Chapped lips can be painful and unsightly. During the winter months, many people experience dry, chapped lips and some even suffer through the summer months when air is dry and hot. If you have chapped lips, there are many over the counter lip balms that you can try or you can choose the homemade remedy way.
One great remedy for chapped lips is to simply apply petroleum jelly or coconut oil right before going to bed. While you sleep, the petroleum jelly will moisturize your lips and leave them silky smooth by the time you wake up.
You can also use Vitamin E. If you have any Vitamin E capsules, just open one by puncturing it with a pin and then apply it to your lips.
Drinking water will also help to prevent chapped lips. Drink at least eight glasses of water every day to keep your entire body hydrated which will help to prevent dry lips and skin.
It is important that you do not lick your lips frequently. While it would seem that licking them would add moisture, it actually dries them out. Keep lip balm or Vaseline on your lips to prevent yourself from licking and to add moisture.
Honey contains great antibacterial properties that can help to heal chapped lips. Try this homemade honey and Vaseline remedy:
• Wet your lips slightly with warm water
• Apply just a thin coating of honey and allow it to dry for just a couple of seconds
• Put Vaseline over the honey and leave for at least 15 minutes
• You can remove the Vaseline with a cotton swap and a bit of warm water
• This remedy can be used every day to help hydrate and heal lips and to prevent chapping in the future