My family loves French toast for breakfast, but it seems to take so much time to make. On busy mornings, I rarely have time to pour a bowl of cereal, much less feed them French toast. So, you can imagine how excited I was to come across this French toast casserole recipe. It takes me about 10 minutes to get this into the oven, and then it bakes while everyone is getting dressed.
Is This An Overnight French Toast Recipe?
You can turn this into an overnight recipe. Just prepare it at night and then bake it first thing in the morning. It only takes 10 minutes to get ready to bake, but if you don’t have those extra 10 minutes in the morning, this could easily be considered an overnight French toast recipe.
Can You Reheat Baked French Toast?
Yes! This recipe makes a pretty good sized French toast casserole, so you may have some left over. If you do, just pop it in the microwave the next morning, and it will be just as good as fresh.
I even froze a portion of this casserole for use later in the week. It freezes well and heats up perfectly.
Why Is My Baked French Toast Soggy?
If you are getting soggy French toast casserole, it could be your choice of bread. I don’t recommend using regular sandwich bread for this one, as it will get soggy quickly. Instead, use brioche bread. You can find brioche bread at Walmart or any major grocery store.
I’ve even seen it online. Brioche is like French bread – It’s thicker and holds up to the moisture better.
What Other Types Of Bread Can I Use For French Toast Casserole?
Crusty loaves of bread will likely work best with this breakfast casserole, which is why brioche works well. You can also try:
- French Bread
- Toscano Bread
- Challah Bread
- Sourdough Bread
What Goes With French Toast For Brunch?
What’s great about this French toast casserole recipe is that you don’t necessarily need anything with it. If you do want to prepare this for brunch and need some side ideas, try fresh fruit or even some homemade cinnamon rolls or cinnamon apple rings. If you are putting out a really big brunch spread, try these banana Nutella muffins. However you serve it, this is one of the simplest and most delicious breakfast casserole recipes you will ever make!
Printable Recipe Card and Nutrition Info
- 1 brioche loaf
- 2 cups of milk
- 7 eggs
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- 3 oz. (390 g) of butter, melted
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 7 oz. (200 g) of cream cheese;
- 1 tbsp. of pumpkin spice mix
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Slice brioche loaf into cubes.
- Whisk milk, eggs, maple syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, and pumpkin spice mix.
- Add half of the bread to the baking pan. Pour half of the eggs and milk mixture and top and press with a spoon slightly to soak bread in liquids.
- Add dollops of cream cheese on top, then cover with more bread and eggs. Finally, add leftover cream cheese, cover the pan with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the foil, leave casserole to cool down completely, then serve sprinkled with powdered sugar and drizzled with maple syrup.
Serving Size:8.8 oz. (250 g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 275mgSodium: 424mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 13g