Takeout is wonderful, right? I mean, you get a nice, wholesome, delicious meal and you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen. We don’t have a good Indian restaurant around me, so I rarely get to indulge in delicious Indian takeout. Until now.
I love easy recipes that turn out scrumptious meals. Like this spinach and bacon frittata that you could have ready the night before and just pop it in the oven for a quick and nutritious breakfast. Anything that saves me time – and money – and turns out delicious foods that my family will eat is a winner in my book.
Now, let’s get back to the yummy butter chicken. It’s got yogurt, almonds, tomatoes, garlic, and of course, ginger and cumin to give it that great Indian dish flavor. Honestly, this is one of the best recipes, and you can serve it up with naan or any other Indian bread and you’ll really feel like you’ve ordered takeout. If you’re looking for something a little different than chicken spaghetti or your traditional go-to of burgers or hot dogs, this is definitely a recipe that you want to try out. I promise you’re going to love it, and it’s so easy to make that it’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you would actually have to order takeout to have a good, warm meal.
Butter, tomatoes, and Indian spices give this chicken dish authentic takeout flavor.
Puree marinade ingredients together in blender before adding to chicken.
Sautee onions until clear.
Add to crock pot and relax while it cooks.
Such a delicious and authentic tasting Indian dish – and you don’t have to wait for the delivery guy.
Serves 9 oz (250 g)
15 minPrep Time
1 hr, 25 Cook Time
1 hr, 40 Total Time
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- ¼ cup peeled almonds
- 4 canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 boneless chicken thighs, cut in cubes
- 4 tbsps. full fat cream
- 3 tbsps. butter
- 1 white onion, sliced in half-moon slices
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for serving
- Process all the marinade ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Mix chicken with marinade and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion in 1 tbsp. butter until translucent.
- Transfer marinated chicken to the onions with 2 tbsps. of butter and cream. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer everything into slow cooker, add ¼ cup water and cook on HIGH for 1.25 hours. Serve with fresh greens.