I love a good chicken dish, especially if it has Mexican flavor. That’s why when I found this salsa chicken recipe, I just had to try it. We try to do Mexican food night at least once a week or so in my house and I thought that this would be a great healthy alternative to traditional tacos and nachos.
What I didn’t know is how much my family would love this. This is honestly one of the best Mexican meals that I have ever made and it is so much healthier than greasy tacos and the like.
My kids even loved it and they really don’t like giving up their tacos. It only takes about 15 minutes to get this one ready and then it cooks in the slow cooker for a few hours. So, this is a great dish to make if you have something else to do in the afternoon.
Just get it started and when you get home, it will be all cooked to perfection. And might I add that the lime juice and cilantro make it heavenly. This is honestly such a quick and easy Mexican recipe and who doesn’t just love a good chicken dish? You could also serve this with some yummy and healthy zucchini tortillas.
Seriously, just 15 minutes to get this ready and you will have the most amazing meal waiting for you. You need taco seasoning, cream, sour cream, pepper, tomatoes and a few other ingredients to make this and it serves perfectly over rice.
Or, you could serve it with taco shells, chips or anything else that you like with your Mexican food. Add some additional cheese and sour cream and your family will think that they are dining at a true Mexican restaurant, they will love you even more for it when you serve them these yummy chocolate chip cookies for dessert.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 hours
Total time: 4-5 hours+20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 350 g (12 oz)
Type: Appetizer, Main
4 pounds (2 kg) of chicken breasts
2 tbsps. of taco seasoning
1 ½ cup of full-fat cream
½ cup of sour cream
1 bell pepper
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
½ red onion
1 tbsp. of lime juice
1/3 cup of fresh cilantro
1. Make your homemade salsa by chopping bell pepper, tomatoes, onion and cilantro together. Season with salt and pepper, add lime juice.
2. Put chicken into a slow cooker, pout cream in, add salsa, taco seasoning and a generous pinch of salt.
3. Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or until chicken is falling apart easily.
4. Shred chicken with a fork, add sour cream and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with pasta, rice, chips etc.
Start with chicken breast for a delicious Mexican meal
Cilantro, taco seasoning and various other flavors make this a wonderful meal
The chicken cooks up perfectly in the crock pot in just a few hours
Add sour cream and other ingredients to make it creamy and delicious
Serve over rice or your favorite Mexican chips or tortillas
- Make your homemade salsa by chopping bell pepper, tomatoes, onion and cilantro together. Season with salt and pepper, add lime juice.
- Put chicken into a slow cooker, pout cream in, add salsa, taco seasoning and a generous pinch of salt.
- Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or until chicken is falling apart easily.
- Shred chicken with a fork, add sour cream and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with pasta, rice, chips etc.
Serving Size:12 oz
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 638 Total Fat: 26.6g Saturated Fat: 8.7g Cholesterol: 278mg Sodium: 413mg Carbohydrates: 5.7g Fiber: 0.9g Sugar: 2.6g Protein: 88.7g