This cute little craft stick dog is absolutely the cutest dog craft ever. Using craft sticks and crafting foam, or construction paper, kids can have this little puppet to play with for hours. Let the kids get creative with how their dog looks and make their favorite puppy dog. This is a great idea for keeping kids busy on a hot summer afternoon!
Craft Stick Dog
How adorable is this little craft stick dog? It is so easy to make and kids will love it. Use it as a summer afternoon craft idea, for kids in daycare, or as a fun summer camp craft idea. With only a few inexpensive craft supplies, the kids will love making this!
I always keep craft sticks or popsicle sticks on hand in my craft stash. There are tons of ways to put them to use, but most often I use them for projects with the kids. This is just one little way you can add a fun activity to the routine while using an inexpensive craft supply.
Can I Paint the Sticks Different Colors?
This is a simple craft that can be made with very few supplies. Sometimes, however, you might want a craft that takes a little longer for the kids to complete to help keep them occupied for a little longer.
It may even be that sometimes the kids just want to paint. Either way, you can paint the craft sticks a different color.
Kids can get creative with the craft sticks and paint then in a pattern or they can be painted all one color. Another option, if you do not have kid-safe paint on hand, the kids can color the craft sticks with crayons or markers.
There is nothing that has to be exact about this craft. Especially when working with kids. Encourage their imagination and let them turn the puppies into whatever they want them to look like.
What Can I Use This Dog For?
I think right away that these can be used as a puppet or toy for kids to play with. You might be surprised how much fun the kids will have playing with this. They can even make several of them so they can pretend the dogs are living their best life.
Another option is to add a magnet on the back and it can be used on the refrigerator. Add another craft stick on the dog and it can be used as a planter decoration. You could even make it a smaller scale and use it as a cute little decoration to go on a birthday cake!
- Craft sticks
- Brown paper
- Black paper
- White paper
- Pink paper
- Black marker
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
How to Make a Craft Stick Dog
Place five craft sticks together side by side then glue two additional craft sticks across them vertically.
Trim the excess bottom off the two vertical craft sticks.
Now, glue 3 craft sticks side by side vertically in the center of the horizontal pieces to create the doglegs.
On a piece of brown paper, draw a tail, 2 ears, and 2 round paws.
Cut out the paws, ears, and tail.
You will also need to cut out 2 round white pieces for eyes, one pink piece for the tongue, and one black nose-shaped piece.
Glue one ear on each side of the horizontal headpiece.
Next, glue the paws onto the bottom of the vertical sticks.
Add the tail to the side of the craft sticks toward the bottom of the puppy feet by the paws.
Draw lines onto the paws to make them look more like toes.
Glue the white circles onto the head toward the top.
Add black circles into the center of the eyes.
Glue the nose just below the eyes.
Add a black marker mouth below the nose and glue the pink tongue just below the mouth.
Add any additional color paper, marker, or decorations to the dog as desired.
My favorite place to shop for craft supplies is at the local Dollar Tree store. Lately, I’ve been picking up items in bulk on DollarTree.com. The prices are better and it’s great to get larger quantities so I don’t run out any time soon.
- Lay 5 craft sticks side by side and glue together horizontally;
- Glue two additional craft sticks on each end vertically;
- Trim the excess vertical sticks off creating a flat rectangle of craft sticks;
- Next, glue 3 craft sticks side by side vertically and attach to the center of the sticks you just made gluing them so the longest part hangs down below creating dog legs;
- On a piece of brown paper, draw a tail shape, 2 ears, and 2 round paws;
- Cut out these items and set aside;
- Also cut out 2 round white pieces for eyes, one pink piece for the tongue, and one black nose-shaped piece and set them aside;
- Glue one ear on each side of the rectangle head shape;
- Next, glue the brown round pieces to the bottom of the legs to create paws;
- Add the tail to the side just above the paws;
- Use a marker to draw a few lines on each paw to resemble toes;
- Glue two white circles onto the head just below the top;
- Add black circles to the center of the eyes with marker or craft paper;
- Glue the nose just below the eyes;
- Draw a smile just under the nose with a marker;
- Add the pink tongue just under the black marker mouth;
- Your dog is ready to play with or to add yarn for hair, color with markers to add spots or any other decorations your kids prefer.
Feel free to use any color you want for the ears, paws, and tail to create a different dog look.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Finished Project Gallery