Mac and cheese is a staple food in my house. I always have to have the ingredients on hand to make it because everyone in my family loves it. Plus, it really does kind of go with everything, doesn’t it?
If your family loves mac and cheese and perhaps sometimes you want to do something a bit different than your grandma’s mac and cheese recipe, or gasp…a box…this butternut mac and cheese is great. Not only does it satisfy that macaroni and cheese craving, but it does it with such flair!
One of the best things about this recipe is that it cooks in the slow cooker, so you have time to take care of other things while it is making itself. Another thing is that it has butternut squash.
The butternut squash, onion and garlic give it a wonderful flavor and the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese make it the best mac and cheese you have ever tried. If you do prefer just plain old mac and cheese, I’ve got a great recipe for the creamiest mac and cheese ever. If however you like to spice things up, then this is definitely a recipe you will want to try. My whole family loved it!
This one is ready for the slow cooker in about 10 minutes and then you cook it for anywhere from four to eight hours, depending on how long you need it to cook. You can totally serve this with just about any meat dish and it will be a huge hit.
I served it with meatloaf and it was wonderful, although the next time I make it, I am definitely adding it to the side of this baked chicken and potatoes recipe. It’s a family favorite as well and I think the two dishes will really complement each other.
Butternut mac and cheese
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3-4 hours/6-8 hours
Total time: 3-4 hours/6-8 hours and 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 180 g (6.3 oz)
Type: Main Dish
3 cups of butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 small white onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. of ground nutmeg
½ tsp. of chili powder
1 cup of mozzarella, shredded
¼ cup of cream cheese
1 cup of water
240 g (8.4 oz) of pasta
1. Put squash, chopped onion, spices and garlic into a slow cooker. Add salt and pepper to taste, cover with 1 cup of water. Cook for 3-4 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW or until vegetables are soft.
2. Cook pasta separately following directions on the package.
3. Bled squash until smooth sauce forms, add your cheeses and pasta. Mix, cover with a lid and leave until mozzarella is melted completely.
Butternut squash, onion, and cheese make this the creamiest and most delicious mac and cheese ever
The squash blends smooth to create a creamy sauce for the pasta
Mix in pasta and cream cheese, along with other ingredients to blended squash
With a gorgeous color and scrumptious taste, this will be your favorite mac and cheese recipe ever
- Put squash, chopped onion, spices and garlic into a slow cooker. Add salt and pepper to taste, cover with 1 cup of water. Cook for 3-4 hours on HIGH or 6-
- 8 hours on LOW or until vegetables are soft.
- Cook pasta separately following directions on the package.
- Bled squash until smooth sauce forms, add your cheeses and pasta. Mix, cover with a lid and leave until mozzarella is melted completely.
Serving Size:6.3 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 5.4gSaturated Fat: 2.9gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 74mgCarbohydrates: 32.4gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 2.2gProtein: 7.6g