This felt ice skate Christmas ornament is the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit! It’s easy enough that even young children can help make them, and it makes a beautiful decoration. Plus, it will be something they remember from their childhood years later on. You already have a few craft supplies on hand and just minutes of your time can create a unique handmade ornament.
Felt Ice Skate Christmas Ornament
This Christmas season, bring the ice rink into your home with these adorable felt skates. They are easy and fun to make and will look great on your tree or as a decoration in any room of the house. This craft is perfect when you want to use crafting supplies you have around the house.
You can make these ornaments as gifts for friends and family members who love winter or winter sports like hockey or figure skating. They are also cute decorations for your own home during the holidays! The best part is that they only take a short time to make – so you won’t have any trouble fitting them in between shopping trips and baking cookies. And when you’re done, you can hang them up right away without having to wait until Christmas day!
If you are going with an ice theme on your tree, you might also like adding this easy snowflake ornament made from an old bottle, or even these paper snowflake ornaments. Both are great for this theme!
What Can I Use Instead of Felt?
If you want to skip the felt, there are tons of other ways you can make these ornaments. I love the idea of using what you already have on hand, so below are some more ideas that work great for making homemade ornaments.
- Use construction paper, craft paper, scrapbook paper, or cardstock.
- Craft foam or foam paper are also popular options.
- Fabric or wide ribbon can both be used – especially when you have leftovers from past projects.
Since this ornament doesn’t have to be super stiff like some, you can use almost anything to cut out the skate for the base of this ornament.
What Can I Make the “Skate” From?
The easiest thing to make the skate part of the ice skate Christmas ornament is the classic paper clip. With the natural shape, it’s easy to just glue in place or adjust easily to make the shape wanted.
Any wire can be bent into shape as a skate but may require a pair of pliers or a bit more work. Another option would be to use ornament hangers. You can use those, trimmed and bent into place. Another thing that you can use is a pipe cleaner. It won’t have the same clean look as the metal, since they are fussy, but it is easy to find, inexpensive, and easy to use.
How Can I Personalize My Skate?
You can easily personalize this skate ornament with a number of different changes. Of course, the basics like changing the color are obvious, but below are a few other ideas that kids who might be helping would enjoy.
- Add different embellishments to the front like snowflakes, stars, berries, mini ornaments, or similar.
- Use stickers to add a Santa or reindeer theme to the skate.
- Spray with glitter spray or add an edge of glue to the outside and then add glitter. You can even use this for creating a monogram on each skate to personalize.
- Pom poms, sequins, beads, and ribbon can also be used to add a bit of something extra on the top of the “boot” on the skate.
There are tons of ways to customize your skate ornament. Just have fun and let kids help use their imagination. I love putting out small bowls of things like beads, sequins, ribbon bits, and pom-poms on a table and then letting kids build their own skate!
What Should I Use to Hang a Homemade Ornament?
If an adult is making this ice skate ornament craft, you can use the metal ornament hangers. They are easy to attach and will hang easily wherever you want to place them. For kids, or whenever kids will be handling the skate, I would recommend using string or ribbon. Use a hole punch to create the space to place the string or ribbon through. Another option is to just glue it to the back of the ornament.
- Paper clip
- Ribbon or pipe cleaner
- Bead or button
- Winter/Christmas embellishment
- Pen or pencil
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue stick
How to Make an Ice Skate Christmas Ornament
Trace a boot shape onto paper then cut it out.
Use this boot shape to trace two boots onto felt and cut them out.
Take apart a paper clip so the bottom is curved and the ends are pointing upwards a bit.
Put a bit of hot glue onto one of the boots, then place the paper clip over the glue so that the rounded edge is hanging over underneath the boot.
Add additional glue on top of the paper clip and top part of the boot, and then press the second felt boot over the top to cover it. Adjust if needed so they line up nicely.
Cut a 6″ piece of twine and tie the end then glue so the loop is on top and the end is just at the edge of the boot to create a hanger.
Cut and glue a strip of ribbon or pipe cleaner so it covers the top of the boot and where the twine hanger is. Glue in place on both sides of the boot.
Tie the raffia into a bow and glue in place on the edge of the boot.
Add a button or bead to the center of the raffia.
Cut out a small piece of holiday-themed fabric or add an embellishment of your preference to the center. You could also use glitter at this time to add a monogram.
Continue decorating until happy with the overall look, then hang on your holiday tree!
More Easy Christmas Ornament Ideas
If you want to add more homemade ornaments to your tree this year, we have you covered. Below are some of my personal favorite DIY holiday decorations for your tree. Bookmark these tutorials, print them out, or pin them to Pinterest so they are handy when you are ready to craft and decorate!
- Paper Straw Mini Christmas Tree Ornament
- Adorable Snowman Craft Stick Christmas Ornament
- Rustic Yarn Star Christmas Tree Ornament
- Upcycled Lightbulb Snowman Christmas Tree Ornament
- Rustic Old Book Page Snowman Ornament
- Trace a boot shape onto paper then cut it out.
- Use this boot shape to trace two boots onto felt and cut them out.
- Take apart a paper clip so the bottom is curved and the ends are pointing upwards a bit.
- Put a bit of hot glue onto one of the boots, then place the paper clip over the glue so that the rounded edge is hanging over underneath the boot.
- Add additional glue on top of the paper clip and top part of the boot, and then press the second felt boot over the top to cover it. Adjust if needed so they line up nicely.
- Cut a 6" piece of twine and tie the end then glue so the loop is on top and the end is just at the edge of the boot to create a hanger.
- Cut and glue a strip of ribbon or pipe cleaner so it covers the top of the boot and where the twine hanger is. Glue in place on both sides of the boot.
- Tie the raffia into a bow and glue in place on the edge of the boot.
- Add a button or bead to the center of the raffia.
- Cut out a small piece of holiday-themed fabric or add an embellishment of your preference to the center. You could also use glitter at this time to add a monogram.
- Continue decorating until happy with the overall look, then hang on your holiday tree!
Decorate with your own preferred embellishments or leave solid with just ribbon around the boot cuff.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Snowflake Mini Felt Ice Skates Ornament | Etsy
Ice Skates Figure Personalized Christmas Ornament 2021 Ice | Etsy
Personalized Christmas Ice Skating Ornament With Name and Year | Etsy
Plaid Ice Skate Ornament | Etsy
Ice Skate Metal Christmas Ornament Custom Gift for Her Him | Etsy
Skate Ornaments Kids Christmas Tree Gifts 2021 Custom | Etsy
Finished Project Gallery
Use any color of felt to create your own skate that is unique.
Make them in multiple sizes for an entire tree of little skate ornaments!