I love birds…and I love to read, so making this felt bird paperclip styled bookmark fed both of my passions. If you love to read or know someone who does, this felt bookmark DIY is for you.
These little birds sit atop a paperclip which can be used to hold your place in whatever you are currently reading.
What Type Of Felt Is Best?
You can find felt at your favorite hobby or craft store or online. There are different thickness levels. A thinner felt is best for these DIY felt bookmarks. These would make wonderful DIY Mother’s Day gifts!
Can You Sew With Felt?
Yes – Actually, you have to do a bit of sewing in this project, and a bit of glue. When you sew felt, you just have to be careful not to pull too hard on the thread, or it may cause a hole in your felt.
What You Need To Make These DIY Felt Bookmarks
You will need a few craft materials for these bookmarks, including:
- Jumbo Paperclip
- Printable Bird Template
- Hot Glue Gun
- Needle And Thread
How To Use The Free Printable
You will want to use this free printable bird template to make it easier. To use this, just click on the link, and you will be taken to a new window to view the PDF. Once on the PDF, you just click print and then use that to create the bird outline on your felt.
(PDF) – Download the FREE printable template for birds
It’s a really simple project, and it's so much fun. These make lovely homemade gifts for Easter or any other upcoming special occasion! Make them part of your family’s Easter traditions every year.
DIY Felt Bird Paperclip Bookmarks
Materials Needed to make one felt bird paperclip:
- Felt sheet or scraps (any coordinating colors of your choosing): tonal colors for each bird, orange, black
- Jumbo paperclip, 80mm, silver
- Fabric scissors
- Printable Bird template
- Glue gun with clear hot glue sticks
- Sewing needle and matching thread
1. Print off the template.
2. Using fabric scissors, cut 2 pieces of the small circular eyes in black felt color.
3. Using fabric scissors, cut 2 pieces of the triangular beak in the orange felt color.
4. Using fabric scissors, cut 2 pieces of the wing pattern in a coordinating tonal felt color.
5. Using fabric scissors, cut 2 pieces of the large bird pattern in the main felt color.
6. Preheat the hot glue gun.
7. Position both sides of the bird pattern facing opposite directions.
8. Add glue to the back side of the wing just along the top and outer edges as shown and press in place onto the bird. Repeat on the reverse side.
9. Add glue to the back side of the beak and press in place. Repeat on the reverse side.
10. Add glue to the back side of the eye and press in place. Repeat on the reverse side.
11. Flip the birds so the wrong sides are facing up and glue the main bird pieces together.
12. Trim any excess felt edges that are misaligned.
13. Chose a back side since both sides of the bird are the same. Position the jumbo paper clip on the backside of the felt bird underneath the wing.
14. Using a matching thread color and sewing needle attach the top section of the paper clip to the felt taking care not to stitch through to the other side. The stitching should not be visible on either side. Secure in place.
15. When stitched, the bird will swivel up and down with ease.
16. Mark your place in a book and enjoy!
What Are Your Other Favorite DIY Bookmark Ideas?
Wonderfull.. I like it
THANKs so much