Deck your tree with this fun little beaded pinecone star ornament! This festive decoration is made with pinecones and beads in a star shape that sparkles Then you let your creativity flow. It's easy to make and adds a touch of nature to your holiday decor. This ornament is the perfect way to get into the Christmas spirit!
Beaded Pinecone Star Ornament
You can make these beautiful beaded pinecone star ornaments with just a few supplies and some time. They’re the perfect handmade gift to give during the holiday season! Plus, they look great on your tree or as part of your winter decor.
These gorgeous star ornaments will brighten up anyone’s day and bring joy to their home. And since they don't take much time to make, why not make several? You could even use them as stocking stuffers at Christmas time! Your friends and family will love these unique gifts that you made yourself. What better way is there to show someone how much you care about them than by making something special with your own two hands? It doesn't get more personal than that.
What Should I Use to Glue the Pinecones Together?
One of the easiest glues to use when you are trying to glue these pinecones together is to use hot glue. That is because it dries fast and it is easy to use. Use the hot glue and place a few small spots where the pine cones touch. Press them together and let the glue set. The bind should form quickly and that will hold the pinecones together.
Another choice is to use something that bonds fast without the heat. Top choices are Krazy glue (aka super glue), Gorilla glue, or even the popular E6000 heavy-duty adhesive glue. These glues bond permanently. When using this glue, you want to do the same as when using hot glue. Place a few drops of the glue on different places where the pinecones meet. You might need to do one spot at a time, depending on how fast the glue dries.
While you could use craft glue or basic white school glue for this, it will not hold as well and isn't ideal for holding the weight of the pinecones and beads together as an ornament.
What Paint Should I Use For These Pinecones?
There are 2 paints that work well when you are painting pinecones. You can use spray paint and you can use acrylic paints. Spray paint is great because it is extremely easy to use. However, it is not great for details. If you want to paint the pinecones using spray paint, I recommend a short burst from a distance. This will give a mist and will give less coverage than a direct blast.
Using acrylics and a brush, you can paint with more precision. This makes it easier to add details. It does take longer and acrylics take longer to dry than spray paint. Both options, however, are good for this project. Use what you have on hand to add the dusting of white paint on the edges of the pinecones to symbolize snow.
What Other Ways Can I Decorate This Star Ornament?
If you want to make your ornament just a little different, it's super easy to do so. I love that there are tons of ways to customize this for your own style and color scheme. Below are a few ideas that would work great for this ornament.
- Use different colors of paint on the pinecones. They don't have to look snowy but can be any holiday or theme color you prefer.
- Add beads in different colors or shapes. Pink was what I had on hand, but you can definitely reach for more traditional red, green, gold, silver, or blue for the holiday season.
- Sprinkle on some glitter or spray with a glitter spray.
- Add berries or an evergreen piece to the star for a more authentic rustic look.
- Weave ribbons or lace around each pinecone to give it a bit more depth.
No matter what you choose to do, this ornament is going to look great on your holiday tree this year. Let it become the ideal rustic addition that shows style and yet still looks a bit elegant.
How to Make a Pinecone Star Ornament
Glue five pinecones together so the pointed end is facing outward and the rounded ends are glued together but flat in the shape of a star.
Once the glue dries, brush a bit of white paint onto the outside of the pinecones to give it a snowy look, then set it aside to dry.
When the paint has dried, begin gluing beads around the pinecones.
Glue a few on each pinecone, in between the scales so it is random, but still looks neat and clean.
Once you are happy with the beads on the star, you can cut and tie a loop of lace ribbon to hang the ornament. The easiest method is to loop it through the center of the ornament and just tie the knot on the end.
Add additional embellishments if desired then hang this from your holiday tree.
More Easy Christmas Ornaments
One of my favorite parts of the holiday season is putting up our tree, and that is really because I love seeing all of the ornaments again each year. This year I am excited to see even more homemade ornaments on the tree. You can enjoy not just this beaded star, but a ton of other homemade ornaments from our list. We love making them and know you will too! Just bookmark, pin, or print out the tutorials and add them to your crafting to-do list soon!
- Fun Candy Cane Reindeer Ornament
- Unique Acorn Cap Glitter Christmas Ornament
- DIY Paper Lantern Christmas Ornament
- Rustic Miniature Rudolph Burlap Wreath Ornament
- Glue five pinecones together so the pointed end is facing outward and the rounded ends are glued together but flat in the shape of a star.
- Once the glue dries, brush a bit of white paint onto the outside of the pinecones to give it a snowy look, then set it aside to dry.
- When the paint has dried, begin gluing beads around the pinecones.
- Glue a few on each pinecone, in between the scales so it is random, but still looks neat and clean.
- Once you are happy with the beads on the star, you can cut and tie a loop of lace ribbon to hang the ornament. The easiest method is to loop it through the center of the ornament and just tie the knot on the end.
- Add additional embellishments if desired then hang this from your holiday tree.
Use any color bead you prefer or even replace them with sequins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pinecone Star Wall Hanger or Table Decor for Christmas or Year | Etsy
PAiR of Christmas Tree Ornaments: One PiNECONE STAR + One PiNECONE BIRDHOUSE | ViNTAGE Winter Holiday Decorations, Rustic Woodsy Home Decor
P Upinecone Star Wreath | Etsy
Mini Snowflake Pine Cone Ornament Gold or Silver Snowflake | Etsy
Pinecone Ornaments Star Ornament Christmas Ornaments Set of | Etsy
Pinecone Ornament Star Shaped Ornament Handcrafted Ornament | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Use glitter for a more sparkly look on your ornament.
You can use burlap or twine to replace the lace ribbon for a more rustic look.