tassel earrings also make an excellent gift for a fellow jewelry lover. You can personalize them by choosing colors and materials for the yarn and beads which you know will suit the recipient.
Step-by-Step Yarn Tassel Earrings Video Tutorial
- Jewelry wire
- Earring hooks
- Needle-nose pliers
- Diagonal pliers
- To start making your first earring, spool the yarn around your finger a number of times, and then cut it.
- Pull the second piece of yarn through the middle of the small spool you created and out the other side as shown. If it is still attached to the main spool of yarn, cut it off so it is independent.
- Cut off a third piece of yarn, and wrap that around and around the top of the small spool where the second piece of yarn is looped through. Then tie it securely. This will be the top of your tassel.
- It is now time to do some trimming. Use your scissors to cut through the bottom of the loop so that you have lots of yarn ends hanging down. If necessary, keep trimming so that all the ends are even.
- Trim the loose ends of what I called the “third piece of yarn” earlier—the one you wrapped around the top of your tassel.
- Now you are going to slice through the remaining two pieces of yarn which are currently sticking out of the top of your tassel (what I called the “second piece of yarn” before).
- Yay! You have made a tassel. Time to create the rest of the earring!
- Use a pair of diagonal pliers to snip off a piece of wire to work with.
- Push the wire through the top of your tassel, looping it around so that it holds in place. If you put a curve in it like a hook at the end before inserting it, that should allow it to hold. It should come straight out of the top.
- Note: You may be able to bend the wire with your fingers, but if you need more precision, that is what the needle nosed pliers are for.
- Thread several beads onto the wire above the tassel.
- Push the end of your wire through the bail attached to your earring hook.
- Push the bail down so that it is right above the top bead. Cut off the excess wire, and then loop the remaining bit down so that the bail is hooked on securely.
- To make a second earring, just repeat all of the steps above, taking your time to ensure that the two are identical.
My favorite Etsy earrings! 🙂
Jewelry Projects to Try Next
What can you do next after you create your lovely tassel yarn earrings? Well, it’s worth mentioning first of all that you have just done some basic wire wrapping! So you might want to play around with your leftover wire and some beads to see what else you can create. You have all the tools you need to make more beautiful wire creations.
We also have some other fun jewelry projects for you to try on our site! To start with, why not check out this list of 25 gorgeous DIY boho jewelry pieces? You can also try some of these 35 vibrant DIY jewelry ideas that will dress up your summer wardrobe.
Pin this project: