I am always on the lookout for a quick yet wholesome dinner idea for my family. During the warmer months, we’re always running from one outdoor event to another and often, we don’t get home until late. So when I came across this pepper casserole recipe, I was thrilled, to say the least.
What Is Pepper Casserole?
This casserole combines peppers, meat, and seasonings for a delicious and wholesome dinner idea. My family loved it…even my picky eaters. They loved this casserole as much as they do my cheese stuffed peppers. To make this, you’ll need:
- Ground or Minced Beef
- Uncooked Rice
- Tomato Paste
What Kinds Of Peppers Go Into Pepper Casserole?
I used red bell peppers for this recipe, but you could substitute for yellow or green if you prefer. Or, use a combination. Mixing red, yellow and green peppers would give it such a gorgeous color, and if you happen to be growing peppers in your garden, that’s even better!
How Do You Store Pepper Casserole?
Once it’s cooked, this stuffed bell pepper casserole recipe is an easy one to store. Cover and refrigerate it for up to two or three days. You can also freeze your leftovers and then heat them up in the microwave when you’re ready for them.
This would also be a great freezer casserole recipe. Prepare it all and freeze for up to six months. Then, just pull it out of the freezer and bake as per the instructions.
Printable Recipe Card and Nutrition Info
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 1 pound (500 g) of minced beef
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder
- 2 cups of broth (beef or chicken)
- 1 cup of tomatoes, pureed
- 2 tbsps. of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. of dried Italian herbs
- ½ cup of uncooked rice
- 1 tsp. of dried dill
- 1 cup of mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
- Using a little bit of olive oil, sauté onion until transparent, add bell peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- For the sauce, combine broth, tomato puree, tomato paste, dried herbs, garlic powder, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Grease 8X8 inch (20x20cm) baking pan. Put minced beef in, add rice and veggies and combine them together. Pour the sauce over and loosen beef mince with a spoon.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then cover with cheese and cook for 10-15 minutes more.
Serving Size:10 oz. (300 g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g