Today I have a super easy and fun project for you! In this video tutorial, you are going to learn how you can paint a glass jar so that it looks like a watermelon, pineapple, or other tasty fruit. This is a perfect craft for summertime and is a good project for kids and adults.
How to Paint a Strawberry, Pineapple or Watermelon Mason Jar
This is one of the easiest craft projects I have shared to date. You only need a small number of supplies, and there are just a few easy steps to transform your glass jar.
How to Paint a Mason Jar to Look Like a Fruit With Simple Supplies
You need just a few tools and several materials to make this project happen. In terms of tools, you need a pair of scissors, a black, yellow and orange marker, and hot glue and a glue gun.
As for materials, you will need some green crafting string, some transparent paint for glass (preferably in red or pink as well as yellow), and as many glass jars as you want to paint. You can use a mason jar or any other glass jar you want.
Because this is an easy project, it is a fun one to do with kids. Just make sure that you are supervising them and do not let children who are too small use the hot glue gun.
What to Do With a Painted Summer Drink Jar
As I mentioned, summer is a fantastic time to work on this craft. Not only is the fruit theme perfect for the season, but you can serve cool, refreshing beverages in your painted jars during summer parties.
How to Paint a Summer Fruit Jar Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
Now that we have introduced this project, let's get to crafting. Find all the materials and tools you need in a convenient list below along with written instructions to go along with the video tutorial.
Note that in this video, I’ll be making the watermelon jar. But you can follow the exact same steps to make the pineapple or strawberry jar. You just change the paint and marker colors you use and draw different patterns. You can follow these steps to make any other type of fruit jar you want too!
- Transparent red or pink paint for glass
- Transparent yellow paint for glass
- Green crafting string
- Hot glue and glue gun
- Black marker
- Orange marker
- Yellow marker
- For our first step, we will be winding the green craft string around and around the base of the jar on the outside. Start it off as close to the bottom as you can, and apply hot glue as you go. This step may take you a while simply because you are wrapping the string around the jar so many times. When you get to about a quarter of the way up, cut the string. Glue down the last bit of the string. Don’t feel like wrapping the string around your jar bunch of times? You could alternatively use a wide green ribbon, or just apply green paint. This would create a different look as well. Try any or all of these ideas and see which you like best. There are a lot of small ways you can vary this project to personalize it and give it your own spin.
- Using the black marker, draw on the shapes of watermelon seeds around the outside of the jar above the green section. If we are making the pineapple jar, we use the orange marker to draw little v-shapes for this step, and if we are making the strawberry jar, we draw little dots with the yellow marker instead. Note: If making the pineapple or strawberry jar, save this step until after step 3 below, or your paint will cover up your dots or v-shapes.
- At this point, if you want, you can call the project complete, especially if you plan to serve beverages with a red or pink color inside your jar. But if you prefer, you can use transparent glass paint on the outside of the watermelon jar to give it a permanent red or pink tint. This color works for the strawberry jar as well, and you can use yellow for the pineapple jar.
- The final step is to insert a drink straw and pour your beverage of choice. Any drink looks refreshing and delicious when served in a fruit jar.
Note that in this tutorial, I’m making the watermelon jar. But you can follow the exact same steps to make the pineapple or strawberry jar. You just change the paint and marker colors you use and draw different patterns. You can follow these steps to make any other type of fruit jar you want too!
What to Make After Your Fruit-Themed Summer Drink Jar is Completed
Looking for more summery crafts to try after you finish making your summer drink jar? You’re in luck because summer crafts are some of our favorite things to share here on DIYnCrafts.
To get you started, how about a summery upgrade to your wardrobe? Here are 20 gorgeous DIY boho fashion pieces you can make for summer. Want to keep your hair out of your way, staying cool and stylish during the hottest months of the year? Try making these 10 DIY summer headband projects.
You now have cute fruit-themed Mason jars to serve beverages to your guests in during your next summer barbecue, but how is your deck looking? Get it spruced up for your parties with these 20 DIY deck projects. And while you are at it, welcome guests to your front door with a beautiful and easy summer wreath. We’ve got 20 summer wreath ideas waiting for you.
We will have plenty more summer crafts and recipes to share with you over the months ahead, so be sure to keep checking back with us here at DIYnCrafts!